• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)

Komisiripala

Solid plan there! Looks like you've set your mind on most of the details from the get-go.

Good call on white. I don't think any other colour can do justice to a Japanese classic. (Although Givantha's yellow hit a spot!) I was seriously considering a pearl white and black alloys with a polished lip for the Capri myself.

I think the valve cover will look better chromed but depends on what else you drop in the engine bay.

Again, congratulations on the Teg and all the very best on this one. Will be following closely!

Komi, serious respect man, petrol head, a classic car owner and now a published author... of a BANNED Book :sad-smiley-058:

Damn...

good thing the college didnt issue a fatwa like what happened to salman rushdie!

@komi,im yet to get it man,always keep forgeting to order,btw who is that fellow ur refering to ? heada? or the warden?

good thing the college didnt issue a fatwa like what happened to salman rushdie!

@komi,im yet to get it man,always keep forgeting to order,btw who is that fellow ur refering to ? heada? or the warden?

were you around when Mr. sarath wickremaratne, more fondly known as Jacko was the headmaster of middle school? well its him i roasted.

if you were exposed to him in any way, you'd love this book. do get it. stocks are running out and i don't plan on reprinting anytime soon. will ahve som ecopies available at the launch of my second book

baa bung mun ekka!

so anyways, its funny how fortunes favour the build! honeslty, at first i had given up the hope of making this a SSS conversion because parts are so damned hard to find. and the JDM SSS is internationally a very very rare rendition of the car. but i just realised i've found most of the parts, which gave me added heart to somehow acquire the rest as well! basically, i need:

1. L 16 engine

found, bought, and idling at indika's garage.

2. L 16 SSS camshaft

was hunting for 6 months. finally found on ratsun.net and ordered yesterday. stock cam with the highest lift made by datsun. pushes the HP from 91 to 110. not bad for a 45 year old aunty. and it doens't need new springs etc. there are a lot of aftermarket cams which can be easily bought online, but they are all much higher lift than stock, leading to a severe idle lope, and difficulty starting the car. my wife needs to use this, after all. can't have her bellyaching about it! besides, its always a novelty

3. twin side draught carbs

thinking of getting a new pair because its very difficult to tune two used carbs to run in perfect unison.

4. front disc brakes

overkill in this dept. huge front discs from a sivlia. rear discs will be sourced soon, and a hydraulic handbrake, running on a servo

5. RPM meter on a gauge cluster with red needles or SSS gauge cluster

the former will be it. when removed for paint, i will gingerly take the cluster apart and paint the needles red. can't afford the JDM cluster, another rarity, retailing at 900$ +

6. SSS sequential tail lights.

these i will find somehow. put a few lures out lets see who bites...

Edited by Komisiripala

baa bung mun ekka!

so anyways, its funny how fortunes favour the build! honeslty, at first i had given up the hope of making this a SSS conversion because parts are so damned hard to find. and the JDM SSS is internationally a very very rare rendition of the car. but i just realised i've found most of the parts, which gave me added heart to somehow acquire the rest as well! basically, i need:

1. L 16 engine

found, bought, and idling at indika's garage.

2. L 16 SSS camshaft

was hunting for 6 months. finally found on ratsun.net and ordered yesterday. stock cam with the highest lift made by datsun. pushes the HP from 91 to 110. not bad for a 45 year old aunty. and it doens't need new springs etc. there are a lot of aftermarket cams which can be easily bought online, but they are all much higher lift than stock, leading to a severe idle lope, and difficulty starting the car. my wife needs to use this, after all. can't have her bellyaching about it! besides, its always a novelty

3. twin side draught carbs

thinking of getting a new pair because its very difficult to tune two used carbs to run in perfect unison.

4. front disc brakes

overkill in this dept. huge front discs from a sivlia. rear discs will be sourced soon, and a hydraulic handbrake, running on a servo

5. RPM meter on a gauge cluster with red needles or SSS gauge cluster

the former will be it. when removed for paint, i will gingerly take the cluster apart and paint the needles red. can't afford the JDM cluster, another rarity, retailing at 900$ +

That's the spirit mate! It's not everyday that someone picks up a project like this. Maybe one or two in a lifetime. So make it special, even if it takes a while longer...you were aiming for the SSS spec 510 from the start so I'm really happy for you that you're going for it!

tumblr_m5b4uhqaUs1r3yp6xo1_400.png

let me put it this way. 510's have been coming out all of a sudden out of no where, as for i know 2 builds are nearing its complition

but a complete SSS build would beat them all. Enough said :D

Great plan Komi. I'm sure she'll end up looking one of the best 510s in SL. Looking forward to updates. Let me know if you need any help. :P

By the way, those tail lights are simply jaw-dropping! Love 'em!! I believe we were discussing about the same kinda tail lights on another thread (Post Whoring as I remember) a few days ago.

more on the carb:

after some extensive research, i decided on sourcing a set of Hitachi SU 38mm carbs for the build. overall consensus by many users around the world is that the SU is the most realiable, cost effective carb of all. and since this will be a daily driver, i thought that would be best. other options were the webers, and mikunis. both of which give more high end grunt, and are alrger, at 42mm +, thus being more thirsty.

following a few leads on SU's available locally and abroad. if any of you know where i can find a pair with the inlet manifold, please do let me know :)

carbs are tricky business. unfortunately the webers, no matter which way you tune them, are less economical than the SU's. SU's are OEM for datsun, and since i'm keeping with the theme, i'd like to stick to it.

same story with the mani. i spoke to sacha about fabricating one, but its not his cup of tea, obviously. he said he can try. he's definitely doing the exhaust, however.

here's a video of what twin SU's sound like. my god that's swee-eeeeet!

:jumping-smiley-013: So, Datto project is on the move then Komi?

Way to go man!

on the move a little faster than i expected! indika has started work on it, and he's removing the paint to start the tinkering.

plus i met my old mechanic premaratne. he has a set of zenith carbs he said. twin side draught. haven't heard of them. should chekc them out. said he will take them out for me sometime. i think i will have to fabricate a manifold...

and the lights, well, the lights are a bit of a surprise. i will keep that under wraps for now, and update if it does indeed happen. trying something interesting.