• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ruined Bmw E28

Schiffer

Oh so sad,

Was this the ex Embassy car,

this was in use daily around 2001-03 around Nawala / Nugegoda,

a young BMW enthusiast who was working for BP De Silva's use to own it.

Yes, this was indeed the ex embassy car... there is a picture of it further up the thread.

I was just thinking, the original engine and transmission would be nice to have but they weren't very exciting anyway, Since there are quite a few bigger BMW sixes kicking around, it might make sense to put in a bigger six with a manual box if ressurection is going to happen. Of course that would mean all sorts of headaches with ECUs and wiring etc I suppose.

Esdeez can you ask "Dr E34" what his opinion will be on the feasibility of such a project?

Will be meeting said Dr. today, but it has been done, the M50 swap at least. :D

Will be meeting said Dr. today, but it has been done, the M50 swap at least. :D

I'm getting very close to "budget be damned, lets go!", so it's probably a good thing that the budget is zero at present

Seeing this sort of thing doesn't help the case for prudence either

http://eurostyle-tuning.com/forum/showthread.php?1164-Thatguy-s-E28-528i-to-M5-build

good news for old BMW owners.

Edit:

good news for old Benz owners. Sorry for the mistake.

http://www.lakbima.lk/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7907:2013-03-11-04-39-34&catid=51:2012-07-18-17-28-31&Itemid=83

Edited by Nirosha

How is that good news for BMW owners again?

The article is about an initiative by the Mercedes Benz agents...

Not only Esdeez, but im tearing up just reading about all of this. Seeing how the car looked originally and the way it is now is just atrocious.

What went through the mechanics head to think that what BMW spent millions of euros on designing this car and developing it was not good enough is beyond me.

But I think the Bavarian die hard's the world over would be grateful to the person who restores this car back to its original state!

So just for kicks... is there any interest in making this a joint AL project? We'd have to set out specifics of course with regard to contribution/usage after completion etc but just to test the waters, IF we manage to get it off the ground, is anyone interested in being a partner/owner?

Do keep in mind that to do this properly will take quite a large quantity of time/effort/cash....

Guys, could it be the reason why the car has ended up in this shape was due to a massive accident, and the proper replacement parts were difficult to source and too expensive?

The reason why I wonder if this is the case is such a fabrication as this car has undergone is quite costly and time consuming in its own right and only an insane person will do it purely for aesthetic purposes.

Guys, could it be the reason why the car has ended up in this shape was due to a massive accident, and the proper replacement parts were difficult to source and too expensive?

The reason why I wonder if this is the case is such a fabrication as this car has undergone is quite costly and time consuming in its own right and only an insane person will do it purely for aesthetic purposes.

No doubt it has definitely got sandwiched between two vehicles. Most probably it had limited liability insurance so the owner had no option but to do the cheapest possible recovery job on it.

True that the replacement BMW parts will always be difficult/expensive to source but the owner wouldn't have been a BMW enthusiast to take that path.

That's a lot of Ifs in my post though.

Hopefully schiffer will be able to give us some first hand info tomorrow...

yea i will wait for it tomorrow. i already asked the security guard to buzz me if that car ever comes again. and some lecturers and students there as well.

however tomorrow around 2.30 ill wait for it and will try to talk to the owner if it arrive.

but this is the thing.

If you cant maintain a BMW ... Why on earth would you buy one?

No doubt it has definitely got sandwiched between two vehicles. Most probably it had limited liability insurance so the owner had no option but to do the cheapest possible recovery job on it.

True that the replacement BMW parts will always be difficult/expensive to source but the owner wouldn't have been a BMW enthusiast to take that path.

That's a lot of Ifs in my post though.

Hopefully schiffer will be able to give us some first hand info tomorrow...

Yeah, its important to know what state the car is in before talking about restorations. A bent or welded chassis for me makes the car a death trap. Now if the crumple zones took the impact and it was limited to that then that is ok. But as we stand we don't even know if an accident gave rise to this Frankenstein.

yea i will wait for it tomorrow. i already asked the security guard to buzz me if that car ever comes again. and some lecturers and students there as well.

however tomorrow around 2.30 ill wait for it and will try to talk to the owner if it arrive.

but this is the thing.

If you cant maintain a BMW ... Why on earth would you buy one?

Schiffer, your last comment is perhaps a little unfair. Quite frankly most people do not always correctly estimate the true cost of ownership when they purchase a vehicle. This happens with certain Japanese cars as well and certainly not limited to BMW.

And not everybody has the same approach to car ownership and maintenance and nor do they have the finances to support it. So they do what they can.

And for an old car like this, comprehensive insurance wouldn't have mattered at all. If there was an accident the payout wouldn't have covered the cost of repair in a normal Jap of this vintage and definitely not a BMW. Comprehensive insurance only pays up to return the car to the state it was in previously and not to new condition, so the insurance company hits you with a massive insurance percentage and you basically get a tuppence!

Sadly i have to agree with you.

think even personally i know few bloaks who are in the same situation with some jap cars.

but if the car rolled over or sandwiched the best thing to do is if you cannot repaire it. sell it to someone who can bring it back to life

a prime example is magnums uncles AE110 which was totaled and later restore by his painter.

but still i know there are some who just.. how to say 'rola gatagahaganda' would do such a thing. :(

think even personally i know few bloaks who are in the same situation with some jap cars.

but if the car rolled over or sandwiched the best thing to do is if you cannot repaire it. sell it to someone who can bring it back to life

a prime example is magnums uncles AE110 which was totaled and later restore by his painter.

but still i know there are some who just.. how to say 'rola gatagahaganda' would do such a thing. :(

Even my painter does the same. But we both know restoring a AE110 for which entire panels are available in abundance vs an old BMW. It is entirely possible it WAS a painter of sorts who was responsible for this monstrosity.

While as we can lay blame as car enthusiasts, there isn't a massive market for these cars and they carry no value to a standard car user in Sri Lanka. They just need it to run!

actually to add to that. there are some maka basses who take part in this Frankenstein work as well

im assuming that is what happened to it after a accident.

coz i have personally come across few mechanics who would do such a thing to get money and get the car off there garages as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

No future for this car. : :sad-smiley-050: ..i wonder whether she feels somekind of shame or not when she drives this..when anyone drives a bmw it makes some prestige look.but this???shame..

its not a matter of prestige bro. This car and its owner as some members have pointed up above should have had a really bad time.

Enthusiasm needs cash on hand. Unfortunately not everybody has.

• Like 3

That guy did an epic job!! I come across that car everyday! bdw its a CE110 :D

How is that good news for BMW owners again?

The article is about an initiative by the Mercedes Benz agents...

As per the article it says restored old cars can be repaired for special prices from the agents. Therefore i thought it could be a good news for the old BMW owners. Also there is a get together of that club.

Edit:

Apologize. This is for Benz.

Edited by Nirosha

As per the article it says restored old cars can be repaired for special prices from the agents. Therefore i thought it could be a good news for the old BMW owners. Also there is a get together of that club.

Yes but the Article is talking about Mercedes Benz cars. You are aware that Mercedes Benz and BMW are not the same brand or company right?

Yes but the Article is talking about Mercedes Benz cars. You are aware that Mercedes Benz and BMW are not the same brand or company right?

Oh GOD. It's my bad. I have mistaken the brand. Such a mistake.

Thanks Supra.

Wrong post at wrong place at wrong time. How can I delete the post?