• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Morris Oxford Vi Saloon 1968 Parts

kalingabd

My dad is restoring his old Morris Oxford VI saloon (6 sri) which he received as a gift from his dad...

Restoring to use it as a wedding car some day ;)

We had to hunt around to get some parts but there are still a few key pieces missing;

1/ The rear lights - do not have originals. prefer if i can get them with the nickle covers.

2/ The rear buffer

3/ The clock inside. :(

Posting a few links of similar cars on the net i found...cudnt get picts of ours tho

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqJuDojCnm4EPQwMCqiY9oCAeNqGi-cS5sVA828duwpi_efGOs

http://slatford.co.uk/Pictures%20of%20Cars/Morris/morris-oxford-1964-l.jpg

we may even buy a similar throwaway car if we can get all the parts available. Any parts apart from the above are also welcome...since we want to keep the car as a family thing for many years to come...

Pls help.

@Crosswind..thanx machna for the quick reply. will deffa post a few photos.

Well i tried ebay...but I couldnot get the stuff i want...and i ve been monitoring it for some time.

I believe i can find the parts in SL however, mainly becoz so many of the cars were put aside aft the war. I visited jaffna 1 1/2 yrs back, and i saw at least 20 oxfords lying around. :smilie_liebe9: surely sm1 must be having access these cars. they are just left to rot..

Did you try S*mana Motors at Panchi???? They are basically the unofficial Morris agents in SL now!!!!

I've seen one or two of these on the roads and they're gorgeous! The best way for you to acquire parts and much needed information is to join a foreign Morris owners' forum. They've got classifieds that have these rare bits for reasonable prices. I'll also keep my eyes open for parts when I'm trolling the internets. :sport-smiley-004:

And Crosswind is correct- we're crazy for restoration threads so start a thread on your car now!

Regards.

Sumana Motors Panchikawatte is basically the go-to place for Austin/Morris parts. You can also take a walk around panchikawatte and look in the nooks and crannies because there are still several shops that have parts for these cars. And I would have suggested Jaffna but it looks like you have already been there..

And as everyone has said, please do open a thread for the car, with pics. Best of luck!

@kalingabd,congrats on planning to restore this car ,please do post pics of the car in its present state and document the process of repairing it like Master Don or Sumiya with pics,also if u have old pics of the car do scan them and post it

Yes these cars were very popular in Jaffna and at one time in the late 70's to late 80's apparently they were a status symbol there,when i last went in 2012 i did see a few of them in pristine condition there,do you have any friends or contacts in Jaffna if so you can ask them to find parts and im sure its easy to get them from one of the scrapped cars (i too did see many scrapped cars there (Oxfords,Cambridges and Minors)

Try clubs in UK and you can find any part that you want only hitch is getting them down

• 2 weeks later...

Hey machanla,

thanx for the info. paid a visit to sumana motors again. planning to get some mechanical stuff from them. but, the body parts those chaps are no originals. hmmmm

and no luck still with finding a scrap car, but i should pay a visit again to panchi and walk around to hunt for the stuff.

im confused, how can i upload picts to the site. should i upload the picts elsewhere and give the link? got the picts but no idea how to upload. sorry guys im new to the forum.

Hey machanla,

thanx for the info. paid a visit to sumana motors again. planning to get some mechanical stuff from them. but, the body parts those chaps are no originals. hmmmm

and no luck still with finding a scrap car, but i should pay a visit again to panchi and walk around to hunt for the stuff.

im confused, how can i upload picts to the site. should i upload the picts elsewhere and give the link? got the picts but no idea how to upload. sorry guys im new to the forum.

kalindabd about two doors next to Sumana there is a shop called "Kuruppu" if I remember right. They have a lot of British parts and Lucas stuff.

Create an account with an image hosting site like imageshack.us.

Then uploa pics there. They will give you many links to use the photo once uploaded. Copy the "direct link" one.

When you are posting here, click on the photo button in the edit window and paste the link there.

Simple

Hey guys,

Here we go, these are the latest I have. I know its a work in progress, i hope it ends up as daily runner smday :)

It was kota ude two weeks back. Havent started the engine since 2000 wage :(

img20130326123431.jpg

img20130326123529.jpg

img20130326123501.jpg

img20130326123505.jpg

img20130326123453k.jpg

img20130326130824.jpg

More to follow!

Hopefully my dad and me could do some justice!

Regds :)

• Like 2

Don, hmm there was a hell of a lot of rust. I do not pictures of it on logs but yes, it looked very bad. We started work on it jan and did up the body, and did one paint of coat on it, to ensure its protected.

At the moment we are working on the brakes--brake pumps, clutch pumps...and preparing to start in a couple of days time after doing a complete engine wash. Mind u, we have no clue of the state of the engine.

My target is one day to bring it to this;

http://www.liftruck.co.uk/morris-oxford-farina-1969-for-sale.htm

DCP00485.JPG

DCP00488.JPG

Long way off...May take 3 months, 6 months or 3 years.....but want to have it running in 3 months...and look guys I am not an expert on cars....hell of a big learning curve for me....

so will ask u guys, any issues I come across...

From my experience, I would like to tell you that you cannot rush it. If you do the chances are that you will have to undo a lot of stuff and redo again. And you will end up spending more. These old cars require sympathetic approach by the restorer/s and that breed is hard to find. What you need to drill into their heads is that you want a perfect job and you are not in a rush. That quality is THE priority.

I know it's frustrating and we tend to get impatient. But if it's messed up that will frustrate you much more. A professional restorer once gave me these words of wisdom. "There is only one way to restore a car, and that's the right way." And there is only one right way! The right way is slow, high quality and expensive with no short cuts.

Initially I did not listen to him and messed up two cars in the process and lost money. Now I know that he was 100% spot on! Don't worry about the time. Worry only about the quality of the work.

I know people who have taken short cuts and rush jobs and are running classic cars that they find impossible to get the optimum satisfaction from driving it. They have relatively high performance cars that would struggle to keep pace with a well driven Morris Minor. That's pointless.

• Like 1

well said GTAm I couldnt agree more

@owner of the Morris,3 months is too optimistic if you want it to pristine showroom spec but patience is well worth it at the end of the day

did you find the spares you were looking for?

From my experience, I would like to tell you that you cannot rush it. If you do the chances are that you will have to undo a lot of stuff and redo again. And you will end up spending more. These old cars require sympathetic approach by the restorer/s and that breed is hard to find. What you need to drill into their heads is that you want a perfect job and you are not in a rush. That quality is THE priority.

I know it's frustrating and we tend to get impatient. But if it's messed up that will frustrate you much more. A professional restorer once gave me these words of wisdom. "There is only one way to restore a car, and that's the right way." And there is only one right way! The right way is slow, high quality and expensive with no short cuts.

Initially I did not listen to him and messed up two cars in the process and lost money. Now I know that he was 100% spot on! Don't worry about the time. Worry only about the quality of the work.

I know people who have taken short cuts and rush jobs and are running classic cars that they find impossible to get the optimum satisfaction from driving it. They have relatively high performance cars that would struggle to keep pace with a well driven Morris Minor. That's pointless.