• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Common Rail Turbo Engine

Jeewana Madhuranga

Question

Hai Experts,

I have toyota hiace/grand hiace(UK Model) 2007 model van which have Common Rail Turbo Engine.

1. I don't know weather it have turbo timer(original/inbuilt). How to check that??

2. Does it need to have a turbo timer in these type of engine??

3. If it is so,should i fix a turbo timer??(I heard that turbo engines should not stop at once. It should run ideal for about 3 minutes before turn off)

4 answers to this question

The Turbos in these vehicles aren't really that big and spool up to massive speeds for long periods and so not really under as much stress as a high performance vehicles. As such manufacturers haven't fitted turbo timers to gradually let them cool down at idle speeds.

Having said that you can fit an after market turbo timer which might help extend the life of the turbo a little bit.

Hi Jeewana

me no expert but I would second what MD has said. To answer your questions:

1. I don't know weather it have turbo timer(original/inbuilt). How to check that?? If a turbo timer is fitted, engine will not stop as soon as the ignition switch is turned off. It will run at idle for a short while (depending on a pre-set duration) and then stop.

2. Does it need to have a turbo timer in these type of engine?? Not necessarily as MD has explained

3. If it is so,should i fix a turbo timer??(I heard that turbo engines should not stop at once. It should run ideal for about 3 minutes before turn off) You could fit an after market turbo timer but get it wired properly by a proper auto electritian. Otherwise, you could just remember to let the engine idle for a minute or so before you turn it off each time. One of my vehicles is a CRTD and that's what I do.

Whether the engine is a common rail diesel or a conventional diesel does not really make any difference to the performance of the turbo I guess.

Other things you can do to take care of your turbo:

Keep the engine oil and coolant levels in check and replace at recommended intervals.

Open the hood once in a while when the engine is hot, run the engine it at idle first and then race it and listen for any unusual noises from the turbo (like a grinding noise which you would hear if a bearing was worn out). If such noise develops get it checked before the problem escalates.

PS: Not repeating what Nzer and Fixit have said but they have beaten me to press "Enter" while I was typing the reply. All good advice :)

Edited by HardHat
  • Like 1