• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1968 Datsun 510 Sedan (Project Datto)

Komisiripala

So your's is a 2-door sedan which is not the same as a coupe' ? hmm...

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2012/10/17/2012-japanese-classic-car-show-part-08-two-door-sedans-2/

I believe both are 2 door sedans, the coupe has a more raked rear windscreen and the rear lamps were connected. Also they were called the Datsun 1600

http://www.datsunhistory.com/home.html

I believe both are 2 door sedans, the coupe has a more raked rear windscreen and the rear lamps were connected. Also they were called the Datsun 1600

http://www.datsunhistory.com/home.html

I have seen 2-door sedans that had the connected rear lamps..not sure if they were like that out of the factory or was installed as such during the restoration process.

Also I don't think it was strictly the coupe that was called the Datsun 1600? In some parts of the world they dropped the "Bluebird" part and called it Datsun 510. And even according to your Datsun history link it was called Datsun 1600 in Australia in general for the line ? and also seems like the coupe came only in a SSS version, thus "SSS coupe" ?

Edited by iRage

The Datsun 510 was either a standard 510 (with the 1300 as is in Suneth's car here) or the special 1600, which came with twin carbs and stuff. To be honest the 1300 was a destroked 1600. The 510 also was used as the basis for the Bluebird. Albeit with cosmetic differences. For example Suneth's car here has a Bluebird interior which is completely different to that of a standard 510. So are the head lamp cluster and so called longer tail lamps at the rear end. The Bluebirds tails were sequential (As featured in the Shelby Mustang GT500KR, when turned on the lights will illuminate in a sequence). Most bits are swappable as the chassis is the same.... The Bluebird also came in SSS form! :) Hope that clears the confusing out. The white car and Suneth's are 510's.

• Like 2

Did you guys also know that the Datsun 510 was known as the poor mans BMW. As it offered quality, comfort and driving habits to that of the BM's of the era. Even the technology and build methods were to European specifications. Hence why this car got so popular and took Nissan to greater heights!

so, a little more work to de-rice the datto. got rid of the cannon. it was giving the hurls. replaced with a neat oval muffler. efficiency shot up just like that. ah the joys of a carb...

photovmn.jpg

photo1sl.JPG

also, got it carpeted properly. this, mind you, was done at a place called Puwak-aramba agencies in moratuwa. they have the faux-3m wool carpet, for 450/- a foot. it took 5' for entire car, and the guys there did an excellent job. i'd highly recommend them to anyone who needs good carpeting on a budget. they did a wonderful job of cutting around the little nooks and crannies and layered the whole car. a bit too enthu, tho. you know, with the "ela kiri wagey karannan sir" "gindara wagey dennan sir" etc. but then... they put their money where their mouth is.

very satis with the end result:

photo5bp.jpg

photo2pr.jpg

photo4vz.jpg

photo3yqq.jpg

next up, a cut, polish. that's it really. that's how good a condition this car is in. :)

This is on top of the old carpeting. And no rust anywhere. Floorboards or undercarriage. Had it jacked up, checked and oiled yesterday.

Carpeting done at Puwak-aramba agencies, moratuwa. 3 story building On land side, after stadium and k-zone, just before the keells outlet, when you're going from colombo side.

its your wish but dont you think its better to have the car as stock without lowering it? personally i like the present blue color but then again thats my preferance though.

she's not staying this color long. she'll go in for all that love that i can throw at it as soon as Project R is complete.

a sneak peek at what my end goal is:

7003422485fe49ac02a2b.jpg

i posted this link in "post whoring",since we have a dedicated thread on the datsun thaught of sharing...

One day i would love to see komi's datsun like this :)

maybe not with a 240z engine, or voodoo blue, but yeah. it'lll get there. rest assured. will take time tho.

and carboy, rear end is already lowered. i like it low. and i don't like the blue. :)

My personal opinion Komi, but cars of this vintage which are also quite rare are best when restored back to their original condition with all modifications possibly with the exception of the AC removed and returned back to the original colour.

But it's your car and ultimately your decision :)

My personal opinion Komi, but cars of this vintage which are also quite rare are best when restored back to their original condition with all modifications possibly with the exception of the AC removed and returned back to the original colour.

But it's your car and ultimately your decision :)

I'm with you on that, Don! However, how difficult do you think sourcing the original wheels and other bits be in Sri Lanka? I'm not against the modifications on that Orange 510, but I think I'd prefer a 'factory fresh' look as well!

I'm with you on that, Don! However, how difficult do you think sourcing the original wheels and other bits be in Sri Lanka? I'm not against the modifications on that Orange 510, but I think I'd prefer a 'factory fresh' look as well!

I guess when the original bits can't be found you can always go with something that looks roughly similar. But because this car was sold in the US I bet breakers over there still has bits, and a shipping company like Trico will be happy to collect and ship back to SL.