• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)

Komisiripala

• 1 month later...

yes. that car was previously for sale in borupana. macroxx and i convinced the owner to sell. it was just rusting there. but there was too much work to be done on it. looks like the stripes were added on later. there's some interior tinkering that was needed. the pillars had rusted through. dunno whether that was attended to, went for under 200,000 at the time

also, there;s another 2 door for sale. minter. not advertised. let me know if interested

yes. that car was previously for sale in borupana. macroxx and i convinced the owner to sell. it was just rusting there. but there was too much work to be done on it. looks like the stripes were added on later. there's some interior tinkering that was needed. the pillars had rusted through. dunno whether that was attended to, went for under 200,000 at the time

also, there;s another 2 door for sale. minter. not advertised. let me know if interested

Moar! What engine? Year? Colour? Mileage?

So someone has bought and done a restoration job? May be restored it for selling purpose. Also I saw a red one for sale 2 days back near Embuldeniya Juction (Madiwela Road), parked aside with "FOR SALE" board and tel no.

Once I spotted a 1969 Mazda 1500 near Tholangamuwa (Colombo Kandy Road) and one of my friend living nearby cheked it and sent some photos, the guy asked Rs. 70k. It was a old metal shop and when i visited there it was sold. Have been looking for a mazda (not a mazda fan but love that model). Following is what i missed :speechless-smiley-004:

2qa2sye.jpg

Once I spotted a 1969 Mazda 1500 near Tholangamuwa (Colombo Kandy Road) and one of my friend living nearby cheked it and sent some photos, the guy asked Rs. 70k. It was a old metal shop and when i visited there it was sold. Have been looking for a mazda (not a mazda fan but love that model). Following is what i missed :speechless-smiley-004:

It should not be hard to find one of these Mazdas I am quite sure.

5. DETAILING - EXTERIOR

front and rear bumpers, eyelids will be beaten back to shape, and re-plated. i like a little bit of chrome. gives that vintage look.

the bluebird badge, a super-rare find off Y! japan, will also be chromed and stuck on the bootlid, and not the side fender. because i could only find one, and i already have the delux decal on the quarterpanel. don't want to badge-bomb here. less is more.

the rear might get a datsun logo, since it doesn't say that anywhere. still iffy on that.

front grille will be plastidipped black (thanks to tiv) and will carry the OEM bluebird badge, and the white SSS on either corner.

the alloys will get their lips buffed before paint.

have to fix the rear light lenses and rear garnish. this centerpiece is another rare JDM option most of the gaijins slobber after. lucky to have it. it only came on the delux model.

will be chrome plating the rear C pillar garnish as well. that to oi haven't decided on

1. whether to stick the SSS badge on it

2. whether to go with black, and have a chrome line, as in the photo below. its difficult to hit that perfect mark of how much chrome/black. open to suggestions.

j37.JPG

as int he photo i'll be plastidipping it black with two chrome lines which run parallell with the lines on the light. have to tinker and re-plate the chrome on the lights, and remove that godawful tint. and maybe Davy can have a look at the lenses. i think the tint probably helped preserve them!

i sourced a set of E30 BMW ellipsoid projectors for the headlights. will be going with those, and 6000K dims, with 3200K heads. might mount a set of fogs with halogen bulbs also. for that foggy hill climb to horton plains with Bugatti and VVTi.

sourced the bluebird SSS replica turn signals from thailand.

oh and none of that 6- nonsense for this car. will get a proper 6 sri 4411 number plate done the good old fashioned way. the front i will offset. have the plate on one side and the oil cooler on the other. can't wait to see what that looks like!

Nice Project Dude :action-smiley-033: :appl:

Where can you find plastidip in srilanka? Or are you getting it from someone overseas?

Nice Project Dude :action-smiley-033: :appl:

Where can you find plastidip in srilanka? Or are you getting it from someone overseas?

no dude got it from member "tiv". he had brought down a few cans. you can't air freight them because aerosol sprays tend to explode. you can sea freight them tho. i got down 3 cans of spatter paint for the engine bay detailing that way

• 2 weeks later...

since the tinkering is taking decades, i thought i'd go ahead and attend to the finer details in the meantime. after some DAvy-consultation (after which i'm sure his colleagues at work think he runs a chop shop on the side) here's what i've been upto:

the bluebird badges. shipped both in from japan. wanted them looking mint. so as discussed i cleaned them and sprayed a few even coats of satin black matte. leaving this now to dry and settle for 48 hours. after which i'll go at it with 2000 grit water sandpaper and bring out the chrome lettering. ooh this oughtta look gooood

photo1_zps7ab4f2f2.jpg

then moved onto the front grille. didn't take any before shots of this, but davy will vouch for the 47 years of grime caked on it. the rear surface was a nightmare. tackled it with vim liquid and a brush. 90% off. exposed the metal again, and it look shinier than the front! but there's more gunk here and there, so tomorrow i go at it with a screwdriver & remove all of it. then will be spraying the rear surface black, well, only to keep it from rusting and to protect from elements.

photo2_zps459575f9.jpg

the front was n bad shape too. dings and dents were first corrected with a set of pliers, and patience! then i set about trying to remove the tar stains. tried kero, thinner, turpentine, brasso... nothing worked. finally used a coarser grit sandpaper and brasso and evenly rubbed it off. that worked, at least, although it scuffed up the surface a bit. at least now it doesn't look like Mr. T had a money shot over it. then went full samurai on it and patted down globs of brasso, and let it set into a thick crust. lots of elbow grease later, it surfaced like this:

photo31_zps5c1463c0.jpg

sadly no before shot to show the dirt on that side either. sorry folks was too preoccupied and ejoying this i forgot to document. tomorrow i spare two lines and plastidip the rest. this should look epic.

also, going to start on the headlight surrounds. havne't decided what to do with them yet...

• Like 5

Looking absolutely great machan! These little things are what makes a car special, years after ownership and you will never forget the battle you went through with the front grille each time you look at it.

The badges have come out really well! Feel bad to see the black on the letters go away now. :D

By the way, surprised that kerosene and thinner didn't work on the tar-like spots. Must have been sitting on the grille for quite some time then.

Ow bung daagena madda hama yanakan. No luck. I'm guessing the stains were older than I am!

But all good. It's looking mint now. Taking a break from this til Monday. Wife is home for the weekend.

Edited by Komisiripala

been at it today as well. let the emblems dry to a crisp, and then started wet sanding them with 2000 grit baby-bottom sandpaper...

photo1_zps72e9f7a9.jpg

and they turned out like this. the top one looks a million bucks. the bottom one looks more affordable. maybe it could do with a chromium plating. ther'es a bit of surface pitting. but hey, i'm happy with the result for now.

photo2_zps7c72a381.jpg

also gave a basecoat to the rear ends of the headlight surrounds and grille. left it to dry too. tomorrow, i start plastidipping.

my goal, is this. down to the last detail:

march2012-033_zps3ea4cb1e.jpg

Woah, the top one looks awesome! Was the other emblem a cheap replica or something? Can't really understand how one would come out good and the other wouldn't.

some parts which came from Japan look like they were manufactured yesterday. Others show a reasonable degree of wear and tear. I really can't explain how the former happens. The latter of course is understood. These things are 45 years old! Remember the steering? Looks like it was made yesterday!

Edited by Komisiripala