• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Info On Import Of Any Vehicle !

zeristo

Question

In case I've got a $25000 vehicle permit, and I want a car such as a mercedes benz b class diesel (which is not offered by dealer), is there a possibility of importing the car by any other means ? Third party dealers or so ?

19 answers to this question

zeristo,

As member Crosswind on his post informs correct. In early years when open general license was operative from year 1977.

I got few Japanese vehicle exporters to buy vehicles in japan. Register them cancel the registration in few days.

New vehicles, mostly was commercial. Exported them back to SL. AS used vehicles.

Cars at that time have to have a permit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Well, if it's on the permit the agent might help you import it even if they dont import stocks for regular sales. Did you ask the agent before coming to the conclusion that they wont be able to do it?

And in the event of the agent being unable to import it, check the rules and regulations of the permit to make sure that the permit can be used for importing vehicles through parties that are NOT agents.

Well, if it's on the permit the agent might help you import it even if they dont import stocks for regular sales. Did you ask the agent before coming to the conclusion that they wont be able to do it?

And in the event of the agent being unable to import it, check the rules and regulations of the permit to make sure that the permit can be used for importing vehicles through parties that are NOT agents.

I saw many import toyotas from japan from 3rd party dealers and not the company.... so I guess this method is feasible !

My friend recently asked the Merc dealer if he could get petrol c class top model for permit and they told they cant !

But do German companies supply cars to 3rd parties rather than their own dealers right from Germany ?

I saw many import toyotas from japan from 3rd party dealers and not the company.... so I guess this method is feasible !

My friend recently asked the Merc dealer if he could get petrol c class top model for permit and they told they cant !

But do German companies supply cars to 3rd parties rather than their own dealers right from Germany ?

The method is possible with Toyotas etc from Japan as these brand new (or a few months old) units are bought from auction..not directly from a dealer. To purchase from a dealer you need to pretty much go through an entire registration/de-registration process; which the cars at auction have already gone through.

I know of a bloke who went to UK, bought a Merc, shipped it here himself and collected it. All through a permit. He claims that doing it this way saved him a packet of cash, which he would have lost as agents fees and other expenses.

Would this be Th__a We___a by any chance??

You can import any car for the permit as long as it is within the value of the permit.

Only issue is if the car is not brand new import from the agent the value of the car for duty (duty concession) is based on the agent’s valuation.

Unless the particular model is imported previously to SL you will newer know what the agent valuation would be specially if you are getting down an uncommon model here.

Generally agents do not give valuations beforehand so it is very tricky.

Once I remember calling C**M**T to get an approximate valuation for a Mazda MX-5 (Miata) and they wanted copies of documents of the vehicle, they said that they cant even give an approximate value.

Mercs are no better they have been known to over value models that they are not importing to SL. Few years back there was a case filed against them for over valuing a car.

Saw on HitAd, Toyota FT-86 for 5.8Mil. (For permit ofcourse) :)

Are you serious, Toyota FT 86 for 5.8Mil! That's quite a good price. In UK it's price is around £20000 and its petrol so can we get under permit?

Well, technically even a R8 CAN be imported to Sri Lanka ( but it's got nothing to do with the permit).. if some local car-sale bloke knows a UK car-sale which has a r8 for sale and the sri lankan guy merely advertises it and finds a buyer for the car before importing it. There's minimal risk. If there was no buyer, he looses about Rs.1000 on add space, thats it. If he DOES get a buyer he'll make a pretty chunk. That's just business :)

Well, technically even a R8 CAN be imported to Sri Lanka ( but it's got nothing to do with the permit).. if some local car-sale bloke knows a UK car-sale which has a r8 for sale and the sri lankan guy merely advertises it and finds a buyer for the car before importing it. There's minimal risk. If there was no buyer, he looses about Rs.1000 on add space, thats it. If he DOES get a buyer he'll make a pretty chunk. That's just business :)

So if I get hold of such bloke can I get any car I want from UK?