• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Holden Fb Special Restoration Project

JadeyBlitzen

I've been hearing about this old Holden gathering dust at a cousin's grandmothers house for years. But I never got to see it cos the shed was guarded by vicious-ish dogs and I rather like my bits and pieces the way they are. Anyway my curiosity got the best of me so I went with my cousin to chase the dogs and check it out. and there it was.

603729_10151533169156259_1034913021_n.jp

My cousin was looking for something special to get about in. And we both decided this is the perfect car for the job, if we fix it that is.

a bit of background on the car, Holdens were always somewhat scaled down copies of their contemporary yank tanks. If you feel like you've seen this car before that's because the designer took inspiration from the '56 chevy belair. Power wise it was already 20 years behind when it came out in 1960 sporting a sidevalve 2.3 straight six. But I'm guessing its a rugged sort of a slacker. Its got drum brakes all round and need i mention the cart springs at the back. I don't see anything ahead of its time about this car just hardy reliable transportation that the aussies probably seeked in the outback. But over here in 1960 it must have been a real rocketship. It still attracts so much attention.

This car had belonged to my aunt's uncle. When he picked it up from Collett's, the local agent for Holden then, her dad had picked up a Holden as well. My dad says this one was called the "butterfly model" after the wings I suppose, and the other one was called "kota model". While all this was happening on this side of Colombo my mom was going to school on the other side in another Holden, which she recognized as an FC last Sunday. So there had been no shortage of Holdens in our family which made saving this car even more important.

The car was actually oiled and prepared for storage before it came to rest here. According to the revenue license this car must have been taken off the road around 95. So apart from rust and the few holes on the floor it was still in good nick for a 53 year old car. Best of all most of the bits are still on it and the brightwork are still shining. We couldn't wait

So we called a car carrier and this is what happened.

484019_10151533172626259_171796668_n.jpg

733797_10151533166786259_899074000_n.jpg

600412_10151533168576259_177924070_n.jpg

First things first. It needed a wash. partly because it had been the home of several generations of rats. mostly because the owner of the garage, Mahesh insisted. Nice to see our people caring about health and safety,

600437_10151533172501259_1893368726_n.jp

It lost a bit of paint, one fat rat and the precious 95-04 revenue license that was put on it before it was taken off the road. Now its sitting in the garage where we finished the Noah.

602123_10151533170356259_851133728_n.jpg

Its an entirely different project. Its my first restoration job and it looks pretty straight cut at the moment. Most of the parts are still available in Australia and these guys are very comfortable with old cars. I'm going to the garage tomorrow morning and work has hopefully started. This can only end well.

• Like 9

Thanks guys! Its a non runner at the moment. we haven't found the key yet and most of the lines and leads are missing or eaten away. Also the steerings turning freely and I suspect its a worn groove.

First we'll be taking everything apart, removing paint and corrosion and rust proofing everything with some fancy epoxy and oxygen thingy.

First we'll be taking everything apart, removing paint and corrosion and rust proofing everything with some fancy epoxy and oxygen thingy.

Good stuff mate. I can never recollect seeing one of those on the road over here. Might have seen a few at car shows though.

Slightly O.T, what`s the rust proofing thingy you`ve mentioned? I`m cleaning up some rust on the floorboard in my car, don't know of a proper moisture resistant rust proofing product to use (i just apply rust converter + anti corrosive paint for the moment).

That's a Gem in the rough that you've got. Very likely one of a kind in the country now!!

These Holdens are much sort after cars in Aussi and NZ with ample spares available there.

A similar Holden FB in NZ in slightly better condition ( though needing restoration) was picked up for NZ$6000 (Rs.600,000/-)!!

Wish you all the very best on the project!!!

Edited by CJ5

Ebay Aus has a number of bits and pieces you might need, including that gorgeous meter cluster. Getting hold of a wire-harness will be a issue if you can't restore the existing one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Car-Truck-Parts-/6030/i.html?_nkw=holden+fb+sedan&_ipg=200&rt=nc

(The seller of the meter cluster has mentioned that he is breaking his car so it might pay to get in touch with him!)

http://www.earlyholdenparts.com.au/category/fb-holden/

http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/SearchPage.aspx?type=catalogue&pno=0&cat=holden+restoration+parts&catcode=holden+restoration+parts&subcat=INTERIOR&subcatcode=INTERIOR

Whatever u do, don't change that exterior colour combination. Its gorgeous.

Edited by Crosswind

Bad news guys! One of the owner's children is pulling a fuss saying they have partial ownership over the car and its worth 5 million (in her dreams of course) when restored. The other 2 have no issues but she's the most senior and for the sake of family unity we'll have to return the car to its original resting place where it'll sadly rust to the ground cos there's no one else in the family to look after it. I'm just gutted. Its that classic case of somebody in the family resurrecting or trying to resurrect a forgotten family treasure for the the future generations and people who forgot or didn't even care it existed suddenly wanting a piece of it. And its like if they can't have a piece of it no one else can have it.

So I'm terribly sorry for getting all your hopes up high. It turned out to be one of the shortest projects I've ever undertaken and rather than restoring it we are actually bidding farewell to a nice car.

My cousin is most disappointed. He was in love with the classic late 50s american lines of the car and is having a hard time letting go. But we've already started looking for another worthy car to buy and possibly restore and hopefully there will be a longer thread on it :)

Bad news guys! One of the owner's children is pulling a fuss saying they have partial ownership over the car and its worth 5 million (in her dreams of course) when restored. The other 2 have no issues but she's the most senior and for the sake of family unity we'll have to return the car to its original resting place where it'll sadly rust to the ground cos there's no one else in the family to look after it. I'm just gutted. Its that classic case of somebody in the family resurrecting or trying to resurrect a forgotten family treasure for the the future generations and people who forgot or didn't even care it existed suddenly wanting a piece of it. And its like if they can't have a piece of it no one else can have it.

So I'm terribly sorry for getting all your hopes up high. It turned out to be one of the shortest projects I've ever undertaken and rather than restoring it we are actually bidding farewell to a nice car.

My cousin is most disappointed. He was in love with the classic late 50s american lines of the car and is having a hard time letting go. But we've already started looking for another worthy car to buy and possibly restore and hopefully there will be a longer thread on it :)

My deepest sympathies.

I grieve with you and your cousin

:sad-smiley-034::sad-smiley-040::sad-smiley-040::sad-smiley-040::sad-smiley-034::sad-smiley-034::sad-smiley-034:

This is so typical of Sri Lankans!

Anyway you did the right thing by returning it to its original resting place. Never ever touch a car with an unclear ownership. You will just waste a lot of money and time in courts.... all the best buddy.

so sorry to hear about that Jady. :( it's look like typical senior sister behavior any ways all the best and good luck to both you and your cousin.

Oh how I was taken up after seeing the start of this thread!

The famous sinhala saying "Balla piduru kanneth naa - Kana gonaata denneth naa" just came into my mind. Sorry about the situation Jadey, but I'm just glad it happened before you actually started work on the car.

dude, families are before anything else, jealous of one person straying away from their predetermined path. no one likes the maverick. the one who makes a difference.

i lost my whole family over the teg, and learnt the true colours of a few former friends. in the end you should be glad that this car at least exposed the snakes on your lap, as well. it probably has now done more to your future benefit that certain family members have.

i fell your pain, mate. and i sympathise. find something better. build another dream. show them what you're capable of. and that you can't be stopped.

you say goodbye to the holden. i say hello to another project!