• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Warranty And Free Service

koolb

Question

When I was looking for new car, advertisements and car salesman's talk about the warranty and free service for the car. Some say you would be a getting a warranty from Sterling Japan with free services and other say you get free services for Auto Miraj. If Sterling warranty is included generally the price is couple of laks more. But when I ask about details about of service they were not able to provide me with the clear answer.

1. Has anyone use this free service from sterling Japan. Who are the local dealers or contact point ?

2. Has anyone claim the sterling warranty ? If so from where and how ?

3. Is sterling warranty is real at all ?

sterling is a local car dealer with a yard in japan afaik.

no personal experience, but if u are planning to buy a used car with warranty, get everything in writing. thats the simplest thing to do.

Crosswind,

Sterling started with S L leading dealer who is from Kandy. Even today he is exporting vehicles to him from japan.

Today Sterling is a big time exporter. I cannot say any dealer will honer their word to the last.

Even if you get a written warranty you have to go to courts to settle matters on claims.

There was a very popular importer now he he has stopped importing vehicles. Due to low profit and waiting time to sell them.

I had to attend courts twice to one, for his blunders he made in an import to a lawyer. on his wife's permit.

Importer had money to spend to get down the Japanese exporter with a English translator to attend courts. To give evidence. 15 years ago.

Japanese chamber of commerce do not hold any responsibility for used vehicles.

Even Japanese vehicle exporters are same they say one thing and export some thing. Because I have had problems with few exporters.

I get them to specify on the invoice the chassis number, First registration of the vehicle date.

We Sri Lankans have to take a chance. I have imported vehicles with engine missing and differential hum.

Had to sped money and repair them sold at a profit also.

Now I buy cheap new vehicles, have got fed up with used vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 2

Crosswind,

Sterling started with S L leading dealer who is from Kandy. Even today he is exporting vehicles to him from japan.

Today Sterling is a big time exporter. I cannot say any dealer will honer their word to the last.

Even if you get a written warranty you have to go to courts to settle matters on claims.

There was a very popular importer now he he has stopped importing vehicles. Due to low profit and waiting time to sell them.

I had to attend courts twice to one, for his blunders he made in an import to a lawyer. on his wife's permit.

Importer had money to spend to get down the Japanese exporter with a English translator to attend courts. To give evidence. 15 years ago.

Japanese chamber of commerce do not hold any responsibility for used vehicles.

Even Japanese vehicle exporters are same they say one thing and export some thing. Because I have had problems with few exporters.

I get them to specify on the invoice the chassis number, First registration of the vehicle date.

We Sri Lankans have to take a chance. I have imported vehicles with engine missing and differential hum.

Had to sped money and repair them sold at a profit also.

Now I buy cheap new vehicles, have got fed up with used vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr Wijesinghe,

What are you trying to say? Do you mean to say its better for koolb to get a car without warranty from sterling?

Crosswind

Mr Wijesinghe,

What are you trying to say? Do you mean to say its better for koolb to get a car without warranty from sterling?

Crosswind

Or to buy a cheap brand new vehicle like a Geely than a near new Japanese vehicle with a warranty that may or may not be honored.

Edited by iRage

Mr. Crosswind and Mr.iRage,

Reply to post of mine. I have posted my opinion, this some members will not agree. Some facts are given below.

What I want to explain to all used Vehicle buyers, What they buy in S L unless the vehicle is below 30000 Kilometers. One year or one and half.

If buyer have to pay very high cost it is better to go for a new Japanese. If not cheap some other makes available in S L new.

Few used vehicle importers will honour their word. Most will give some excuse to get away from the guarantee.

All guarantees and assurances by used car importers are only until they sell a vehicle of theirs.

After sales most importers do not have a facility like reputed agents to service a vehicle.

They do not have knowledge of Vehicles a Service adviser to advice. What most importers do is to send to a Work shop known to do the repair.

I Personally know when the Diesels with very first DPF arrived to S L.One importer did not know the function of that.

After paying 5.5 Million Rupees.The new buyer could not take his new used vehicle home 123 Kilometers from Colombo had problems.

He had to load the vehicle into a lorry had to get down to Colombo. Importer paid for the repair and other charges.because it failed in one day.

New buyer was able to use same repaired Vehicle only for three days. Had to do the same thing back to Colombo.He was fed up with the vehicle

Wanted his money back. Vehicle is registered with a leasing. Importer faced a big problem. Importer gave him two options.

The buyer had to waste time till he sells the registered vehicle to return his money,

Next option was to buy without DPF new model at a higher cost which he had with an a additional payment.

Buyer of the used vehicle had complained to consumer protection authority. Also consulted lawyers to get the money back.

Later he found it is a delaying process and decided to buy with a additional payment. The other vehicle importer offered.

This is what happening in most used vehicles in other countries which are brought down by Importers.

I being a pioneer used vehicle importer from 1977 have made good money, never cheated a buyer. Always do up the vehicle and sell same.

At that time there was no time limit for a used vehicles all of them came with a new paint new tires new battery. Fairly good running condition.

Like today 5 years and three years. From the first registration.

That was a blessing for starved vehicle market we had for 17 years. Japanese vehicles were a big attraction at that time. Due to low cost.

I for my daily running I use a very cheap new vehicle. Only family use I use a Micro new import.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

If Sterling warranty is included generally the price is couple of laks more. - The buyer pays a premium
Buyer of the used vehicle had complained to consumer protection authority. Also consulted lawyers to get the money back. - The buyer pays for lawyer, again a premium, perhaps a bit disproportionate one this time!

I being a pioneer used vehicle importer from 1977 have made good money, never cheated a buyer. Always do up the vehicle and sell same. - Again I'm sure there would be a premium on the base price.

The bottom line is, whatever the approach is the buyer would have to pay a premium on protecting his interests!

Personally I would not bother with a warranty unless it is from a main dealer who has been importing vehicles to Sri Lanka for more than a decade for a brand new vehicle. Instead make sure you're getting a good car by getting in thoroughly inspected and then save the money to spend on maintenance later on.

The bottom line is, whatever the approach is the buyer would have to pay a premium on protecting his interests!

Rumesh88,

Yes you have said the correct thing. Buyer pays for all costs and the importers profit also. No importer will sell at a loss. In any import.

It may be a vehicle or a consumer article the profit is added to the cost.Unless the selling price is controlled by a authority.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Personally I would not bother with a warranty unless it is from a main dealer who has been importing vehicles to Sri Lanka for more than a decade for a brand new vehicle. Instead make sure you're getting a good car by getting in thoroughly inspected and then save the money to spend on maintenance later on.

The Don,

You have posted a very sensible reply. Check thoroughly buy a vehicle. Save later to maintain same.

Country like ours we cannot expect the integrity of importers and dealers.

We need money to exist in this society. Every one is running behind Rupees and cents.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 2

When I was looking for new car, advertisements and car salesman's talk about the warranty and free service for the car. Some say you would be a getting a warranty from Sterling Japan with free services and other say you get free services for Auto Miraj. If Sterling warranty is included generally the price is couple of laks more. But when I ask about details about of service they were not able to provide me with the clear answer.

1. Has anyone use this free service from sterling Japan. Who are the local dealers or contact point ?

Koolb,

Almost all reply posts are not a answer to your post. Read the posts you will find how our dealers are.

My reply to you is to buy a used as you want to buy a used vehicle.

As Moderator Don says Check thoroughly buy a vehicle.

From a reputed dealer or from a single vehicle importer without expecting a warranty.

Do a test drive if it is imported recently. Do not worry about the how many kilometers done.

Understand you are buying a used vehicle not a new one. Expect repairs to come.

The original user had sold the vehicle to some reason not known to us.

Even new vehicles there are premature failures.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

As most have concluded it is useless to spend aditional money on a warent,

considering the consumer rights in sri lanka

minor prints in agreements people will find a way to slip awaay from a problem.

Specialy those vehicles with warrenties will not give problems during the first couple of years which they will cover,

because in sri lanka the repai costs are pretty reasonable it is not necessory for a warenty.

My conclution also is save the aditional money and maintain the vehicle properly with it.

And if there is a repair even after the couple of years expired the money you saved could be used for it.

Bumping thread with my recent experience :

Yes. My car came with three free services and I've used them. They have an After Care service centre in Kadawatha.

Yes. Claimed warranty for Hybrid battery. Battery started acting up and when I took the car to their after care centre and they offered a replacement. It took around one month for the battery to arrive in SL and 1 day for the replacement procedure.

From my experience, yes. The 1-2 extra lacks i paid for warranty saved me approx Rs 600000 so far. I have three years warranty for hybrid batt and 2 years for engine and transmission. So from my experience, it was worth it.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 3

Bumping thread with my recent experience :

Yes. My car came with three free services and I've used them. They have an After Care service centre in Kadawatha.

Yes. Claimed warranty for Hybrid battery. Battery started acting up and when I took the car to their after care centre and they offered a replacement. It took around one month for the battery to arrive in SL and 1 day for the replacement procedure.

From my experience, yes. The 1-2 extra lacks i paid for warranty saved me approx Rs 600000 so far. I have three years warranty for hybrid batt and 2 years for engine and transmission. So from my experience, it was worth it.

Can't believe this stuff. It's like a fairy tale :sport-smiley-004:

Can't believe this stuff. It's like a fairy tale :sport-smiley-004:

How else do you want me to say it? I posted what happened. Do you want more drama?

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post though was they forgot (or did not know about) to do the battery control module software update. Apparently for certain battery replacement scenarios you have to change the control module software .Then again even Stafford motors had no clue about this. I got this done myself so if any of you guys do change your hybrid battery this way, just check the service bulletins by your manufacturer to make sure there is no software mismatch.

Edited by ramishkad

How else do you want me to say it? I posted what happened. Do you want more drama?

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post though was they forgot (or did not know about) to do the battery control module software update. Apparently for certain battery replacement scenarios you have to change the control module software .Then again even Stafford motors had no clue about this. I got this done myself so if any of you guys do change your hybrid battery this way, just check the service bulletins by your manufacturer to make sure there is no software mismatch.

If we need to get the benefits from sterling warranty , what are the documents we should be having with us? Or all that takes is having the sterling care sticker on the back glass? :sport-smiley-027:

If we need to get the benefits from sterling warranty , what are the documents we should be having with us? Or all that takes is having the sterling care sticker on the back glass? :sport-smiley-027:

I don't think having the sticker alone is enough. In my case I was asked to produce the warranty booklet they issue upon purchasing the vehicle (this has the service record logs, warranty terms etc). And from what I understand, you need to service your car from Sterling throughout the warranty period (not just the free services) for the warranty to be valid.

Ramishkad, if you don't mind the trouble please do a detailed thread/post on the battery replacement. Chain of events that lead to the replacement and what's involved with the whole procedure what to look out for etc. I'm sure it'll be very helpful for our hybrid friends.

about 2. could you give more details about how you knew battery was "acting-up",

was it a Prius or insight?

How much was the car mileage/age when it started?

Thanks.

Edited by RViji

about 2. could you give more details about how you knew battery was "acting-up",

was it a Prius or insight?

How much was the car mileage/age when it started?

Thanks.

Hi,

I knew there was something wrong with the battery when the IMA warning indicator started flashing in the dashboard intermittently. And I noticed frequent re-calibrations of the battery and the charge dropping quicker than normal. One thing to note is that this did not impact the regular functionality of the car that much. Even my overall fuel consumption did not change while it had these battery issues.

The vehicle is a Civic Hybrid. It had sat idle for more than a month (being imported from Japan + sitting at a car lot) and this has affected the NiMH battery and it had started deteriorating. The thing with the Civic is that its the worst car to have parked idle for days. The more miles you run with it, the better it is. It's a high mile runners vehicle. The vehicle had clocked 24000km when i bought it. Battery issues started around 29000 km. Replaced battery at 31000km. Have run nearly 20k km on the new battery and it's performing without any issues. I run roughly 1500-2000km per month.

Here is how the warranty procedure went, for those who asked:

1. Took the car to Sterling aftercare center after IMA indicator came up several times.

2. Could not reproduce the issue at Sterling (no warning light came on). Their equipment could not read the stored fault code.

3. I was asked to get a IMA health report from Stafford. Went to Stafford and got the report. It showed the stored fault code and showed the hybrid battery capacity was low.

4. Showed report to Sterling. They agreed to provide a new battery in about a months time.

5. They called me once the batteries arrived (took about a month as promised) and I did not have to nag.

6. Took the car to Sterling. Had to leave it there overnight for one day.

7. Picked it up next day and the battery was installed. Apparently it was a brand new battery, not a reconditioned one. They had done my free service at the same time as well.

And i have to mention that when I purchased the vehicle, Sterling did not offer a warranty for the hybrid battery. So my warranty certificate did not have that clause. They started offering it after a couple of months since i bought the vehicle. After the battery replacement, they were kind enough to attach the battery warranty to my warranty certificate.

One thing to note is that they did not seem to be aware that new battery needed a software update (since the installed one was a newer type than the one I had). Even Stafford did not seem to have a clue about this although it's mentioned in the Honda service bulletin on battery replacements (either that or they didnt have the proper software). I got the software update done from my own technician after about 6 months since battery replacement. However, running without the proper battery control module software is not optimal and not recommended so Sterling might want to get up to date on this department.

Hope this answers the questions.

Edited by ramishkad
  • Like 2

Hi,

I knew there was something wrong with the battery when the IMA warning indicator started flashing in the dashboard intermittently. And I noticed frequent re-calibrations of the battery and the charge dropping quicker than normal. One thing to note is that this did not impact the regular functionality of the car that much. Even my overall fuel consumption did not change while it had these battery issues.

The vehicle is a Civic Hybrid. It had sat idle for more than a month (being imported from Japan + sitting at a car lot) and this has affected the NiMH battery and it had started deteriorating. The thing with the Civic is that its the worst car to have parked idle for days. The more miles you run with it, the better it is. It's a high mile runners vehicle. The vehicle had clocked 24000km when i bought it. Battery issues started around 29000 km. Replaced battery at 31000km. Have run nearly 20k km on the new battery and it's performing without any issues. I run roughly 1500-2000km per month.

parking for one month damages the hybrid battery?But this is unavoidable,since it will be parked during the shipping.

so the best way to optimize on free service/warranty of a hybrid would be.

1.Run the car very often until the end of warranty nears.

2.Keep the car parked for a while when its near the end of Warranty,and try to produce a battery error.

3.Bring it to the service and get a free new battery under 2more years of warranty.

4.repeat 1~3 every 2 years.

and you save approx. 6laks for battery replacement,and also the fuel savings over lifetime.

two birds with one stone!

Edited by RViji
  • Like 1

parking for one month damages the hybrid battery?But this is unavoidable,since it will be parked during the shipping.

so the best way to optimize on free service/warranty of a hybrid would be.

1.Run the car very often until the end of warranty nears.

2.Keep the car parked for a while when its near the end of Warranty,and try to produce a battery error.

3.Bring it to the service and get a free new battery under 2more years of warranty.

4.repeat 1~3 every 2 years.

and you save approx. 6laks for battery replacement,and also the fuel savings over lifetime.

two birds with one stone!

It may not exactly be a month. But I guess it's in that ballpark. As for shipping, the service manual gives several steps to disconnect the hybrid battery and place it in storage if the car is not being used for long. But I doubt our importers do this. Either way from what I know, even the replacement battery could have issues to begin with if its shelf life was too long.

Your suggestion to get new batteries every 2 years might work. But I for one would not feel comfortable doing that. It feels like insurance fraud. Also I dont think warranty extends by 2 years every time you do a battery replacement.

And I will be royally screwed if the battery didnt immediately show a fault code but developed the problem over time, like 5-10 thousand km later which is usually the case.

Edited by ramishkad

Chaps comitting insurance fraud is going to end up ruining it for everybody. When the insurance costs go up, so will the cost of policies, and ultimately the companies will pass the costs to us, the consumer.

The fact is when you run a hybrid, you need to plan for a battery replacement, and accept that as part of regular maintenance. Companies like renault actually rent the battery to users and charge a monthly fee which then gets used for its replacement later in life!