• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Use Sim Card Slot In A Pc

udayap

Hello all,

I cam across an availability of a sim card slot in my notebook. Is it meant to be support as a HSDPA modem?. There is no software pre-installed to use it as a HSDPA modem!!!!!.

Guys have you ever used this facility. if so, what is the software i should use. My note book model is "Dell Latitude E6430 ATG".

Hello all,

I cam across an availability of a sim card slot in my notebook. Is it meant to be support as a HSDPA modem?. There is no software pre-installed to use it as a HSDPA modem!!!!!.

Guys have you ever used this facility. if so, what is the software i should use. My note book model is "Dell Latitude E6430 ATG".

Not all cellar modems have the HSPDA capability. Check the list of modems on your computer and you should find it in the list. Connecting would be the same as dialing out.

According to the spec sheet of this PC, it has:

Mobile Broadband & GPS Options:
Dell Wireless 5630 Multi-mode HSPA-EVDO Mini Card (Gobi™ 3000) with A-GPS, Dell Wireless 5560 Single-mode HSPA Mini Card with A-GPS, Dell Wireless 5802 LTE Mobile Broadband (Verizon-US only), Dell Wireless 5804 LTE Mobile Broadband (AT&T-US only)
So did you insert a SIM card into the slot (With a valid data package) and tried whether it works or not?
Just curious: what do you do for a living? This is a military spec laptop!

I had a Dell D630 about 5 years back which had a sim card slot (just like yours) and wasted lot of time trying to get the non-existent HSDPA modem to work!

As dell laptops are customizable, its upto the buyer to select mobile broadband option. But the casings are common to all laptops of the same model. That's why you see the sim card slot but no mobile broadband card or antenna inside. If the laptop came with the mobile broadband card, it will also have the software pre-installed. No software means no mobile broadband card.

If you got the laptop second hand, then check if windows detect an unknown device. If so, it probably has the card. You can download the driver from Dell website.

You can get a card off ebay and do a DIY installation. This is what the card looks like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Studio-1555-1735-1737-HSDPA-Mobile-Broadband-WWAN-Wireless-Modem-Card-XX982-/350571996384?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item519fb824e0

But you need to buy the antenna as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-20-Laptop-Notebook-Internal-Antenna-Mini-PCI-e-Wireless-PCI-WiFi-Dell-HP-NEW-/160983848529?pt=US_Directional_Network_Antennas&hash=item257b629651

Ironically, the wires that connect the sim card slot to the mobile broadband card will be already there in your laptop, even if it doesnt have the card (which was something I found out, after opening my old laptop!)

Even if you go through this, it will still be a waste of money and effort.

Now I use a Thinkpad with an inbuilt Ericsson F3507G HSDPA modem. Believe me it's f**king SLOW! So I've long since given up using the inbuilt broadband and now use a trusted old Huawei USB dongle which beats the s**t out of the Ericsson modem when it comes to speed.

Edited by Crosswind

Thanks all,

This is brand new notebook. As crosswind stated, it seems that i need to add a HSDPA card to use this facility.

As Kirala pointed out, the web information motivated me to search about this non-existent facility. Probably, web information give high-end specs.

thanks all