• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Compare Bmw 320D Vs Allion 260 - Need Your Thoughts

dedos

Question

Trying to decide between BMW 320D vs Allion 260 and I need your help. Been lurking over this forum for quite a while, did my own online research reading tons of past threads but if any of you can share some honest insight specifically on this, that's gonna be a huge help - for me and many others! Don't think this question/comparison has been done before.

Aight, my goal is to figure out what'd be the better choice out of these two - BMW 320D vs Allion 260 (almost the same as Premio). If you need a manufacture year for the benchmark, let's use 2011. Not planning to get it down, looking at buying a car that's already been imported - so probably gonna be the 2nd/3rd owner. I'll be using this mainly in Colombo and suburbs. Not a family man, just a cool bloke here ;) (family men can be cool too!). I'm not going to be a cheapo - I want to live my life to the fullest, but also not going to forget the fact that SL is one hellova peculiar market - thus wouldn't want to drift too much away from it and live in my own world either. Neither I'm a fanboy of any brand and a pretty much newbie when it comes to vehicles - thus here I am on a public forum asking for expert advice!

My observation/thoughts - Roughly a 2011 Allion 260 would be around 55-60 lks whereas a 2011 BMW 320D would be around 65-70 lks. The difference is one million; now I'd love to go for a BMW but my main concern is if BMW offers the same/more features as an Allion (probably a "stupid" question already but heck, I'm here to learn and grow).

In my own comparison, here's what I know so far. I should also note that I did some intensive research and chose these two cars are two great contenders overall.

Resale value - Both (tho Allion, bearing a Toyota badge seem to have a more stable market value; less depreciating.)

Fuel Efficiency - Allion

Parts - Allion

Prestige (common, let's be honest :) ) - BMW

Features/Specs (my main concern) - Allion? (Again probably another stupid remark but on almost all Allions, and their specs I did see tons of "bells and whistles")

Driving pleasure - BMW? (Assuming BMW has less features, can it exceed the overall experience we get in an Allion?)

Build quality - Both?

Requires less maintenances (comparatively) - Allion

Probably for those who are well versed with the subject this might not even be a worthy comparison - as you'll know what's the best right off the bat, but just sharing your honest opinion without trolling/going with the wave would be of immense help. Please feel free to ask if you need any of my inputs, to craft a better response. :)

17 answers to this question

Apples and Oranges mate.

Depends on what is important and what is not for you persionally on the selection criteria.

If you ask me, BMW hands down. Not saying the Allion is a bad car and I'm infact a big Toyota fan, so I'll stop short of saying cheese and chalk but these two cars are not necessarily "compare similar products", especially in the Sri Lankan context.

• Like 2

the people who buy those 2 cars are from very different market segments IMO.

Anyway, if you're as keen as you sound on the email, and ruppes and cents isnt your primary concern, the BMW would be the nicer option. As long as you're ok with marginally higher maintenance costs, greater depreciation, and (relative) unreliability thee BMW would be bring you a lot of fun :)

• Like 1

Trying to decide between BMW 320D vs Allion 260 and I need your help. Been lurking over this forum for quite a while, did my own online research reading tons of past threads but if any of you can share some honest insight specifically on this, that's gonna be a huge help - for me and many others! Don't think this question/comparison has been done before.

Aight, my goal is to figure out what'd be the better choice out of these two - BMW 320D vs Allion 260 (almost the same as Premio). If you need a manufacture year for the benchmark, let's use 2011. Not planning to get it down, looking at buying a car that's already been imported - so probably gonna be the 2nd/3rd owner. I'll be using this mainly in Colombo and suburbs. Not a family man, just a cool bloke here ;) (family men can be cool too!). I'm not going to be a cheapo - I want to live my life to the fullest, but also not going to forget the fact that SL is one hellova peculiar market - thus wouldn't want to drift too much away from it and live in my own world either. Neither I'm a fanboy of any brand and a pretty much newbie when it comes to vehicles - thus here I am on a public forum asking for expert advice!

My observation/thoughts - Roughly a 2011 Allion 260 would be around 55-60 lks whereas a 2011 BMW 320D would be around 65-70 lks. The difference is one million; now I'd love to go for a BMW but my main concern is if BMW offers the same/more features as an Allion (probably a "stupid" question already but heck, I'm here to learn and grow).

In my own comparison, here's what I know so far. I should also note that I did some intensive research and chose these two cars are two great contenders overall.

Resale value - Both (tho Allion, bearing a Toyota badge seem to have a more stable market value; less depreciating.)

Fuel Efficiency - Allion

Parts - Allion

Features/Specs (my main concern) - Allion? (Again probably another stupid remark but on almost all Allions, and their specs I did see tons of "bells and whistles")

Driving pleasure - BMW? (Assuming BMW has less features, can it exceed the overall experience we get in an Allion?)

Build quality - Both?

Probably for those who are well versed with the subject this might not even be a worthy comparison - as you'll know what's the best right off the bat, but just sharing your honest opinion without trolling/going with the wave would be of immense help. Please feel free to ask if you need any of my inputs, to craft a better response. :)

1) Allion. :D

2) 320D (ask any 320d or 520D owner)

3) BMW (cus milr*y basical got every damn BMW part in his storehouse)

4) Prestige?? obviously BMW, who gives a sh*t about an Allion?

5) Features/Specs - Allion is 10years behind BMW

6) Driving pleasure - BMW cus its an overall car. cornering, stable high at high speeds (200+) superb handling.

7) Build quality .. lol do i even need 2 answer this??:D BMW cus Allion is nowhere near BMW

8) Requires less maintenance (comparatively) IMO BMW bcus it has to be serviced after 18000-20000 kmh,

i know cus i own a BMW..

• Like 2

Resale value - Allion it will be like having cash in the bank, Rs. 50,000/- below the market price there will be a queue in front of your house,

BMW – will be difficult to sell if it is really 2nd, 3rd owner, and you will most probably loose quite a bit at the time of resale may be in 3-4 years

Fuel Efficiency – Allion will be a petrol and BMW most probably diesel (as most of them were imported on permits) generally bmw diesels are very fuel efficient so you might get better km/l on the BMW

Parts – Allion if you genuine parts I don’t think there will be much of a price difference. Jap parts too are expensive these days

Prestige (common, let's be honest ) – BMW (agreed)

BMW – will have 6 speed auto, stability/ traction control, more air bags, I don’t know whether the E90 came with brake regeneration. Manual A/C

Allion – most probably DVD, useless navigation and radio, reverse camera, reverse wiper, very important “winker Mirrors” however the a/c will be climate control (auto) which would be a plus over the Bimmer.

Dude the BMW had better specs for driving experience, it is a rear wheel drive, will have 80% more power (assuming a 1.5 Allion and 320d) loads of torque. Better driver aids to keep you out of trouble. In the event of an unfortunate mishap you will be safer in the Bimmer.

Build quality - Both? (With time Allion will be wear and tare better than the Bimmer, if you take care of the Beast BMWs too can be reliable

Requires less maintenances (comparatively) – Allion (agreed)

• Like 3

Fuel Efficiency - Allion

Parts - Allion

Build quality - Both?

Completely agreeing with hardhat, you are trying to compare 2 cars that are:

• Intended for totally deferent consumer segments.
  • Fulfils totally different sets of needs.
  • Dishing out totally different ownership experiences.

Such 2 contenders cannot be compared on the grounds that you have suggested and the result will not be useful to any potential buyers.

Also, if this thread serves as a serious decision making input for you, based on the things that you are evaluating, I’m inclined to think that you are better suited for an Allion.

• You seem to thinks that some cars require more maintenance than others. An equally equipped Allion will require just as more maintenance as a Beemer to stay in an optimum condition. Just because Jap motors are less sensitive to overshooting service intervals doesn’t mean that you should.
  • You seeing a lot of “bells and whistles” in the Allion also seem to indicate your interest towards the car. Your own online research and tons that you have read definitely would have revealed the following list of options for the E90 http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?s=d26db8b440d1f02cfff2c200d560c1d5&attachmentid=353172&d=1267246093.

(Before you argue that the list is for North America, I have posted it here as an example. If you look hard enough you definitely can find an E90 which is quipped to impress in the local market)

• For a chap believing in living life to the fullest you seem to be bit concerned about things such as resale value, fuel efficiency & leaning towards either a small engine or a diesel. Personally I think you can live a much ‘fuller’ life with a 6pot E34 or a Toyota Mark II X100 for a whole lot less worry about money.

All n all the decision is personal and you have the power. But as an observer the above is what I see. So please don’t be insulted or offended if I say that Allion is the best for you. Just take it or leave it.

Edit: Removed duplicated text

Edited by k9master
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for responses. Very interesting perspectives, and the knowledge. One fine example would be kush and Blitz having different opinions on Requires less maintenances (comparatively) - which is exactly why I'm here; to get a better understanding.

Fuel Efficiency - Allion

Parts - Allion

Build quality - Both?

Dedos, I think you've got a few things wrong (for I have driven both cars and probably more BMWs than Toyotas)

Resale value - Allion (and I'm thinking over a 5 year period)

Fuel Efficiency - 320D (because a modern diesel will always trump a petrol in fuel efficiency and the 320d is very good)

Parts - Allion

Prestige BMW

Features/Specs (my main concern) - Allion? (And this is only because the cars being brought down to SL is a slightly lower spec due to taxes)

Driving pleasure - BMW (hands down no questions asked)

Build quality - Both

Requires less maintenances (comparatively) - Allion (though this is again not entirely correct. The Toyota engine will probably suffer more not being maintained properly and survive, but the common rail diesels anyway need to be taken care of well so it's not quite the same thing. The 320d is not a heavy maintenance vehicle)

Seriously you are comparing vehicles on two different leagues. If you can afford a BMW, worth the penny and the package to get along with it. Only problem would be resale and of course parts. Other than those it should be a good buy.