• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vvti Engine Chocolate Issue

PrasannaDs

Question

Dear Experts

I m looking for well maintained Toyota 121 these days . Got to know about the above Chocolate Issue in VVTI engines which has a crucial effect on performance . According to a garage man around Battaramulla the issue is prominent in most of the VVTI s using M*B*L Oil .

Hope the experts will give us a better view .

Thanks

we use Mobile 15W engine oil for our VVTi engine..

When the VVTi gradually kicks in Yo. it produce some cadbury dairy milk. this is a issue for me because i prefer white tobleron or even a kinder bueno.

with the best case scenario you can get cadbury fruit and nut chocolate, but it still not close enough :( monawa karandadha

• Like 2

for a moment there i thought someone poured choclote to the engine.... man... anyway i don't think this is a common problem. maybe people who are using one kind of oil is developing this problem.. 121 is still one of the best selling cars and the price keeps n climbing so i doubt this is a common issue..

for a moment there i thought someone poured choclote to the engine.... man... anyway i don't think this is a common problem. maybe people who are using one kind of oil is developing this problem.. 121 is still one of the best selling cars and the price keeps n climbing so i doubt this is a common issue..

And who dosen't like to have bonus chocolate unless you are having diabetes.

Actually to be honest I'm seeing far too many 121s with sludged up motors for this to be a random occurrence. But you know maybe it has something do with demographics too. The typical 121 owner reuses oil filters, uses cheap oil, doesn't change it on time and only cares about fuel consumption.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 4

on a serious note.

when your service due time is reached. whether your oil looks clean or not.

stop being El-Cheapo and change it.

it doesnt actually have to do anything with the VVTi

its how you take care of the car..

• Like 1

I've seen this issue come up on other forums and it seems like quite a common problem associated with the 1NZ. Usually synthetic oils, long service intervals (by both time and distance) are to blame. Still My 1NZ has been on mobil 1 0w-40 as far as I can remember. I do regular oil changes at 15k kms and its done 50k in the past 8 years. It runs and sounds brand new and still feels like it has all the 108 ponies it started with. And I dont think a leading car manufacturer in the world like toyota would ignore such an issue when developing their engines.

I'm pretty sure like jd and schiffer said it happens when you run the engines long after your oil has expired and if the filters aren't changed with the oil. Just think about all the corollas running on company car fleets and I think we got ourselves an answer.

• Like 2

Actually to be honest I'm seeing far too many 121s with sludged up motors for this to be a random occurrence. But you know maybe it has something do with demographics too. The typical 121 owner reuses oil filters, uses cheap oil, doesn't change it on time and only cares about fuel consumption.

yep i think thats correct... the oil breaks down even if you haven't run the KM"s.. a cardinal mistake ur typical corolla user would make. best thing to do before buying is to inspect it to the best you can.. ask for oil change records, and if not.. make some best offers or walk away... and if u get it at a bargain.. dont be a chepo. get an engine flush done to remove the sludge and off you go...

Edited by charitha19

I've seen this issue come up on other forums and it seems like quite a common problem associated with the 1NZ. Usually synthetic oils, long service intervals (by both time and distance) are to blame. Still My 1NZ has been on mobil 1 0w-40 as far as I can remember. I do regular oil changes at 15k kms and its done 50k in the past 8 years. It runs and sounds brand new and still feels like it has all the 108 ponies it started with. And I dont think a leading car manufacturer in the world like toyota would ignore such an issue when developing their engines.

I'm pretty sure like jd and schiffer said it happens when you run the engines long after your oil has expired and if the filters aren't changed with the oil. Just think about all the corollas running on company car fleets and I think we got ourselves an answer.

Dear All

There is an important factor that we sometimes overlook when it come to how we decide on the next oil change. If you are like me who gets stuck in traffic everyday for up to 40 min to travel just 10 km to office, it is not very advisable to depend on a fixed odometer reading like 15k, 5k etc., to decide your next oil change. Of course, we do not have a method to check engine hours but in the same way we put a limit on the time duration (like 15km or 6 months which ever comes first) if we run regularly on jammed up roads we must consider the ENGINE HOURS too. It is difficult to quantify I know, but if that is the case with you, you must change your oil well before the odometer reach the recommended limit for the type of oil you use. The OP refers to users of M*B*L but this is nothing to do with the type of oil but how many engine hours you run on a particular type of oil. However, those who use synthetic oil and run 15k are more likely to face this issue because the number of engine hours keeps on accumulating until they run 15k. I wish to hear your comments on this.

Dear All

There is an important factor that we sometimes overlook when it come to how we decide on the next oil change. If you are like me who gets stuck in traffic everyday for up to 40 min to travel just 10 km to office, it is not very advisable to depend on a fixed odometer reading like 15k, 5k etc., to decide your next oil change. Of course, we do not have a method to check engine hours but in the same way we put a limit on the time duration (like 15km or 6 months which ever comes first) if we run regularly on jammed up roads we must consider the ENGINE HOURS too. It is difficult to quantify I know, but if that is the case with you, you must change your oil well before the odometer reach the recommended limit for the type of oil you use. The OP refers to users of M*B*L but this is nothing to do with the type of oil but how many engine hours you run on a particular type of oil. However, those who use synthetic oil and run 15k are more likely to face this issue because the number of engine hours keeps on accumulating until they run 15k. I wish to hear your comments on this.

Fair point but I still don't see much of an issue with that. Firstly we have to assume that oil manufacturers take into account that number of kms covered between changes are not all done cruising on a highway. We know that cos if that's not the case the oil would have turned into tar by the time we reach the next service. So surely they leave some tolerance for idling and 1st gear stop and go runs in traffic. But like you said we might encounter this a lot more often and the oil might need changing sooner. Still unless your oil has gotten really thick by the next service I don't see why you should do services sooner.

In my case I'm told the oil is good for 18k kms but I change it at 15k anyway and it still looks ok when it comes out.