• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Corrolla 141

Zambo

1. Get rid of that picture u got as the signature. Its eating up bandwidth

2. The two versions in Sri Lanka are XLi and GLi. Both are available as 1.6 Petrol or 2.0 Diesel. GLI is the higher spec

3. Singapore version of 141 is called altis. There is a LX in the singapore version

Edited by Crosswind

2. The two versions in Sri Lanka are XLi and GLi. Both are available as 1.6 Petrol or 2.0 Diesel. GLI is the higher spec

3. Singapore version of 141 is called altis. There is a LX in the singapore version

is it somewhat related to X grade and G grade that we know?

But Toyota Lanka brings only LX and GLi. XLi is for orders only.

is it somewhat related to X grade and G grade that we know?

Nope....the X and G grades are for the JDM Corolla AXIO; in typical Toyota fashion of complicating things, the Corolla (not the Axio) is an export version and in SEA it is marketed as Corolla Altis.

The Corolla is either the 140 series or the 150 series depending on the market and time frame you are looking at. Although the Axio and the Corolla keep sharing the name, some components and similarities inside, the Axio and Corolla kind of took different paths all the way back from the split with the 120 series (that is when you started seeing a Corolla for JDM+"some markets" and a Corolla/Altis for another set of markets); With the 140/150 series the Axio evolved on its own and the Corolla started sharing its platform more with the Auris.

In Asia I believe the power trains are either 1.6/1.8 Petrol or 2.0 Diesel. American and European markets have 2.4 liter gasolines versions and 1.4L Diesels in Europe and SAfrica <at least they used to>. Some of the bells and whistles and the tech specs that come with the two are some what different due to the differences in market.

As far as I know the Corolla(Altis) is built mostly outside of Japan. .

As for a GT...well I saw one at Nawaloka Hospital about 8 months ago...are there more ?...I have no idea...could it be imported ?...yes, if you order one....will a loving car salesman import one for their stock without someone special ordering it ?...considering what cars they like to bring down to milk off money..highly unlikely...but you never know.

Edited by iRage

what then is the diff between the GLi and the XLi? r these the Jap versions if the LX is Singap

...to make it simpler just imagine the Axio and the Corolla/Altis you are talking about as two different cars.The Axio never came with GLi or XLi... So don't try to draw commonalities between the grades.

GLi would be the top of the range and XLi somewhat lower and LX even lower ?? I really don't know the grading schemes for the SL market.

South East Asian markets had the Corolla Altis and those grades were something like E,V,G or something or words like Sportivo, Prestige (or something). So no you can't probably find a LX from SG (unless somewhere out there there is a Corolla Altis graded as a LX), also if it comes from SG it is going to be a used import not a brand new import as..well SG doesn't build cars :D...oh..and it going to say Corolla Altis on it.

If you are referring to Jap ver as in Corolla 141 manufactured in Japan..a LARGE proportion of all Corolla 141s are manufactured outside of Japan. Most production of the Corolla for the Asian market is done in places like Thailand, Vietnam, Phillipines and now even in India...and only a relatively small amount is made in Japan, I know in Hong Kong the Corolla used to be from Japan and that was graded as Deluxe, XRS and some others. Not sure where the Sri Lankan model comes from.

For the most part the different grades (GLi, XLi, LX etc) are more dependent on which grades (and what they decide to call the actual grades) Toyota decides to sell in each market and not necessarily where the car was assembled.Thus two cars could be built at the same plant but graded differently depending on the market each gets shipped off to; also depending on market demand, on rare occasions, they might decide to source units from different plants as long as the specs are the same. So the grade might give you an idea of where the car was originally marketed for but not necessarily where it was manufactured.

Edited by iRage

Toyota Corolla 141 imported brand new by the agents during 2007-2009 came from Japan.

I do not know about the face lifted ones, Some one was saying that cars given as official vehicles to government officilas (not the permit oncs) are assembled in India.

If you are not sure or concern about the country of origin you should be able to check this with the agent by giving the VIN no.

Toyota Corolla 141 imported brand new by the agents during 2007-2009 came from Japan.

I do not know about the face lifted ones, Some one was saying that cars given as official vehicles to government officilas (not the permit oncs) are assembled in India.

If you are not sure or concern about the country of origin you should be able to check this with the agent by giving the VIN no.

Wait...so if you have access to the VIN...wouldn't the VIN itself have some code for manufacturing plant ? Or the info plate itself might have it ?

Wait...so if you have access to the VIN...wouldn't the VIN itself have some code for manufacturing plant ? Or the info plate itself might have it ?

Yes if you know the code for specific plants you could identify by looking at the VIN

However in a diffrent forum there was a mention that this codes are market specific for example a BMW X3 manufactured in USA will have diffrent VIN starting with diffrent codes for USA/ Canada/ Euro markets.

The only way you could know for sure is check with the agent who will have access to this info and hope that they will give you the correct info.

Yes if you know the code for specific plants you could identify by looking at the VIN

However in a diffrent forum there was a mention that this codes are market specific for example a BMW X3 manufactured in USA will have diffrent VIN starting with diffrent codes for USA/ Canada/ Euro markets.

The only way you could know for sure is check with the agent who will have access to this info and hope that they will give you the correct info.

I thought it was the formatting that was different and market specific whilst the encoding was pretty much the same, ie a "J" in the code may represent Japan (I am not saying it does..just an example ne ?") but where in the VIN the "J" would appear would differ based on the region specific VIN format. Granted like you said then you need to know which part of the VIN identifies what.

As we all know agents in SL are so wonderful and caring that getting this info should be no problem at all :smilie_liebe9:

But just for curiosity...is there a significant difference in quality between a Corolla manufactured in Japan as opposed to one manufactured in Thailand,India or Pakistan (saying with a gasp) if they were all intended for the same market ? (Unlike the case of a Hilux where SA would build for the African/Middle eastern and certain European markets whilst Thailand would be mainly for Asian markets) Not that Toyota's quality control was so great for the last few decades, but still....

or is it that knowing it was manufactured in Japan gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling

But just for curiosity...is there a significant difference in quality between a Corolla manufactured in Japan as opposed to one manufactured in Thailand,India or Pakistan (saying with a gasp) if they were all intended for the same market ? (Unlike the case of a Hilux where SA would build for the African/Middle eastern and certain European markets whilst Thailand would be mainly for Asian markets) Not that Toyota's quality control was so great for the last few decades, but still....

or is it that knowing it was manufactured in Japan gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling

My personal experience with my former car Lancer EX (2008)

I had a problem with the fog lights and the agents suspected it is the switch and they wanted to replace it (under warranty) as the fog light switch was part of the main light stalk they got down one stalk from their spare parts division.

Fortunately I was there at the time (unlike Toyota they allowed customers in the work area and you could see what is happening) and I could observe a big difference in the finish/ quality of the original and what they were about to replace with.

Apparently the replacement part was made in Thailand, same what is fitted to Montero Sport/ L200

There is a noticeable difference in the quality and finish.

I have even noticed this in Suzuki made in Japan and India

The whole Suzuki Maruti thing has always been c#@p...in fact it seems like it was the whole starting point for people to take the whole out of Japan production thing with a grain of salt and a plastic knife peeling their skin attitude.

I always thought the differences for manufacturers like Toyota/Nissan/Mitsu was that they used lower spec components for the market/region that the plant produced the vehicle for, so even if the car was manufactured in Japan or Thailand it would be of the lower spec depending on where the car was being assembled for; thus the low level of refinement would be present irrespective of where it was assembled but still the quality would be present.

See what happens when pencil pushers start making cars :sport-smiley-027:

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

The country of originis is very important in deciding the final qulity of the vehicle,

Common examples are the

1.Suzuki swift - When comparing the jap made and indian made versions (both imoprted to SL brand new trough agents)

The Indian can't even come close to the jap

2.The VW bug which was made in Brazil had a habbit of losing atleast one part during a trip compared to other VWs made in Germany.

3.The new montero sport from Thailand has a lot of vibratory issues with it's plastics compared to the old montero sport made in Japan.

And so on

Edited by Clark's son

The whole Suzuki Maruti thing has always been c#@p...in fact it seems like it was the whole starting point for people to take the whole out of Japan production thing with a grain of salt and a plastic knife peeling their skin attitude.

I always thought the differences for manufacturers like Toyota/Nissan/Mitsu was that they used lower spec components for the market/region that the plant produced the vehicle for, so even if the car was manufactured in Japan or Thailand it would be of the lower spec depending on where the car was being assembled for; thus the low level of refinement would be present irrespective of where it was assembled but still the quality would be present.

See what happens when pencil pushers start making cars :sport-smiley-027:

I remember my father pointing out an article that claimed Indian vehicles cannot withstand our road conditions. Pathetic, isn't it?

I remember my father pointing out an article that claimed Indian vehicles cannot withstand our road conditions. Pathetic, isn't it?

Yes it is a sad state of affairs....they don't make them like they used to...not that they can't..they just don't care to or want to.

Edited by iRage