• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)

Komisiripala

Interesting, so where's the thread on Mirage resto?

It's being completely handled by my friend Komi as I'm not even in the country. Its not much of a resto though man, compared to the work some of the guys are doing. Just had some roof rust, so while at it sorting out other body imperfections. The car was a daily runner before being garaged, and nearly everything still works.

On a another point, I came accross a CS spoiler which I picked up quite cheaply, since there is not much market for those parts over here (not many CSs). It said original, but I'll wait till I get it before to confirm. The same seller had 3 others, so might be useful to somebody. Not trying to do business, just posting in public interest.

It's being completely handled by my friend Komi as I'm not even in the country. Its not much of a resto though man, compared to the work some of the guys are doing. Just had some roof rust, so while at it sorting out other body imperfections. The car was a daily runner before being garaged, and nearly everything still works.

On a another point, I came accross a CS spoiler which I picked up quite cheaply, since there is not much market for those parts over here (not many CSs). It said original, but I'll wait till I get it before to confirm. The same seller had 3 others, so might be useful to somebody. Not trying to do business, just posting in public interest.

Fair enough.. but need photos when its completed. on the topic of spoilers, searched them for 4 years and when only i bought a one they are popping everywhere. Anyway if it is cheap i suggest you buy it. I might sell the car this year and the next one would also be a CS. Preferably SGDM CS2 or Brand new import CS3.

Fair enough.. but need photos when its completed. on the topic of spoilers, searched them for 4 years and when only i bought a one they are popping everywhere. Anyway if it is cheap i suggest you buy it. I might sell the car this year and the next one would also be a CS. Preferably SGDM CS2 or Brand new import CS3.

Yeah at £23 I can afford to throw it away if its useless. Nobody was bidding hence the price. I'll have a look at it when the package arrives, and if its good quality keep it, else bin it, because the effort of being it back is too much if its bad quality.

Don why don't you sell your Mirage instead of putting up with the hassle of dealing with local mechs? Especially since you only get to drive it couple of wees a year. But then again you car nuts are prone not to take the sensible route, all the in name of love... LOL.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Don why don't you sell your Mirage instead of putting up with the hassle of dealing with local mechs? Especially since you only get to drive it couple of wees a year. But then again you car nuts are prone not to take the sensible route, all the in name of love... LOL.

That much is true. I need to buy my family another car anyway, because even the Mirage is now too big for my dad to drive and my sister after passing her test has always driven manuals. To be honest I'm not sure what to do with it, but the thought of it withering away, unloved and covered in rust just somehow does not sit well with me. I mean its the car I always refer to as my car, though I own a few more, and drive something a lot more modern while in the UK. It is as you say a labour of love, and will take a bit more TLC until its complete.

The only annoying thing is none of the body work guys seem to work to any schedule. They all take the piss. MasterDon is lucky he's got some guys who work for him full time, but the rest of us have to put up with that nonsense. Like the roof on my car was fabricated a month ago, but its still not welded down! All of this was a weeks work at worst and another week of body work pret would have got it ready for painting. Its been 2 months :) Komis car has been there for a LOT longer and he went through the same with his Integra. But at least this chap knows how to fabricate a roof, and knows its the best course of action. Some guys I went to wanted to patch it up, and others admitted they were not skilled enough or motivated enough to do the job.

That's running an sr20 or a ca18. Theres A huge Fmic. Lights are cool, yes, but not my thing. Not a fan of halos! That being said that cr looks plenty mean. Look at the width of that rubber! Also, this has made me consider spraying he headlight bezels black. Looks cool, that.

at long last the tinkering looks like its nearing an end. all the major body work is now done. a few gaps and holes here and there that need to be touched up. the rear light frames have been mounted. and my god, the look of that aSSS! stopped my heart today. even without the lenses. this looks a million dollars. funny how a simple change of trim can make it a whole other vehicle!

photo3_zps9459817d.jpg

photo2_zps434922ab.jpg

photo1_zps6ae50096.jpg

now he's working ont he headlights. the BMW ellipsoids are going to be tough to fit in. we're not following convention, where they're removed and the datsun cups are used. that won't allow me to focus and level the beams with the BMW adjustors, so Mr. baas here is going to use the BMW light frame to mount onto the body, making some changes to bring the lights to the same level, so that i will have full adjustability at the turn of a screw! i like this man's gusto. he may not show up to work regularly, but when he does, angels sing in heaven!

63121379185_zpsf627d40c.jpg

these are similar to what i have. we're gonna be separating the two lights very gingerly down the middle, and then fabricating the plastic frame itself to fit the datto, with a little magic. the failsafe of using the existing datto light frame is always there, and that will just mean my lights won't be adjustable. so they'll have to be powered, adjusted and set in one go, if so.

oh well, i for one am happy all this is nearing an end

the lip around the bootlid has also been jacked, and adjusted so hat the lines are perfect. earlier there was a little overhang of the lower boot beyond the bootlid. the entire rear had seemd to have warped, leading to a dog-earing of the center near the boot lock. that was corrected, and now the boot opens and closes damn-near perfect, with a very satisfying click

the headlights too have been set. isntead of following convention and using the datsun light mounts, we used the bmw mounts that the lights came with. this is so that they can be levelled and adjusted. using the datto mounts would have meant that the focus would have been fixed. and that would invariably mean they'd have been askew. an elusive creature he may be, but mr tinkerman definitely pulls out rabbits like this from his hat too!

photo_zps4c1a8d83.jpg

Man that is clean!

As for the tail light sequencer, check this out (should work for you):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-1996-2004-Sequential-Tail-lights-96-97-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-FREE-BONUS-/231297422508?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35da6694ac

A DIY circuit is ideal though. Because then you can get everything to work exactly as you want.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

some more shots of the headlights. love, love love...

photo1_zps53fd7978.jpg

photo3_zps8bda5073.jpg

photo4_zpsa81df8a8.jpg

and here's how it was done. BMW bracket spliced and a metal L shaped bracket fabricated to align the lights. now they're sitting pretty and fully adjustable!

photo2_zps5507426f.jpg

Edited by Komisiripala

• 1 month later...

sorry bro. keeping it under wraps for now. so much has happened. this has become bigger than me now. there's more than one car involved. and its snowballed to rather gargantuan proportions. i promise to bring everyone up to date when things are more near completion.

rest assured work is proceeding. ;)

sorry bro. keeping it under wraps for now. so much has happened. this has become bigger than me now. there's more than one car involved. and its snowballed to rather gargantuan proportions. i promise to bring everyone up to date when things are more near completion.

Hey Komi, was wondering myself. Glad to know that work is indeed in progress. Hope it's the same case with the Don as well. More power to you both. :)

Edited by Sierra Charlie

Interior cleaning my car regularly is also part of the Datto mod workload.

You can say it has snowballed... LOL!

One thing for sure, by the time it is done, Komi and I will be having health problems.... BP, diabetes and heart issues... :)

Basically Komis Datsun is waiting to be painted now, but as always there is a queue and work is VERY slow. I think the frustration is what has driven Komi off talking about the project publicly.

Komis is also preparing himself to be raped by customs as multiple part shipments are due soon, with the bits needed to finish the cars. This is one of the reason for the lack of updates as we are now waiting for some critical components. Any donations of vasline will be greatly appreciated.

We have destroyed VVTI's Fozzi transporting an old engine for an rebuild. So I will be doning my loin cloth and scrubbing its back side the next time I'm down in Sri Lanka :)