• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Warranty And Free Service

koolb

Question

When I was looking for new car, advertisements and car salesman's talk about the warranty and free service for the car. Some say you would be a getting a warranty from Sterling Japan with free services and other say you get free services for Auto Miraj. If Sterling warranty is included generally the price is couple of laks more. But when I ask about details about of service they were not able to provide me with the clear answer.

1. Has anyone use this free service from sterling Japan. Who are the local dealers or contact point ?

2. Has anyone claim the sterling warranty ? If so from where and how ?

3. Is sterling warranty is real at all ?

Companies like renault actually rent the battery to users and charge a monthly fee which then gets used for its replacement later in life!

Sound like a very practical way to cover the battery replacement cost Don,but it will not work in Srilanka.

Because the typical Thell higanna will cr@p in his pants if he hears about a "monthly-fee" for the hybrid battery,which will ruin his fuel cost savings.

• Like 1

Sound like a very practical way to cover the battery replacement cost Don,but it will not work in Srilanka.

Because the typical Thell higanna will cr@p in his pants if he hears about a "monthly-fee" for the hybrid battery,which will ruin his fuel cost savings.

True, this is why so many hybrids are being sold so quickly after purchase. Owners taking the hit on initial deppreciation to avoid spending on the battery. Second hand prices have also dropped spectacularly.

A friend bought a fairly new Civic Hybrid for 4.7 million a couple of years ago, sold a couple of weeks ago for 3.1 million with only 40k kms on it. It had started to display symptoms of the above IMA battery issues. Fact is it would have been cheaper for him to have it repaired even at his own cost but sadly he had to leave the country for a year, so rather than keep it on ice and possibly make it worse, he sold it on and took the loss.

I have had a very bad experience with this hybrid warranty people starting with k***. They are not willing to bring down and replace parts that come under the power-train warranty. The worst service ever I would say. This was given to me by the car sale where i bought a Honda fit gp5 and they pretty-much sold this as a hassle free warranty. Well, its attached to a famous service chain as well, which doesn't really give much value.

The first few times they attended to it, but it was such a hassle needed to carry the vehicle to the service center, and then they take it to their repair center in negombo. And once they fix it temporarily, they send it back, but then again its dusty and not clean at all at return. I had to pay for the petrol they have tested the car and all that. But then again the same problem comes back.

But, the guy who works at the workshop in negombo which seperately operated also seems to be quite good and he makes sense. Just that when the warranty company, service agent and the workshop gets together it becomes a bad soup. I had to contact each and every person to get something done.

And at the end they suggested to do quick fixes as well and i felt that they do not want to bring down the part required which made the car stall from time to time. And also, when you try to contact the warranty company, the guy who is in charge does not pick up the phone. I doubt anyone else had a good experience from this place. So this is m two cents about this joint and avoid is what i suggest. Hope this helps.

The so called auto warranties are not worth the paper they are written on, unless it is offered by a main agent.

The only way this will become better is for the government to legislate and make auto warranties become insurance products, which will require the said companies to have an insurance company licens, be regulated and come under the insurance ombudsman.

Frankly this is how its done everywhere else!

On 4/21/2013 at 1:14 PM, koolb said:

When I was looking for new car, advertisements and car salesman's talk about the warranty and free service for the car. Some say you would be a getting a warranty from Sterling Japan with free services and other say you get free services for Auto Miraj. If Sterling warranty is included generally the price is couple of laks more. But when I ask about details about of service they were not able to provide me with the clear answer.

1. Has anyone use this free service from sterling Japan. Who are the local dealers or contact point ?

2. Has anyone claim the sterling warranty ? If so from where and how ?

3. Is sterling warranty is real at all ?

Not at all.  It's basically taking the customer for a joy ride. 

My personal experience is that in future to go for without Warranty basis for a lesser value for any vehicle. 

And handle the so called waranty by yourself.

And be in peace and happy than wasting your precious time and energy with these so called organizations which do not know the meaning of WARANTY at the first place. 

Well, These days I  am searching about the warranty for reconditioned cars. Specifically in Europe these cover availability and now I will say it. Even a reconditioned car sell to EU,warranty remains for 36000km or 3years which ever occur First. I have downloaded   the way they offer warranty and hope to add this page.

I have noticed few defects  past recent in Sri Lanka.even brand new vehicles too

Suzuki vagon R 2018/19

Nissan X trail

Mitsubishi  Eclipse cross (auto break)

Mitsubishi Montero V 98gear box

Most parts made in china or fully assembled in other countries but mentioned made in Japan(may be).I think the quality standard in Japan and other countries are different and vehicles made outside of Japan are cannot reliable.

What  will happen if it continues to Japanese vehicles?

3 hours ago, madhusharest said:

Well, These days I  am searching about the warranty for reconditioned cars. Specifically in Europe these cover availability and now I will say it. Even a reconditioned car sell to EU,warranty remains for 36000km or 3years which ever occur First. I have downloaded   the way they offer warranty and hope to add this page.

You can buy a recon Toyota with the agent's warranty in Sri Lanka now.

Toyota Lanka has started importing used vehicles certified by Toyota Japan to Sri Lanka.

8 hours ago, madhusharest said:

I have noticed few defects  past recent in Sri Lanka.even brand new vehicles too

Suzuki vagon R 2018/19

Nissan X trail

Most parts made in china or fully assembled in other countries but mentioned made in Japan(may be).I think the quality standard in Japan and other countries are different and vehicles made outside of Japan are cannot reliable.

Not entirely true now (so your research needs to be expanded)...for the better part of the last decade;  

cars manufactured in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, etc...by  Japanese manufacturers have improved drastically. So where build quality is concerned it is as good as being manufactured in Japan. The difference mostly comes from differences in models (where they would manufacturer low cost models or models for harsh environments) with less refined (and/or more rugged) materials to finish off (like the type of plastics and cloth used for the interior).

I mentioned this in a previous post you made as well. The issue is the manufacture gives the warranty only within the market he car was sold/intended for. So if you buy a car designed for Europe or Japan and import it to Sri Lanka the warranty does not apply. It is not a matter of how many users it has. The only way you can get the warranty for these cars is to go to the local agent and pay a hefty amount of money to get the warranty services.

4 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

You can buy a recon Toyota with the agent's warranty in Sri Lanka now.

Toyota Lanka has started importing used vehicles certified by Toyota Japan to Sri Lanka.

So that means they get the cars from Toyota U-Car lots...(which are mainly trade ins and then any issues fixed up before being sold). The warranty these cars come with in Japan is the standard warranty all used car dealers have to give...when bringing here...Toyota probably can expand this "Toyota Japan" warranty as they are the official agents.

14 hours ago, madhusharest said:

Suzuki vagon R 2018/19

Nissan X trail

What s the problem of v98 gear box ????

Just For my information...

Sorry... but i m using  v98s for more than 6 years... had a 78 before that ( infact a converted one from 75 to 78)..... never had a problem in the gear box...

Edited by priyanka

23 hours ago, madhusharest said:

First of all, vehicles getting completely made in Japan ended somewhere in the 1980s. Even in early 2000s, Indian made Altos and Thailand-made Hondas were imported to Japan. However, our mudalalis imported them as recon units to Sri Lanka and told our intelligent public (like you, who believe that there's some Japanese magic going on with quality) that those were made in Japan.

Japanese don't do magic when it comes to quality. Japanese are not from another planet. In fact, quality standards in most industrialized countries are now in par with each other. 

Most Japanese vehicles in 90s and early 2000s were reliable because they were using OLD technology. Japanese vehicle industry was at least 10 years behind Europeans when it came to technology adoption. For example, most Japanese cars before 2010 didn't even have cruise control, but cruise control became mainstream in Europe in the 1980s. However, after 2010 or so, Japanese started adopting technology faster - DCT gearboxes, collision detection systems - you name it.

The moment Japanese started technology adoption, their weaknesses started to show. That's the reason why Japanese vehicles have started to become less reliable now.  Anybody can build a car with 20-year old technology and make it reliable. Have you ever heard of an unreliable Maruti?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Most Japanese vehicles in 90s and early 2000s were reliable because they were using OLD technology. Japanese vehicle industry was at least 10 years behind Europeans when it came to technology adoption. For example, most Japanese cars before 2010 didn't even have cruise control, but cruise control became mainstream in Europe in the 1980s. However, after 2010 or so, Japanese started adopting technology faster - DCT gearboxes, collision detection systems - you name it.

The moment Japanese started technology adoption, their weaknesses started to show. That's the reason why Japanese vehicles have started to become less reliable now.  Anybody can build a car with 20-year old technology and make it reliable. Have you ever heard of an unreliable Maruti?

It's not like Europeans are way better at it, apparently, VAG's DSG transmission has a high failure rate in India just like Honda's DCT in Sri Lanka...

But unlike the majority of Japanese and European consumers, Sri Lankans run their cars to the ground so Japanese cars becoming less and less reliable is more of a concern to us - and the manufacturers don't seem to give two hoots.

#BringBack121sand240s :D 

Well...the Japanese tend to have a long long long R&D cycle....for example, Toyota was working on their downsized turbo charged engines since like the mid late 90s but put them in to production cars only since less than half a decade ago. Yes..the Japanese had turbo charged engines in the 70s and 80s but that was mainly to get more power out of large engines. So the Japanese tend to play more of a catch up game. Japanese cars sold in Europe and the US actually had more safety features and tech (Cruise control, etc..) than the same car's Japanese variants (although the same tech in Japan were only available in higher segment models). Technologies like VSC, auto braking, etc.. were getting put in to cars in Japan on a rapid basis over the last few years because of Japanese legislature, whilst. All cars being sold after February 2019 are required to have Stability Control, Traction control, etc....by February 2020 (or 2021) all cars sold in Japan are required to have some sort of auto braking assist and an auto emergency service calling feature. These technologies in Japan are being rolled out in recognition of the aging population....

As for cars running to the ground...well the world's focus has changed. Yes the Japanese built ars that would run for 30-40 years (although the Japanese themselves did not want them...which is sort of bad because its almost like dumping their crap on the rest of the world). It is that we Sri Lankans are stuck in the mid 80s. The world requires vehicles that have more recyclable parts that either biodegrade faster or can be reused. So the manufacturers do just that....they want the scrapped cars to make new cars and they want what ever is left to be disposed of. The argument of saying a car being used for 50-60 years is more eco friendly does not work...if that was the case then we Sri Lankans should have far less car imports and the world should see far less vehicle production.