• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda 323 Buying Help

GayanR

Question

Guys i have come across a mazda 323 sedan.I think it's a special edition it has got a vvti engine,all 4 disc brakes,with triptronic transmission..Is it risky to buy a special edition??..would it be hard to find gearbox and parts??Or should i buy a normal one?

7 answers to this question

If looked after carefully, Special Edition Familia's that come with Triptronic gear boxes and VVTi engines are actually exciting pieces of machinery to drive. They also come with sports tuned suspension and stiff steering. So, you will be surprised with the performance, handling and the driving pleasure you will get compared to most of the other mid sized Jap sedans in the same league. Just go for a rather lengthy drive and check whether the triptronic system works fine and listen for any roughness in the engine. If the Mazda VVT engine is not maintained properly with regular oil changes, it tends to build up sludge and the engine tends to be noisy specially during cold starts. Apart from regular oil changes, there's nothing special you should do to maintain it. I think same thing applies to the gear box as well. They are not known for any other common problems as far as i know. So, if the car is in good shape, no worries. In fact, your rather lucky to find one coz, most of the owners of special edition 323's are not willing to sell them. It's a car that can build that special soft spot within you where you tend to keep it forever :smilie_liebe9:

If looked after carefully, Special Edition Familia's that come with Triptronic gear boxes and VVTi engines are actually exciting pieces of machinery to drive. They also come with sports tuned suspension and stiff steering. So, you will be surprised with the performance, handling and the driving pleasure you will get compared to most of the other mid sized Jap sedans in the same league. Just go for a rather lengthy drive and check whether the triptronic system works fine and listen for any roughness in the engine. If the Mazda VVT engine is not maintained properly with regular oil changes, it tends to build up sludge and the engine tends to be noisy specially during cold starts. Apart from regular oil changes, there's nothing special you should do to maintain it. I think same thing applies to the gear box as well. They are not known for any other common problems as far as i know. So, if the car is in good shape, no worries. In fact, your rather lucky to find one coz, most of the owners of special edition 323's are not willing to sell them. It's a car that can build that special soft spot within you where you tend to keep it forever :smilie_liebe9:

HI lastneo tanx for the info.I'm curious to know weather sport suspension are comfortable same as the regular sedan??stiff steering also??

HI lastneo tanx for the info.I'm curious to know weather sport suspension are comfortable same as the regular sedan??stiff steering also??

Well, I think the opinion on these type of features will vary according to personal preference isn't it? As for me, I'm perfectly OK with both features. The best thing would be to actually take the car for a rather lengthy ride and experience it yourself.

Like most of the members have stated, this limited edition is a good but as long as you know the pitfalls.

Personally I prefer MT against tiptronic transmission which if not maintained carefully can be your worst night mare as I’ve gone through.

The worries are now over as I got it sorted . found a chap who can handle the box.

It’s hard to find out the issues – during a cold start if it does not shift in to drive position, and it takes a few minutes to engage - it means you have trouble .

Is this a white colored hatch ???