• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Carbon Fiber Stickers For Cars

Nimz77

If you want a carbon fibre hood for your car they can be bought on ebay starting at about USD$ 400. If you're asking where to buy vinyl stickers that are stuck on top of an existing steel hood so that it resembles carbon fire: Why on earth would you ever want to do that?

For:

a: Anyone who doesn't know about carbon fibre hoods / bonnets would think that your car was involved in an accident and that the hood was replaced. They would also assume that you're too broke to get the replacement hood properly colour matched to the existing colour of your car. Net result = Fail.

b: Anyone who knows enough about cars and composite materials to recognize a carbon fibre hood / bonnet would realize right away that the hood isn't really made of carbon fibre, but is merely a vinyl sticker stuck on top of the steel hood. They would think you're a ricer. Net result = Fail.

If you want a carbon fibre hood / bonnet, get the real thing. If you can't afford to then: Save yourself the expense of buying a vinyl sticker and faking it for, in my opinion as explained above, even if you do: Its a no-win situation.

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 5

If you want a carbon fibre hood for your car they can be bought on ebay starting at about USD$ 400. If you're asking where to buy vinyl stickers that are stuck on top of an existing steel hood so that it resembles carbon fire: Why on earth would you ever want to do that?

For:

a: Anyone who doesn't know about carbon fibre hoods / bonnets would think that your car was involved in an accident and that the hood was replaced. They would also assume that you're too broke to get the replacement hood properly colour matched to the existing colour of your car. Net result = Fail.

b: Anyone who knows enough about cars and composite materials to recognize a carbon fibre hood / bonnet would realize right away that the hood isn't really made of carbon fibre, but is merely a vinyl sticker stuck on top of the steel hood. They would think you're a ricer. Net result = Fail.

If you want a carbon fibre hood / bonnet, get the real thing. If you can't afford to then: Save yourself the expense of buying a vinyl sticker and faking it for, in my opinion as explained above, even if you do: Its a no-win situation.

well said bro..

Shipping and taxes for an eBay cf hood is though the roof.

Someone should honestly import cf body panels tho. I'm sure there'll be enough takers

Or manufacture them locally for export. There's a company that sells the materials ( fibre sheets, layering sheets / core material, reinforcing sheets, vacuum bags, resin etc.) as well as the stuff to build the moulds to small scale producers: It seems like a decent BOI business in the making for the right person.

Edited by Kavvz

For:

Painfully true :D

There's another option, you can 'skin' your existing hood. But it involves a lot more work than the DI NOC. You have to buy the actual CF material, sand down the clear coat, use actual resin to apply the CF cloth and clear coat it once cured. It will look more realistic than the DI NOC (Cos it is actual CF) but you won't be able to peel it off and It will add a bit more weight.

Thanks..can i use it(3M Di-NOC dinoc Carbon Fiber Vinyl ) for repair damage dashboard?

Well, stickering up a non-flat surface is not an easy task, especially when its a small part... a slightly curved hood might be managable with a fair amount of heatings/stretching.. but stuff like dashboards etc is gonna be pretty hard and ur gonna have a bad time..

Some of my bike's plastics were faded beyond recovery and I opted for carbon fiber stickers (also cos it went well with my helmet). The 2 sight boards were ok, but the headlight cover which is of a fairly abstract shape was pretty hard to get right.. i started off with the more prominently seen parts so that all the cuts/bumps/overlaps towards the end were hidden away. But when you look at it close, you know it's not a good job. So stuff like a dashboard and interior parts are gonna be WAY more obvious..

This is what my sticker job ended up like..

428606_10150806746564838_1134873331_n.jp

Another alternative is to buy one of those kits off the internet that come with the CF weave/fabric and resin. Much harder process Cos you gotta lay the fabric/resin nice then sand it down really well and apply a laquor on it for that final shine.. much better finish (also a bit more costly than the sticker)

Well, stickering up a non-flat surface is not an easy task, especially when its a small part... a slightly curved hood might be managable with a fair amount of heatings/stretching.. but stuff like dashboards etc is gonna be pretty hard and ur gonna have a bad time..

Some of my bike's plastics were faded beyond recovery and I opted for carbon fiber stickers (also cos it went well with my helmet). The 2 sight boards were ok, but the headlight cover which is of a fairly abstract shape was pretty hard to get right.. i started off with the more prominently seen parts so that all the cuts/bumps/overlaps towards the end were hidden away. But when you look at it close, you know it's not a good job. So stuff like a dashboard and interior parts are gonna be WAY more obvious..

Another alternative is to buy one of those kits off the internet that come with the CF weave/fabric and resin. Much harder process Cos you gotta lay the fabric/resin nice then sand it down really well and apply a laquor on it for that final shine.. much better finish (also a bit more costly than the sticker)

Nice Bike Bro. Cheers

Doesn't look half as bad as you say...the rear sides look awesome. Have you considered clear coating this?

• 3 years later...

Is there any professional place you know who could paste the carbon fibre wrap for door switch panels etc? :)

Is there any professional place you know who could paste the carbon fibre wrap for door switch panels etc? :)

No, but if you buy some extra wrap/sticker some trial and error wouldn't hurt. It can be quite fun too.. if ot gos wrong, take of that sticker and start again.. :D

No, but if you buy some extra wrap/sticker some trial and error wouldn't hurt. It can be quite fun too.. if ot gos wrong, take of that sticker and start again.. :D

haha :D

Actually I tried the hydrographic printing for panels in teak which were faded (switch panels in the door) and the results were pretty much good as i got them in the morning today :)

• 1 year later...

sorry to bring an old thread. does anyone have experience of a proper carbon fibre body cover job like this internet photo in Sri Lanka?(workshops,compared to a regular paintjob the costs and weather / scratch resistance etc)

WP_20170518_002.jpg

Edited by ajm