• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good Tyre Brand....!

abcjayasinghe

To be fair on Gayan, while a stiff ride is good and all, there are times you just want to get to where you want to and the 'sportier' stuff can get annoying. Switching tyres to something he can live with seems more sensible than switching to another car don't you think?

• Like 1

GayanR is right. Road noise in Mazda is quite annoying especially when combined with certain tyres. I switched to Michelin XM2 which is also low rolling resistance type. Though I had to sacrifice the grip a little bit, ride is quiet and comfortable now.

Edited by whatever

You buy BMWs and Mazdas for handling and road feel. If you don't want them go for a Toyota where road feel is non existent regardless of the brand of tire!!

Classic brand generalisation :)

You can buy Tyres which give you reasonable feel with a softer ride. Pirelli P Zeros are a good example. In the SL market Falkens in particularly offer a harsh but durable ride due to the harder compound they use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Guys.. Need Some help. I need to replace the tyres of my KIA jeep.

Size P 235 / 60 R16.

Went to few places and following are the considered brands at my budget.

Roadstone - 16,000

Nexen - 15,900

Nankang - 18,900

Deestone - 21,000

Maxxis - 21,750

Hankook - 21,835

GT - didn't find a place yet

I'm driving mainly in Colombo suburbs and once a month outstation drive ( both good and bad roads mix) . Any advice / recommendation you can give interms of grip, thread life, comfort and noise ? any other brand you recommend?

I have used CEAT 13" (155/65/13 I think) tires in a Ford Festiva. At first I was reluctant to switch but several tire merchants said CEATs are now better than they used to be. Another compelling reason was the price; they were the cheapest. So I thought of trying.

Used a pair as front tires. As I remember, I got around 10000 on them by the time I sold the vehicle and there were more than 50% thread remaining. I drove on normal roads and hiway during that time and they were OK. I had to run on some bad roads occassionally too. It was just an A to B car, so cannot comment on performance etc. They were quite hard so not that much comfortable.

Guys.. Need Some help. I need to replace the tyres of my KIA jeep.

Size P 235 / 60 R16.

Went to few places and following are the considered brands at my budget.

Roadstone - 16,000

Nexen - 15,900

Nankang - 18,900

Deestone - 21,000

Maxxis - 21,750

Hankook - 21,835

GT - didn't find a place yet

I'm driving mainly in Colombo suburbs and once a month outstation drive ( both good and bad roads mix) . Any advice / recommendation you can give interms of grip, thread life, comfort and noise ? any other brand you recommend?

Out of the ones you mentioned, I would go for Nexen, and while they are the cheapest they are a pretty good budget Tyre made in Korea.

If budget was not an issue I would buy Hankook, Nankang or Maxxis

Thank you Don.. I would narrowdown my list to three now :)

Nexen - 15,900

Nankang - 18,900

Hankook - 21,835

Mixed Reviews found on web. Nexen main complaint was noise, cracks etc where Nankang was complaint on low wet grip. But all those are UK reviews may not be valid for Sri Lanka weather and road conditions.

Any expert advice to narrow this down to one ?

Thank you Don.. I would narrowdown my list to three now :)

Nexen - 15,900

Nankang - 18,900

Hankook - 21,835

Mixed Reviews found on web. Nexen main complaint was noise, cracks etc where Nankang was complaint on low wet grip. But all those are UK reviews may not be valid for Sri Lanka weather and road conditions.

Any expert advice to narrow this down to one ?

I deal with Tires for a living. US Market is different to what we have in SL but the Chinese and Korean Tire Producers have made a huge impact over the past several years.

Hankook is in par with Kumho which are Both Korean brands. Works well for the price.

Nexen Tires are widely available as well. But I'm unable to comment due to lack of experience with the brand. Considered a low tier option in the US passenger and light truck market. Mostly compared with Chinese brands.

Nankang is Indonesian i guess? Similar to GT Savero may be??

And for the general readers 5 top-tier brands I believe to deliver the best results: Very costly in the local market, i know.

- Michelin

- Bridgestone

- Continental

- Good Year

- Yokohama

Also a lot of people don't know Micheling owns BFGoodrich, Bridgestone owns Firestone, Continental has General and Good Year has Dunlop.

Good luck with your purchase!

• Like 1

Running hankook dynapro atm 31-10.5 r15's on my truck

so far, very impressed with them...

I got them a notch over 90k mark

have used GT Savero's and Maxxis before

wet grip, handling, road noise and even the tread pattern is better on the Hk's

I've had them on for less than an year though so still lot more to go.

• 2 months later...

Also (and this is something that should be obvious), there are multiple variants within the same brand that offer different performance, slight variation on mpg etc. When you say Maxxis or Nexen it does not make real sense as Maxxis MA-P is vastly different to MA-Z and Nexen RO-5*1 is different to RU-5 etc. Just cited those examples as those are what I have used and experienced. So within the same brand, you have products that may compare differently across brands.

In my experience a Sorento with Nexen RU-5's drive much better, with lesser noise and maybe even lesser wear than Kumho 781 radials and at a slightly lesser or similar price point.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
56 minutes ago, vidura said:

any one used westlake tires.

I got 195. 60 15R tires for 8800/=

Westlake is another chinese brand. Most chinese tires deteriorate quicker than Japanese or Korean ones. You can do about 25k with a pair of chinese while a pair of japs/koreans/europeans would do around 40k.

Whether its value for money is your decision. I never had any problems in stopping, handling or comfort with the chinese but they just don't last that long.

(I have chinese tyres on both cars of mine - different brands. Now planning to move to Nexen/Kumho or something Korean for the Focus).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Westlake is another chinese brand. Most chinese tires deteriorate quicker than Japanese or Korean ones. You can do about 25k with a pair of chinese while a pair of japs/koreans/europeans would do around 40k.

Whether its value for money is your decision. I never had any problems in stopping, handling or comfort with the chinese but they just don't last that long.

(I have chinese tyres on both cars of mine - different brands. Now planning to move to Nexen/Kumho or something Korean for the Focus).

The previous owner of my car put some chinese brands and gave me... I drove only 6000km now with the new tyres, and they are already worn out as the car pulls to a side even though alignment and all are done perfectly...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 11:58 AM, Crosswind said:

now most of the Chinese tires come with 40000km warranty. 

I replaced my car's tyres last weekend. Here's a good comparison of Chinese tyres with one from Germany. The photo says it all.

In defence of the Chinese tyres, their performance (handling, wet stopping and dry stopping) was fine even to the day I removed them. They are also a little more comfortable and gentler on the suspension than the German ones. Best part is I can buy 4 Chinese tyres for the price I would spend for one German/Japanese tyre of the same size (205/50 - R17).

I would say if durability is not a problem, the Chinese tyres would do alright.

Now I have Nexen (Korean) tyres on my car. I was a terrible mistake which I am stuck with.

IMG_20161009_124937.jpg

• Like 1