• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)

Komisiripala

found that. sold a week ago. :( nothing else. searched all forums. contacted members on ratsun and 510realm. no luck. picked up the idea there for the center console gauge pod. some bugger wants 200$ for the fabricated console without the gauges. wow. ajitha will take like 500 for that.

Again sold. Ages ago. I have trolled a new seabed on eBay.

Thanks jaliya. Jap auctions are the last hope. Look for the JDM bluebird SSS

Sure. I've sent you one but it's a different style to what you currently have. Either way, if it's compatible, grab it! :sport-smiley-004:

Here's what a 510 "coupe" should look like-

08222012_cooper_garage_swap_8_.JPG

Note the angle of the C pillar. What Komi has is a two-door sedan. All this was learnt by reading the articles on the previous page!

Edited by Jaliya48

the raked C pillar is from the bluebird SSS coupe. yes, i have the 2 door sedan. now can't change the title of the thread. my bad.

jaliya, pls do be on the lookout for that tach. i don't need the whole dash. a tach will do. i can't read a ball of japanese, so you'll have to keep track of this one for me mate! and do PM me your phone number. will be in touch. sorting out some other small small things for the car this month and next. before she goes to indika to be born again.

Hi

I saw this advertistment on somewhere , that time i called the owner he did not pick the phone,since that is 2 door i gave up the idea,i have seen only one datsun 510 4 door sedan with yellow color at kahathuduwa ,then after this is the 1st time i am seen a 510 here ,good one rocks

thanks

regards

sumiya

Edited by Sumiya

the raked C pillar is from the bluebird SSS coupe. yes, i have the 2 door sedan. now can't change the title of the thread. my bad.

jaliya, pls do be on the lookout for that tach. i don't need the whole dash. a tach will do. i can't read a ball of japanese, so you'll have to keep track of this one for me mate! and do PM me your phone number. will be in touch. sorting out some other small small things for the car this month and next. before she goes to indika to be born again.

I'm on it. I have since discovered that the link I sent you earlier was for the SSS but I think it's compatible. In that case, would you still consider one?

found that. sold a week ago. :( nothing else. searched all forums. contacted members on ratsun and 510realm. no luck. picked up the idea there for the center console gauge pod. some bugger wants 200$ for the fabricated console without the gauges. wow. ajitha will take like 500 for that.

Patience good Komi :) The parts will materialise soon! You can still use the car without a tacho, for that matter even a spedometer :P The only thing you actually need are the temperature and fuel gauges.

What do you want the title to change to?

What do you want the title to change to?

one thing i was short of, Don, was patience. the teg, however, has given me a PhD in that.

the title should say "1968 Datsun Bluebird 510 2 door sedan", but in keeping with my line of work, i would like it to say "Project Datto" hope that's not too much to ask ;)

the hunt of course, must be relentless. you never know when that elusive part will rear its head from the bushes. i gotta be ready when it does!

I'm on it. I have since discovered that the link I sent you earlier was for the SSS but I think it's compatible. In that case, would you still consider one?

would love to have a SSS gauge cluster. or even a tach. here's what the whole ting looks like. this is from a japanese site.

48040230290738647485512.jpg

or even the tach will do.

Don is right. there's no hurry. the car runs perfectly fine as is.

Nothing like that...yet, Komi! I did find OEM rear lamp assemblies, NOS rear lamp lenses, an authentic SSS wood steering wheel and gear knob and other parts though.

This is what I found earlier (well, in "used" condition anyway)-

IMG_1180.JPG

owner says it's from a '68 SSS.

I think what you're looking for is this-

Picture397.jpg

yup. i'm looking for the latter. the former is what givantha has. once the car is stripped someday i'll check if givnatha's fits. until then i'd be looking for a tach.

i'm going with a newer gear knob. nothing fancy, and thought of keeping the nardi torino wheel. it needs a buff and varnish but will look super once done.

found side markers and tail light lenses on ebay. do see if you can find a "datsun" grille emblem. or a bluebird one for cheap mate

one thing i was short of, Don, was patience. the teg, however, has given me a PhD in that.

the title should say "1968 Datsun Bluebird 510 2 door sedan", but in keeping with my line of work, i would like it to say "Project Datto" hope that's not too much to ask ;)

How come its a sedan with 2 doors? Shouldn't it be classified as a coupe? Like the two door version of a Skyline sedan is a coupe, or the AE-86 which comes as a 2 door coupe or a hatchback?

This is pretty odd, according to Wiki, it had a 2 door coupe and a 2 door sedan variant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsun_510

Launched in August 1968, it was one of the most comprehensive Bluebird ranges in terms of body styles: a two-door sedan, a four-door sedan, a five-door station wagon, and a two-door coupé (added in November 1968).

Anyone know the difference between a 2 door coupe and a 2 door sedan?

This is pretty odd, according to Wiki, it had a 2 door coupe and a 2 door sedan variant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsun_510

Anyone know the difference between a 2 door coupe and a 2 door sedan?

Actually the difference is not based on the number of doors but the construct of the body. A sedan has A,B and C pillars whilst a Coupe' usually has only an A and C pillar and has a three box design (engine/passenger/cargo). A hatchback/liftback has A,B and C pillars with a cabin accessible slanted rear door and has a 2 box design (engine+combined passenger and cargo); which is different from a station-wagon as the latter has a two box design with a D-pillar :)

...obviously with design changes over the years and boundaries have become quite thin and non-existant (the definitions themselves are quite old)

For a general description check wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(automobile)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup%C3%A9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatchback

Check the previous pages of this thread; I have included a link to differences between a 2-door coupe and a 2-door sedan of the 510, and also someone else had given an account of the complete range.