• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Supercharger

dingy

Guys what is the minimum cc level needed to supercharge??

dingy,

You have come with a very good question. It is a very interesting subject. Have to do same with after reading lot.

Superchargers can be fitted to any fuel used engine with very low CC capacity to high capacity. Two or Four stroke engines. To increase performance.

Your question about supercharges is not new to Automobile engines to my knowledge this subject was done in Ceylon, by many automobile engineers for years.

I remember all Late Automobile engineers, Mr. Boyd Pompious and Mr. Cedric Senaviratne who was at Walker sons, motor department.

Mr. A.P. Rowlends and Mr Filby of Rowlend's Garage who did plenty of trials on racing cars. During their time.

Please Inform what engine capacity you want to do this experiment.

I have tried several electric blowers for Gasoline engines. never completed the project.

Mine first was a Computer cooling blower to inlet manifold on a EFI engine. Cannot remember the performance. To give much details.

Then in Sri lanka did not have a Dynamometer to test performance. Now it is available if you do a modification you can do a test before and after.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

dingy,

You have come with a very good question. It is a very interesting subject. Have to do same with after reading lot.

Superchargers can be fitted to any fuel used engine with very low CC capacity to high capacity. Two or Four stroke engines. To increase performance.

Your question about supercharges is not new to Automobile engines to my knowledge this subject was done in Ceylon, by many automobile engineers for years.

I remember all Late Automobile engineers, Mr. Boyd Pompious and Mr. Cedric Senaviratne who was at Walker sons, motor department.

Mr. A.P. Rowlends and Mr Filby of Rowlend's Garage who did plenty of trials on racing cars. During their time.

Please Inform what engine capacity you want to do this experiment.

I have tried several electric blowers for Gasoline engines. never completed the project.

Mine first was a Computer cooling blower to inlet manifold on a EFI engine. Cannot remember the performance. To give much details.

Then in Sri lanka did not have a Dynamometer to test performance. Now it is available if you do a modification you can do a test before and after.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Though on face value it may sound like it's a supercharger, I reckon that fan probably created a greater obstruction to the air flow than "force induce" it. If i'm not mistaken a supercharger (a real one, not a computer cooling fan) consumes around 20%-30% of the engine's output power, which is a LOT LOOOOT more than what a PC cooling fan consumes. So then COULD a PC cooling fan really help?

And use some common sense sylvi; keep your hand/palm close to the air cleaner's intake; does the suction power of that feel much higher than the suction power you feel if you keep your hand behind your computer's cooling fan?

To make a significant impact on performance you need create a boost pressure on the intake over and above the atmospheric pressure. For this, the nominal atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psi should be boosted by another 5 -7 psi to get a (theoretical) performance boost of 30 - 50%. It is impossible for a 12V electric fan to do this as Watchman says unless of course it can be made to spin at round 100,000 RPM!. Now here comes the practical limitation for a supercharger on a small engine due to the additional load requirement to run the supercharger.

To make a significant impact on performance you need create a boost pressure on the intake over and above the atmospheric pressure. For this, the nominal atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psi should be boosted by another 5 -7 psi to get a (theoretical) performance boost of 30 - 50%. It is impossible for a 12V electric fan to do this as Watchman says unless of course it can be made to spin at round 100,000 RPM!. Now here comes the practical limitation for a supercharger on a small engine due to the additional load requirement to run the supercharger.

Rumesh88,

Your post gives some boost performance Theoretical information.

I tried a experiment there was no way for me to test the performance development of before and after.

There fore I discontinued same and after that I drooped the boosting project.

As for your post I agree with your explanation of significant performance increase there should be a different method of boosting.

JadyBlitzen,

Your post also gives a correct explanation this fan gives only a uniform delivery. Therefore the engine requirement is not met according to demand of engine.

Fan motor can run on very high speeds. Without custom made specially built bearings, fan blades. Main point is required air delivery on demand.

I know this cannot be done with a small fan like the fan I used. My main idea was to try out because were few web a based projects.

To boost of intake Do it your self explained. I tried few of them.None of them were successful only wastage of time and money.

As JadyBlitzen's Correct comparison on his post informs it is like fuel n savers.Placebo effect. For few Rupees.

I believe in trying out a new projects at my cost, if some one explains correctly on paper mostly engineering projects.

I have done several building Engineering projects successfully even today they are existing on my land in Colombo 00300 for last ten years or more.

One which I tried out any one even today can do number of floors on a high rice building, flat builder can do same without any difficulty, Saving on cost is 30%.

In west this method is done very successfully. There are few buildings in Colombo, western method is done and can see the cost saving.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi

Your experiments on supercharging with an electric fan are perfectly OK. After all that's the spirit of experimenting and innovation. The biggest obstacle to innovation is the fear of failure. We only get to hear about the success stories of innovators. So good luck and keep going!

Guys what is the minimum cc level needed to supercharge??

ok this is gonna be a long reply, so apologies in advance.

there is no minimum CC limit as stated here on the thread,

since your looking at limits, you will have a lower limit for the SC to be compatible with your chosen engine. SC's are primarily classified by CC's of air moved per rev of the SC.

lemme give you an exg of a situ i came up with recently,

i got hold of an AMR500 SC from a nissan march pretty cheeep on an impulse buy which i wanted to couple to a C240 diesel in my jeep.

but once i started out on the math, it quickly became apparent it was a bad idea.

this SC revolves 500cc of air per rev. (Revs have a upper limit of ~ 16k rpm)

@ 2 crank revs per 4 stroke cycle, one rev of the C240 requires 1200cc of air, meaning, my sc would need to be overdriven 2.2:1 just to fulfill the normal air requirment.

so using this as a baseline, you can target your desired boost levels. again, this particular calc is not starighforward as it needs to include compressor efficiencies at target RPM ranges. this overdriven ratio also limits max engine revs possible.

given this base data, i decided against it, Cuz if i had gone ahead with it, i would be pushing the SC's limits, only to produce a minimal (around 5Psi by my calc's) amount of boost, on top of the intensive labour needed fab-up everything.

would have been a different case entirely if it was mated to a 4 stroke 750CC engine though, =P

long story short, on a Supercharged Engine build, a bigger SC is better if you can get one, (obviously a perfectly matched engine- SC combo is the best, but im assuming that is not the case)

btw, readup on this article: http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=110116

best of luck to ya!