• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)

Komisiripala

Actually the difference is not based on the number of doors but the construct of the body. A sedan has A,B and C pillars whilst a Coupe' usually has only an A and C pillar and has a three box design (engine/passenger/cargo). A hatchback/liftback has A,B and C pillars with a cabin accessible slanted rear door and has a 2 box design (engine+combined passenger and cargo); which is different from a station-wagon as the latter has a two box design with a D-pillar :)

...obviously with design changes over the years and boundaries have become quite thin and non-existant (the definitions themselves are quite old)

For a general description check wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(automobile)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup%C3%A9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatchback

Check the previous pages of this thread; I have included a link to differences between a 2-door coupe and a 2-door sedan of the 510, and also someone else had given an account of the complete range.

Lol, i'm fairly certain Peri knows the difference between a coupe and sedan, he meant in a 510 specific context.

Lol, i'm fairly certain Peri knows the difference between a coupe and sedan, he meant in a 510 specific context.

Aha ! No offense intended Peri...to be honest I had no idea who posted it in the first place :) previous page there should be some links to the 2-door sedan/coupe for the 510 :)

Nice!. For a moment I thought you have found that illusive tacho. Did a search on ebay for it, seems like you can find most of the things except the tacho.

I searched for sold listings and found that just the tachometer sold for about $200! There was a NOS tachometer with the red needle that sold for a whopping $320!

Don't worry, Komi, I'll get you your tach from Japan!

I wish all owners were as honest as the previous owner of Komi's 510. The center console, the Bluebird emblem... looks like a great dude to have bought a car from. Some people just try to wash their hands after selling their car nowadays. Hats off to the previous owner!

Edited by Davy
  • Like 2

Komi; For the alloys keep it to period alloys, Japs had their version of minilite kinda alloys and its very popular with the old GTR's. I saw them on the left hand drive Corolla wagon at the Unique Toyota owners meet.

Dont go for the SSS conversion machang keep it stock, even the 1600 dash should be alright because the SSS came with the 1800 engine, so not sure if everything is similar.

My fathers old Readers Digest mags had thousands of ads for the 510, will post them when I have the time to go through them.

Previous owner is a classic nut too. Respect to him for having maintained this as such. It's amazing. I'm at a loss for words! He's selling all his cars to acquire an even rarer gem. And told me not to blab til it's in his stable.

Already sourced the 1600 L16 motor for an even more authentic feel

But I've also been offered a 240z motor and a 3 liter v6 single turbo from a 300zx!

Decisions desicions

Gummy I too have all the RD's from '67. Haven't browsed through in ages

Previous owner is a classic nut too. Respect to him for having maintained this as such. It's amazing. I'm at a loss for words! He's selling all his cars to acquire an even rarer gem. And told me not to blab til it's in his stable.

But I've also been offered a 240z motor and a 3 liter v6 single turbo from a 300zx!

Decisions desicions

Wow so you found L16? Sri Lanka or abroad?

The Japanese 'Minilite' style is called RS Watanabes. Very popular on AE86s because of Initial D.

phpTzF69wPM.jpg

tumblr_ln8jw1RUMG1qzv2afo1_500.jpg

Negative offset Watanabes-

tumblr_lo6p4dkcar1qgq5y0o1_500.jpg

Tons of fakes out there though.

These are WORK Equip01s. I see a red Toyota IST that has these, but don't know if it's the real deal.

toyota-carina-gtr-aa63-red-pic1.jpg

What a 510 would look like-

748_full.jpg

Edited by Jaliya48

Decisions desicions

F me drunk.....

There's an L16 engine, distributor, starter motor AND bluebird SSS front grille brought down specifically for this car. So it's just lying there, in someone's house. Pissing someone's wife off.

I plan to make said wife a very happy lady. Don't think I'll be sticking in the 300zx motor. If at all the tough decider is between the l16 and the 240z twin carb 2.4 liter.

The l13 as it is, is a little thirsty. I assume its underpowered. Common sense tells me (yes, I have one of those. It's about the same size as a Prius owners penis) to stick with the l16.

Am working on the bluebird badge. Will post end results soon

• Like 1

There's an L16 engine, distributor, starter motor AND bluebird SSS front grille brought down specifically for this car. So it's just lying there, in someone's house. Pissing someone's wife off.

I plan to make said wife a very happy lady. Don't think I'll be sticking in the 300zx motor. If at all the tough decider is between the l16 and the 240z twin carb 2.4 liter.

The l13 as it is, is a little thirsty. I assume its underpowered. Common sense tells me (yes, I have one of those. It's about the same size as a Prius owners penis) to stick with the l16.

Am working on the bluebird badge. Will post end results soon

Komi, if the car never came with the twin carb 2.4L engine maybe it's not the appropriate engine for the car? The L16 would be quite cool!

Watanabes are pretty nice...a bit expensive though (on average about 35,000yen...some patterns out of production are even more expensive)...every now and then you can get second hand ones but they too are not that much cheaper.

http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/seihin/8spoke.htm

There are quite a few other brands that look pretty close to them

iRage,

Is Y35,000 for brand new or used sets?

don, i can't seem to message you. i assume inbox is full. machan can you or any of the other guys recommend a good mecahnic, who can take the L16 and bring it up to scratch?

What do you need on it done (I suppose Indika can't take the job?). My mechanic Sisira is quite good for mechanical work on old engines as he is meticulous and careful and very trust worthy. Only thing is you will have to buy him the parts to ensure only good quality stuff goes in it (as left to him, he would sometimes get the cheap stuff thinking he's doing you a favour. The man is a nice chap). The garage is in Attidiya road between Gansaba junction and Sunetra Devi junction just after the bridge on the right hand side if you are travelling from Gansaba junction side. Tell him that the chap with the black Mirage sent you (you don't need to tell him this to get a good job done, but there will be a big smile).

iRage,

Is Y35,000 for brand new or used sets?

Brand new....I saw a used unit sometime back for about 27,000 (but they were the black 8 spoke ones that are popular for AE86s). the watanabe site has price lists as well as size specs for different models...

don, i can't seem to message you. i assume inbox is full. machan can you or any of the other guys recommend a good mecahnic, who can take the L16 and bring it up to scratch?

I can always recommend my mechanic; he's been maintaining both our Corollas for the past 12 years. If you like, drop in and meet him. He's located in Second Lane, Dehiwala.