• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

ireshlk

Question

Hello Guys,

I need some advises and suggestions from suzuki jimny owners and any one who has the experience with them, Im planing to buy one, suzuki jimny 1999 or 2000, 2003, this happens to be my 1st vehicle and i dont have any experience about them, It will be used for light work and city running most of the time. Basically i want to buy a SUV,( coz i like the JEEP factor), so i want to know.

1. Is suzuki jimny is the vehicle for me, is it good when comparing with terios daihatsu or RUSH, Honda Hr-v etc

2. What is the average price range ? (i did a search, so comes up with range 17 to 20 )

3. What is the fuel consumption?

4. what about the spare parts and general problems associated with this vehicle?

* Im mainly looking for SUV(Mini) below 2M, and i dont have any technical knowledge about motor vehicles , Please let me know what you think.

Thank you

Jimny is a 2-door 4 seater with limited space and small luggage space. It's got the same engine as Suzuki Swift and it has 4WD. The vehicle itself is not common and spares are not easy to come by. Terios on the other hand, is a 4-door car and its more spacious. Hence, it is more common.

Sooner or later, the suspension of Jimny will go bonkers and you will have to shell out about 30-40k for repairs.

You can get a Terios, Cami, old Vitara, Maruti Gypsy, Pajero Mini, Zotye Nomad 1.3 for that price range.

If you want to look cool in a vehicle that pretends to be a JEEP, please don't ask about fuel economy. None of these will do more than 8 to the litre.

If I were you, I will try to get a Perodua Kembara. It's same as Terios except for the front grille. But its made in Malaysia. I would use that as a bargaining point to grab one for about 1.5-1.6 million.

• Like 1

Thank you Crosswind,

Yes, It looks great. and also i found several of them 2001 model around 1.6M, plus it has four seats, that's a big plus point for me. so can you please give me some information about this one,

1. About the spare part availability and probable failures in the vehicle,

2. Any good places that i can look for buy one ? (i dont know whether autolanka allows this kind of questions, if tis not please ignore this)

and please share any necessary information regarding this matter,

Thank you

Thank you Crosswind,

Yes, It looks great. and also i found several of them 2001 model around 1.6M, plus it has four seats, that's a big plus point for me. so can you please give me some information about this one,

1. About the spare part availability and probable failures in the vehicle,

2. Any good places that i can look for buy one ? (i dont know whether autolanka allows this kind of questions, if tis not please ignore this)

and please share any necessary information regarding this matter,

Thank you

What car are you talking about? Jimny? Terios? Kembara??? If it's Jimny, I have already answered your questions

And i didnt found single

PERODUA KEMBARA s for sale in autolanka, :-(

They are not very common. You just need to keep looking.

• Like 1

"my 1st vehicle and i dont have any experience about them, It will be used for light work and city running most of the time. Basically i want to buy a SUV,( coz i like the JEEP factor), so i want to know."

> Jimny is a 2 door (3) suv and u can have 4 average adults in it. But it is a bit of a pain as the back seat has to be accessed by the front left door. this issue is relates with how many u r taking and whether there are many pick ups and drop offs. Again if you don't mind then no issue. Jimny doesn't give much trouble for maintenance. Engine spares are available and engine is almost similar to the swift with vvt. Jimny is capable of offroading and u will be able to use it for adventure trips as well. It all depends on what u require. But mark my words, when u have a SUV, u would want to try that out someday... :)

1. Is suzuki jimny is the vehicle for me, is it good when comparing with terios daihatsu or RUSH, Honda Hr-v etc

> Well u need to figure that out depending on what u want to do and what u got (money). Rush and HRV are not in ur price range so leave them out. Advantage with daihatsu terios is that it got 4 doors. But the width of the vehicle is not that great to accomodate a 3rd person in the rear seat for a trip. Stability is also a concern with terios as the width of the axles compared to the height of the vehicle. Also, most terios are not having 4wheel drive. So, oneday u might wake up and wonder why am i having a suv with no 4wheel drive. (again if it is only for showing off then ok.. till somene tell u that urs doesn't have 4whl so it's no good).

2. What is the average price range ? (i did a search, so comes up with range 17 to 20 )

> 17 to 19 would be a better range. but it is up to you to decide the age of it.

3. What is the fuel consumption?

> Jimny does about 14kmpl long distance with a very light foot on the gas (5fwd manual) with 95octane

4. what about the spare parts and general problems associated with this vehicle?

> Basically a reliable vehicle if maintained properly.Engine spares are not much difficult to find and other spares are available (not with A*W) outside shops. But worst case, you will be able to order anything for this online (but I am sure that it will not come to this).

My simple advise is thatu keep away from Perodua.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your valuable sharing :-)

HR71,

Im a Engineer and im going to use this for go to work, most of the time on well paved roads :-) but i really like the JEEP factor and need 4weel drive for occasional trips, plus during 90% of the time there will be only one passenger, so i dont much worry about the limited capacity of the vehicle.

the things i really worry about are,

1. Probable failures of the vehicle, comparing Terios and Jimny ?

2. Fuel consumption, comparing Terios and Jimny?

3. Best looks, comparing those two vehicles ?

and why are you saying perodua's are not good ? please give some clues

@HR71- could u give a little more detail about the jimny fuel figures? Whats the difference of it with 90 and 95 octane?

@ireshlk- someday u might have to take a sick person to a hospital or take an old relative to a wedding. thats the day u will regrest buying a 2-door car. unless u have other means, avoid getting a 2 door car.

• Like 1

@Sylvi

Bt its Indian, i have once used a Maruti 800 and it gives me really bad impression on every Indian vehicle.. bt dont know about this one, Can you please give me some information regarding Maruti Gypsy ?

Gypsy is a bloody awful pile of metal, which is very uncomfortable. No A/C, No power steering, No power mirrors, shutters, or anything. Test drive one and see. U will run away from it faster than superman. Sylvi supports indian and chinese vehicles btw.

• Like 1

Thz Crosswind,

As what i have seen here, i think only disadvantage with the Jimny is 2 DOOR issue, other than that when we comparing it with Terios,

1. Jimny is less in price comparing to Terios. (Gap is about 3-4 laks)

2. Jimny year is 2005 and Terios is 1999

3. Jimny has high fuel economy comparing with Terios

4. Jimny is Suzuki, so spares are available.

Please make your comments about those.

Thank you

In defense of the Jimny/Samurai, they are in fact proper off roaders, just pocket sized; they have solid axles, proper transfer cases and all, and they can be taken off road quite easily, the low weight being an advantage in sticky situations, but the compact dimensions do mean it has a higher center of gravity.

The Terios/Rush are simply crossover vehicles which are based on car platforms, and their only distinct advantage is the higher ground clearance and seating position.

Edited by terrabytetango

Thz Crosswind,

As what i have seen here, i think only disadvantage with the Jimny is 2 DOOR issue, other than that when we comparing it with Terios,

1. Jimny is less in price comparing to Terios. (Gap is about 3-4 laks)

2. Jimny year is 2005 and Terios is 1999

3. Jimny has high fuel economy comparing with Terios

4. Jimny is Suzuki, so spares are available.

Please make your comments about those.

Thank you

1. Simple reason is the 2-door issue

2. That generation of Terios was manufactured till 2004 or 5

3. I disagree with that statement. Both should give similar figures. Anything above 9 is just a pipe dream

4. Disagree. A good friend of mine owned a Jimny. He had a hell of a time finding body parts. Engine parts shouldn't be a problem because its the Suzuki Swift engine anyway. There are more Terios in Sri Lanka than Jimny so I would actually expect more spares for Terios (toyota cami spares will also fit)

In defense of the Jimny/Samurai, they are in fact proper off roaders, just pocket sized; they have solid axles, proper transfer cases and all, and they can be taken off road quite easily, the low weight being an advantage in sticky situations, but the compact dimensions do mean it has a higher center of gravity.

The Terios/Rush are simply crossover vehicles which are based on car platforms, and their only distinct advantage is the higher ground clearance and seating position.

On the other hand, neither Terios nor Jimny is stable at high speeds on flat roads. In fact, these two vehicles have very poor handling, owing to the high center of gravity.

Hello guys,

i just come across Jeep called Escudo, Its Suzuki.... Please make some comments about this, fuel, maintenance, Spares etc. Any help will be highly appreciated.

The Escudo is also known as the Vitara, usually comes with a 1.6 Litre engine which is enough because it is fairly light. Get the Manual, that does 9 odd in the city and 12-13 outstation depending on how you drive it of course. Parts are not available on every corner like for a corolla but there are plenty of suppliers. The Vitara was an official import by A-M-W so you should be able to get a potential purchase checked out there...

Overall its a pretty tough and reliable little truck which can handle itself off road thanks to a separate chassis and proper low range gearbox on the manual. Only downside is that it doesn't much like going fast around corners.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/vitara-lwb-1993/

That link should give you a summary.

1. Simple reason is the 2-door issue

2. That generation of Terios was manufactured till 2004 or 5

3. I disagree with that statement. Both should give similar figures. Anything above 9 is just a pipe dream

4. Disagree. A good friend of mine owned a Jimny. He had a hell of a time finding body parts. Engine parts shouldn't be a problem because its the Suzuki Swift engine anyway. There are more Terios in Sri Lanka than Jimny so I would actually expect more spares for Terios (toyota cami spares will also fit)

On the other hand, neither Terios nor Jimny is stable at high speeds on flat roads. In fact, these two vehicles have very poor handling, owing to the high center of gravity.

Well Ive had first hand experience of the terror due to poor handling of terios few years back. I was the front passenger in my friends Terios,when it went with two wheels(Like a night rider type of stunt) after taking a bend just after Belihuloya. Thank god,it came down on right side and still remember the silence inside the vehicle for few minutes! :) .

Well Ive had first hand experience of the terror due to poor handling of terios few years back. I was the front passenger in my friends Terios,when it went with two wheels(Like a night rider type of stunt) after taking a bend just after Belihuloya. Thank god,it came down on right side and still remember the silence inside the vehicle for few minutes! :) .

Good for you mate. I had the same terror in a Maruti Wagon R once. As a policy, I don't get in to Wagon Rs even as a passenger. I don't think Jimny is any better than that. As for OP, a Vitara is a much better option.

Good for you mate. I had the same terror in a Maruti Wagon R once. As a policy, I don't get in to Wagon Rs even as a passenger. I don't think Jimny is any better than that. As for OP, a Vitara is a much better option.

Hmm...Vitara looks bit stable ,but never driven one. I think most of the mid range SUVs in that era have this issue. Wagon R may be worse than Terios with small tyres,and small wheelbase.

• Like 1

absolutely. Jimny / Samurai is a very capable off roader for its size but not really good at speed and corners on road. And being a two door it's a real hassle if you'd regularly carry rear seat passengers.

Terios is not a capable off roader and also not really good at corners on road.

Vitara / Escudo has somewhat decent on and off road capabilities and comes in both 2 door and 4 door variants. And if I'm correct there was a diesel as well.

• Like 1

Im a Engineer and im going to use this for go to work, most of the time on well paved roads :-) but i really like the JEEP factor and need 4weel drive for occasional trips, plus during 90% of the time there will be only one passenger, so i dont much worry about the limited capacity of the vehicle.

If these are the things you want, then the outside the box option is to get something like mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Wizard

Mine looks like this -

25ROc.jpg

And it's not for sale :)

A little rare, so you will have to search a little. Diesel. Body parts might be difficult, but most of the working parts are straight off the Isuzu Trooper. Only real issue I see is, its a little over your budget. I paid 2.5 for mine. But then again, I probably paid quite a bit too much for it.

I own an Escudo YOM 2000,manual transmission with 2.0L engine.It does about 6-8 kmpl on city running and about 9-11 kmpl on the highway.Body parts are not easy to find but most of the mechanical parts are available at panchikawatta.Some you can even order and get down from Singapore and still the price would be much less than AM*.

• Like 1

Thz for the Tip every one, using the keyword Vitara, i just found few great looking vehicles "Suzuki Vitara 2 door Soft Top"

000102572_3.jpg

It looks like this, This is a controvertible one, and nonconvertible ones are also available. The problem is name Vitara, now i have two different looking vehicles which having same name :-D. Any one had experience with this ?