• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil Leakage Into Turbo Charger/engine - Pajero Io

Y3K

Hi,

My Paj IO (a 2001, turbo, GDI), was having some pickup issues, and it was consuming oil. (About 2 ltrs/month)

As per the initial diagnosis by a set of uni** mechanics, the diagnosis lead to changing of head-gasket and ring-set.

So the engine was dismantled, but at that point the real issue has been discovered as an oil-leakage into the turbo engine, which is a bit alarming since cost of repairing or replacing a turbo charger seems to be a bit high.

Anyways, can someone please point me to a place that does turbo engine repairs?

I'm also searching for 2nd hand turbo engine as a replacement. Once again any places to specifically check it for?

Thanks in advance,

Y3K, there are a couple of workshops which now repair turbo chargers in SL. A place called turbo city which advertises in ##### comes to mind but there might be more.

Also take a little tour down engine watte in Panchikawatte as you might be able to find a second hand turbo charger (maybe the entire engine). You should check the cost of that to how much a professionally rebuilt or brand new one will cost (because sometimes they are comparable). Find the model of the turbo charger first. It's likely to be made by a company like Garrett and likely to be featured in other engines too.

Thanks Don, will look it up. JDNet also gave me some advice regarding the issue, so lets see how it goes.

I've been told about a professional repairers for turbo near kadhana and thorana junction as well.

Any idea?

Mr. Y3K,

Try as for your post at Kandana Mr. Mendis on De Mazanad college road. His work is good, did heavy generator turbos of several industrial engines, recreantly to me working very satisfactory for heavy loads during power interruptions.

I am very satisfied better than most reputed agents who charge heavily on their brand name.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Don, will look it up. JDNet also gave me some advice regarding the issue, so lets see how it goes.

I've been told about a professional repairers for turbo near kadhana and thorana junction as well.

Any idea?

So was the piston ring kit and head gasket unnecessary in the end? I guess it's still good to do a partial engine rebuild since you've got the parts though this is typical of dealerships of recommending repairs without actually isolating the cause.

In their defence I have to admit that there comes a time in engines were issues seem to propagate due to general wear and tear.

The Don: Yeah, i'll replace it since I've already gotten it down, but wish the parts were available in SL prior which would've save me a lump sum.

Well guys, should I try to locate a 2nd hand GDI Unit while trying to get the existing unit checked (just in case)???

The Don: Yeah, i'll replace it since I've already gotten it down, but wish the parts were available in SL prior which would've save me a lump sum.

Well guys, should I try to locate a 2nd hand GDI Unit while trying to get the existing unit checked (just in case)???

I think JD etc thought some of the idle and acceleration issues you've got was down to the GDi pump. Perhaps you should try the cheap and simple solution of getting it cleaned before any expensive solutions.

Has the engine suffered any oil starvation issues and do you have tappet noise?

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Here's an update of so far what I have done.

1. - Replace gasket and ring set with an engine overhaul.

2. - Service the GDI pump as many of you advice - It seems some horse or tube was broken. It had to be replaced

3. - Service and checked the throttle body

4. - Gear box mount replacement

5. - EGR valve blocking

Even after everything the rough idling is still there with high oil consumption (1/2 ltr per 100km!)... Now the next target is the turbo unit :(

Edited by Y3K

Members,

I have come across 3 Diesel engines which had damaged due to oil leaking in to turbo.

There by engine had gone over RPM and damaged.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

this is engine runs continuously by burning oil. If the engine runs in high-rev even after switching off the keys, immediately shut it off by engaging to 4th or 5th (whatever highest) gear and releasing clutch with brakes applied fully. In an autogear setup wait till the engine siezes.

i think the OP hadn't checked the basics first. Turbo unit MUST be the culprit as even after a partial rebuild including the rings which has main usual culprit (worn out oil rings) replaced.

take off the out pipe from the turbo and check for oil as Nilantha said. There's a guy called Wasantha in Matugama area, he's suppose to be one of the best turbo repairing guys in the country. Try to source the place if you have any contacts in that area.

Thanks for the info guys,

Will try the PVC first. Went to a guy in Kadana for the turbo, but his fee is a bit more than what I can handle at the moment.. also going for another engine scan at unimo as well.

Hmm...

why not use an oil catch can?

Blitz, you really need to understand what you are talking about before you make comments. Why don't you read up on what an oil catch can does and separately on how a turbo is lubricated. Then at least you will understand what people are talking about here.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I was finally able to locate the culprit for the oil issue.

It was Valve Oil Seals!!!

It seems that in the first overall the seals that was placed had a wear.

The agents explained this as a cause of not using genuine parts!

Also rough idling had been due to an issue with a sensor near Injectors!

jdnet remember the reading you got related to the petrol mixture??? Once it was replaced the rough idling problem was solved!

Thanks for all your valuable advice's and help

Cheers!!!

Hi All,

I was finally able to locate the culprit for the oil issue.

It was Valve Oil Seals!!!

It seems that in the first overall the seals that was placed had a wear.

The agents explained this as a cause of not using genuine parts!

Also rough idling had been due to an issue with a sensor near Injectors!

jdnet remember the reading you got related to the petrol mixture??? Once it was replaced the rough idling problem was solved!

Thanks for all your valuable advice's and help

Cheers!!!

Y3K, try to find out the exact name of the sensor if you can. Its useful information to all Mitsubishi owners.

Hi Don,

It's FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR.

The look is similar to this,

$(KGrHqF,!qEFII-WTi6WBSD8-38Cew~~60_35.J

I think i have the removed sensor with me, will check it up for the number and get exact details.

Thanks,

Edited by Y3K