• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4Dr5 Clutch Replace

Nishan.dj

Question

Hi friends,

My 4DR5 J44 jeep had a oil leak in its clutch and as the mechanic said, the cylinder has worn out and need to replace the kit. As he said, replacing washers won't help and will come the leak soon after sometime. If you have any experience on this, kindly give me an advice what to do. The pump is original 4DR5 one and what options do I have? I asked for a replacement kit that may cost around Rs.8000 but I want to know which is the best thing whether it is to replace the full kit with washers and all or find a full unit. (total pump). If so suggest me a location that I can find them easily please. Thanks so much in advance.

Nishan

16 answers to this question

Hi friends,

My 4DR5 J44 jeep had a oil leak in its clutch and as the mechanic said, the cylinder has worn out and need to replace the kit. As he said, replacing washers won't help and will come the leak soon after sometime. If you have any experience on this, kindly give me an advice what to do. The pump is original 4DR5 one and what options do I have? I asked for a replacement kit that may cost around Rs.8000 but I want to know which is the best thing whether it is to replace the full kit with washers and all or find a full unit. (total pump). If so suggest me a location that I can find them easily please. Thanks so much in advance.

Nishan

which pump in question? master or the slave?

was looking out for a repair kit of the slave pump and lucky enough to buy the complete pump for around 5k couple of years back from Piliyandala. I'm sure the same pumps are being used in canters or similar mitsu heavy vehicles and prices of those are relatively lesser.

• Like 1

which pump in question? master or the slave?

It is the master pump that the pedal is connected to(Closer to the brake booster). There is a piston (or something like that) inside it and it has been worn out with the time it has been used. Temporarily I replaced washers but it will not be the best solution. Does 4DR5 can have another model of clutch as well? If so what models are they? Thanks so much.

Try Wasa*tha Motors at P'watta or Wi**ys Trading P'watta/Hyde Park Corner. In the alternative try the area known as Jeep-Watta which is at the corner of Panchikawatta Road and Maligawatta Road round-about for used Jeep parts.

Isn't it possible to re-sleeve the pump and install new washers?????

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 1

Isn't it possible to re-sleeve the pump and install new washers?????

Thanks so much for the info. I think the places you suggest may have brand-new pumps but the costs will be so high. If I have no option, that would be the last. About re-sleeve, I do not have any idea but heard it is possible too. I want to know more from someone who has already done it because re-sleeve has to be done properly from an experienced person according to my knowledge. Anyway kindly tell me more if you know about it. Thanks so much.

Thanks so much for the info. I think the places you suggest may have brand-new pumps but the costs will be so high. If I have no option, that would be the last. About re-sleeve, I do not have any idea but heard it is possible too. I want to know more from someone who has already done it because re-sleeve has to be done properly from an experienced person according to my knowledge. Anyway kindly tell me more if you know about it. Thanks so much.

Actually I am at the moment getting a re-sleeving of the master pump done at a lathe opposite the temple on the Katubedda campus road. As for previous re-sleeving jobs I have had many done including on brake wheel cylinders without any complaints.

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 2

Actually I am at the moment getting a re-sleeving of the master pump done at a lathe opposite the temple on the Katubedda campus road. As for previous re-sleeving jobs I have had many done including on brake wheel cylinders without any complaints.

Great. Does it costs a lot? How much was it to re-sleeve a wheel cylinder? Also please post how it is for the master pump as well. I do need to go there and get those things done for my jeep too. Thanks so much.

Great. Does it costs a lot? How much was it to re-sleeve a wheel cylinder? Also please post how it is for the master pump as well. I do need to go there and get those things done for my jeep too. Thanks so much.

The wheel cylinders were sleeved a few years ago and as I remember it cost around 1500 for the two. The clutch pump resleeve I was told would cost max 2000 now. So might be even less as I am getting some other jobs also done.

• Like 1

Members,

Wheel cylinder re sleeve were done in Ceylon for decades.This is a very simple job.

All lathe shops do, they are using a used shock absorber inner tube in to the wheel cylinder.

Bore the wheel or master cylinder little more for the S/Absorber inner tube out to fit in to go in to the re bored wheel or master cylinder not very tight.

Then they insert the S/Absorber inner tube with a lock tight compound. Applied in to the bore and to the S/Absorber inner tube out side.

This compound keep the Sleeve in place once it is cured. Within 15 minutes the sleeve is ready to bore oil holes.

Therefore there will not be any oil leaks. New brake oil inlet and delivery holes will be drilled to the original holes.

Today skilled labor is expensive. Therefore lathe shops charge very high.

In 1964 to 1980 I too did this as I have a lathe.Then Lathe operators wages for a day was Rupees 35/00.Today have to pay Rupees:150000.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Today skilled labor is expensive. Therefore lathe shops charge very high.

In 1964 to 1980 I too did this as I have a lathe.Then Lathe operators wages for a day was Rupees 35/00.Today have to pay Rupees:150000.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Helpful info Mr. Silvi. By the way is it true that lathe machine operators are getting paid Rs. 150,000 a day now?

Helpful info Mr. Silvi. By the way is it true that lathe machine operators are getting paid Rs. 150,000 a day now?

HardHat,

Thank you for pointing out my typing mistake I have not separated the last two digits.

That amount should read as Rupees 1500.00 instead of Rs.1500000.

Good luck to you.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Didn't you tried soe other Japanese brand like seiken. I've replaced both master pump and slave pump of my car about year back. Still no issue. It cost me around 25000 for both.

Hi Friends,

As I posted from the previous post, the clutch pump (master) of the 4DR5 Jeep was sleeved and I think its not done well. However I want to find a better place that I can buy a brand-new (may not japan but good in quality :) ) one. If anyone knows a place or an agent who sell only clutch related parts(better to visit them than wasting time on small shops) please reply to the post. Thanks in advance.

Hi Friends,

As I posted from the previous post, the clutch pump (master) of the 4DR5 Jeep was sleeved and I think its not done well. However I want to find a better place that I can buy a brand-new (may not japan but good in quality :) ) one. If anyone knows a place or an agent who sell only clutch related parts(better to visit them than wasting time on small shops) please reply to the post. Thanks in advance.

Nishan.dj,

What is wrong with your pump.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.