• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)

Komisiripala

• 2 weeks later...

so the datto was giving me a little worry as of late. with a gut wrenching "dokos" sound every time i ease off the gear. went and raised her skirt to take a look...

photo3wqk.jpg

and here's the culprit. the infamous "kuruse" or the universal joint was kaput. on both sides. had them replaced and its running smooth now.

photo2gjn.jpg

also, she's giving me some constant electrical niggles. when the ac runs the radio turns off, when both are on the dash turns off etc etc. my fuses and fuse box are shot. reaplced fuses, but still haivng issues. so got hold of a fuse box from ratsun forums. took a leap of faith sending a complete stranger paypal money, but he had sent it, so it paid off. still with my pal in the US, but he'll be shipping it soon.

photo5mo.jpg

also got a new clutch cylinder. found it for cheap so thought what the hey... since i'll be doing a detailed cleanup of the engine bay and respraying it, i would like to have all the bottles and bits as squeaky clean as possible.

photo4et.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

got some new goodies from japan:

first up, the ellipsoid projector heads! oh my these look mean! and they're mint, for a used item. seller was mistaken. the box is DEPO, but they're bosch. lovely!

photo11dt.jpg

and of course, my one bluebird fender emblem. looking for another, or might just do something different with this one.

photo21uk.jpg

lots of stuff to plan out for the datto build. as adivsed by the don and others on the ford MK1 project, i'll be doing the bodywork first. then onwards to the mechanicals.

apparently the guy near my house, Preme, has swapped 16 datsun's to diesels back in the day. 16. sold all the motors for scrap. aparaade. but he knows where to find the rare parts. like a twin carb inlet manifold... heh heh. im' starting to like this guy more and more

@komi..read the feature on the datto by octane head,great pics and writing as usaul

btw u are swaping the engine to a L16T...i thaught that u were going for a SR20DET :(

No machan keepinwith the theme of the car. Not raping it. The two dons on the forum tied me to a chair and slapped some sense into me. But I agree with them. ITs a huge cost and also a waste of a classic. Keeping things spec and going for a 1600cc twin carb with l16SSS camshaft and upgraded valve train. Plus boosted brakes with front (and/or rear) discs. These parts are very hard to come by and searching for them is half the fun. But they are nowhere near as expensive as the Teg

• Like 1

No machan keepinwith the theme of the car. Not raping it. The two dons on the forum tied me to a chair and slapped some sense into me. But I agree with them. ITs a huge cost and also a waste of a classic. Keeping things spec and going for a 1600cc twin carb with l16SSS camshaft and upgraded valve train. Plus boosted brakes with front (and/or rear) discs. These parts are very hard to come by and searching for them is half the fun. But they are nowhere near as expensive as the Teg

So you arent gonna fix that Vanette engine?

ohh cool, L16 will also be great ,if i am correct even 240z shared the same engine

ohh cool, L16 will also be great ,if i am correct even 240z shared the same engine

that was the LxxA mate. this is an L16B. A for 6 cylinders B for 4.

@komi Like your plan. nothing like a dirty carb fed ohc with bucket loads of torque. I suggest boring it out and stroking it someday in the future.