• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)

Komisiripala

No, but do tell. We were at a crossroads with what can go into this car. An impasse rather because we have no idea! The usual sti chassis is too long

Have a chat with Jehan at Senok (Subaru Division). He built a Leone with a complete Sti drivetrain... he's a nice chap and will probably be willing to have a chat.

Yup. We know Xavier pretty well. Beautiful leone that. He cut away the entire bottom end and dropped the body on an sti3 frame. Sadly we don't have totalled cars lying around like he does

ah... in that case perhaps talk to nilanka the subaru guy and ask if he has any ideas? VVTi knows him.

Members,

I think this car was mostly based on UK cars. They had BOSCH Electrical systems,To my memory. I cannot remember I post this early.

There were plenty of them in use in Japan after the development of automobile industry. I imported more than 100 cars.

During my Vehicles importing days. Cost of them duty paid was under Rupees 60000/=. In 1970 late till I gave up on 1987.

All used reconditioned car new paint, battery, 5 tires selling price in bulk rupees 70000/=. That time Japan had enough reconditioning W shops.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

and work progresses. entire areas of rust are being cut out and replaced with sheet metal. the floorboard is being done seperately and hand painted in black anticorrosive. the exterior get s a seperate coat. there's a new tinker called prageeth who seemed engrossed in the whole process. keen hands, and that's a good sight! he's quite enthu about the whole thing.

uzzv.jpg

the dented panel is finally finished, and gets coated over. he's moved on to the right front door and quarterpanel. the underbody rust is also being dealt with, as can be seen:

tjq2.jpg

b9x.JPG

make no mistake, this too will take ages, but i'm so happy to see steady progress...

0fde.jpg

and work progresses. entire areas of rust are being cut out and replaced with sheet metal. the floorboard is being done seperately and hand painted in black anticorrosive. the exterior get s a seperate coat. there's a new tinker called prageeth who seemed engrossed in the whole process. keen hands, and that's a good sight! he's quite enthu about the whole thing.

Out of curiosity, When you say hand painted what's the process involved? What are the other options involved when it comes to applying anti corrosive?

Edited by xXx

Out of curiosity, When you say hand painted what's the process involved? What are the other options involved when it comes to applying anti corrosive?

Sorry men I stumbled upon myself there. Where's MD when these things happen?

What I meant to say was the interior and floorboards and being done separately and exterior separately. Anti corrosive isn't sprayed on AFAIK

• 3 weeks later...

took charith along to see the old gal and he snapped this. looks quite dreary/.bleak/post-apocalyptic mel-gibson'ish!

6dwc.jpg

work proceeds at a snails' pace. we are about to remove the windscreens and tinker around in those areas. next it'll be on to the right side body, and then finally engine bay.

for now i don't really see an end in sight...

Komi's patience should be praised!

I myself won't be able to wait like this. I remember fighting with my painter and bringing the half done car home once (or twice) and the guy coming back and taking it back to the garage to finish the job. :blush:

From the photos I guess the end result would worth the wait!

did you see this http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=139376 seriously thats a bit too much even though a lovely car

(no offence komi since your a datto lover)

Its the new wave of overnight classic-car 'enthusiasts' dude!

Get an old car... do it up and quote an exhorbitant price.... then when they finally sell it... they even spread the word that it got sold close to the exorbitant price they quoted. It's happening a lot out there.

No offense to Komi anyway because the guy is not one of them anyway.

• Like 1