• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Distilled Water For Diys

Rumesh88

I searched the forum for a discussion on distilled water - or as some would like to refer de-ionized water - but to my surprise could not find one. Water for an ICE is equally important as all other fluids that goes into the vehicle. We are supposed to use distilled water both in our batteries (leave the maintenance-free ones) and in radiators, and simply buy the stuff over the counter assuming you get inside what the label says outside and pour it in. IMO we usually take the quality of water(both drinking and distilled for that matter) for granted. But we all know if you use tap water or well water to fill up your battery you would not enjoy its full lifespan and same goes for your radiator too (and not forgetting what would happen to ur life span if you drink contaminated water). How do we know the bottled distilled water that we buy over the counter is of the expected quality? As for the drinking water you can at least taste it (and end up being the Guinea pig) and decide for yourself if it is acceptable or not, but we cannot do the same with the stuff that is meant to go into your radiator and the battery. I may sound like bit of a perfectionist but my past experience with banks and banks of stationary batteries which were to last 15 years compels me to do so.

Now, can someone recommend or comment on a brand or a place to buy genuine distilled or de-ionized water in Colombo?

Edited by Rumesh88

i tried using reputed brand, like exide or laughs.....

And you can always check the quality by checking the electrical conductivity through water. If it conducts electricity , it has ions in it....

Also, you can make your own by turning steam back into water using a condenser.the same technique is used buy the illicit alcohol makers.

Thanks Chan5. For my private car I use Ex*ide and Br*wns facility to fill up and original coolant in radiator. But this is mainly for a second car needing coolant replacement and topping up of battery from time to time. As you suggested I will try La*ghs for DI water. I don't think Br*wns is selling Di water or do they? Of course you can measure conductivity but needs a test set up. In fact when I referred to my past experience that includes operating a distillation plant round the clock to produce DI water using a standard wall mounted unit made in the UK. I remember getting an special permission to import the unit because of the possibility of using it for other purpose you mentioned.

Rumesh,

Distilled water what is available in plastic bottles are not correct Distilled water.

There was some time back I can remember; their name was Hevavitharana industries at jethawanarama road. But it is not there any more.

Almost all battery manufactories had their own plants in SL. I do not know they buy out side or still they distill the water.

As your post says I use ready mixed coolant for radiator. Battery I use Browns servise facility for toping up the battery.

To make distilled water costs nothing if you use solar heat to distill water. Link below and also. There are number of DIY cheap solar Distilling methods on the web.

http://sunfrost.com/blog/2011/02/producing-distilled-water-for-batteries/

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I searched the forum for a discussion on distilled water - or as some would like to refer de-ionized water - but to my surprise could not find one. Water for an ICE is equally important as all other fluids that goes into the vehicle. We are supposed to use distilled water both in our batteries (leave the maintenance-free ones) and in radiators, and simply buy the stuff over the counter assuming you get inside what the label says outside and pour it in. IMO we usually take the quality of water(both drinking and distilled for that matter) for granted. But we all know if you use tap water or well water to fill up your battery you would not enjoy its full lifespan and same goes for your radiator too (and not forgetting what would happen to ur life span if you drink contaminated water). How do we know the bottled distilled water that we buy over the counter is of the expected quality? As for the drinking water you can at least taste it (and end up being the Guinea pig) and decide for yourself if it is acceptable or not, but we cannot do the same with the stuff that is meant to go into your radiator and the battery. I may sound like bit of a perfectionist but my past experience with banks and banks of stationary batteries which were to last 15 years compels me to do so.

Now, can someone recommend or comment on a brand or a place to buy genuine distilled or de-ionized water in Colombo?

Of course you can...nothing wrong in drinking distilled water now is there? Drink and be merry !! Just don't drink and drive, unless of course you were actually just drinking distilled water.... :D

Rumesh,

Distilled water what is available in plastic bottles are not correct Distilled water.

To make distilled water costs nothing if you use solar heat to distill water. Link below and also. There are number of DIY cheap solar Distilling methods on the web.

http://sunfrost.com/blog/2011/02/producing-distilled-water-for-batteries/

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thank you very much Sylvi for the feedback. When I said "distilled water" in my OP I meant both distillation using the evaporation process that you referred to, and the de-ionization process by a combination of filtration and reverse osmosis. Both the terms are used interchangeably for the same stuff for once you distill the water it gets de-ionized anyway. You too seem to endorse my view that the stuff available over the counter may not be what we expect. I never thought distillation using solar energy could be simple enough for a DIY to try out. Thank you again for the eye opener.

Kawaz - If I give you a couple of DI water bottles, would you volunteer to do the test your way?

Edited by Rumesh88

Thank you very much Sylvi for the feedback. When I said "distilled water" in my OP I meant both distillation using the evaporation process that you referred to, and the de-ionization process by a combination of filtration and reverse osmosis. Both the terms are used interchangeably for the same stuff for once you distill the water it gets de-ionized anyway. You too seem to endorse my view that the stuff available over the counter may not be what we expect. I never thought distillation using solar energy could be simple enough for a DIY to try out. Thank you again for the eye opener.

Kawaz - If I give you a couple of DI water bottles, would you volunteer to do the test your way?

Done. I like a little whiskey in my water...how do you take yours? Or am i the only one doing the drinking? ;)

Well. Me too has to refill my battery as the water level is low. But haven't done this before. Can you guys explain how to re fill correctly. (with distilled water)

Do I need to disconnect the battery first? Is there a specific limit to re fill?

Well. Me too has to refill my battery as the water level is low. But haven't done this before. Can you guys explain how to re fill correctly. (with distilled water)

Do I need to disconnect the battery first? Is there a specific limit to re fill?

Open the filler caps and see if the water level is touching the bottom of the filler well. If it is not in any of the cells they need to be refilled. Fill the required cells with distilled water until the water level touches the bottom of the filler well. You don't have to disconnect the battery but it is always advisable (optional) to do the filling just before a good half an hour drive preferably in the day time to give the battery a good charge after filling up. Alternatively you can use an offline charger if you have one. Please keep in mind that it may take several months for the water level to go down by one cm when the level is above the cells. But the moment it reaches the top of the cells the level it begins to go down very rapidly. So it is always important to fill up before the water level gets to this limit.

Kawz - I'm afriad I would hv to disappoint u. I neither drink doctored water nor doctored alcohol.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

Open the filler caps and see if the water level is touching the bottom of the filler well. If it is not in any of the cells they need to be refilled. Fill the required cells with distilled water until the water level touches the bottom of the filler well. You don't have to disconnect the battery but it is always advisable (optional) to do the filling just before a good half an hour drive preferably in the day time to give the battery a good charge after filling up. Alternatively you can use an offline charger if you have one. Please keep in mind that it may take several months for the water level to go down by one cm when the level is above the cells. But the moment it reaches the top of the cells the level it begins to go down very rapidly. So it is always important to fill up before the water level gets to this limit.

Kawz - I'm afriad I would hv to disappoint u. I neither drink doctored water nor doctored alcohol.

Thanks a lot Rumesh !! Much appreciated.

Of course you can...nothing wrong in drinking distilled water now is there? Drink and be merry !! Just don't drink and drive, unless of course you were actually just drinking distilled water.... :D

Funny.

But just in case you were not joking, no you cannot, or rather shouldn't. Drinking distilled water (the real "Distilled" water that is)can be harmful to your health. Sounds strange I know - Google and see why.

• Like 1

Ah! Too bad. No worries, more for me then...

Funny.

But just in case you were not joking, no you cannot, or rather shouldn't. Drinking distilled water (the real "Distilled" water that is)can be harmful to your health. Sounds strange I know - Google and see why.

It wasn't all in jest: Deionized water isn't always safe (it is if purified first, then deionized or vice versa) but distilled water made in sanitized equipment is actually okay to drink.

In many parts of the world people do drink distilled water; as they don't have access to good drinking water / or because the water has a lot of dissolved organic or inorganic contaminants that are tough to filter out. Its sold in 4 gallon jugs at grocery stores and the like...there is some thought that the lack of minerals in the water can be detrimental; but in my opinion its perfectly okay for someone eating a balanced diet in a part of the world where the drinking water is generally unsafe, to drink distilled water.

If this is not in keeping with what you know; then please do post up some links supporting your opinion, so err... I know what to put in my whiskey!

Edited by Kavvz

It wasn't all in jest: Deionized water isn't always safe (it is if purified first, then deionized or vice versa) but distilled water made in sanitized equipment is actually okay to drink.

In many parts of the world people do drink distilled water; as they don't have access to good drinking water / or because the water has a lot of dissolved organic or inorganic contaminants that are tough to filter out. Its sold in 4 gallon jugs at grocery stores and the like...there is some thought that the lack of minerals in the water can be detrimental; but in my opinion its perfectly okay for someone eating a balanced diet in a part of the world where the drinking water is generally unsafe, to drink distilled water.

If this is not in keeping with what you know; then please do post up some links supporting your opinion, so err... I know what to put in my whiskey!

agree but most of bottled distilled drinking water is actually distilled and mineralized water, as pure distilled water has no taste and feels weird if not awful.

There is a lot of debate spanning a few decades on medical pros and cons of drinking (pure) distilled water - you will find thousands on the net.

As for what to put in whiskey, if I had the luxury I also will go for rocks made of distilled water, as I prefer my booze unmolested. But for the time being it's good old Schweppes I guess. Now you've made me wanting to go home and take care of that 'kotaya' tonight. Cheers!

Edited by HardHat

Members,

This topic had shifted to drinking water I think it is better to DIY a sample of Solar Distillation and give the forum results.

As we have enough drinking water supplies in SL at present we should focus on getting good Distilled water for Automobile requirements’

To DIY distilled water for battery and Radiator requirements’ of motorist’s benefit.

I want to start this as early as possible.

I did large sugar project in SL from the inception in 1980s of sugar factory in Sevanagala. Therefore I have plenty of experience of distilling alcohol but not high temperatures Centigrade 100. What we want for distilling water.

Post the results early with the cost.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Members,

This topic had shifted to drinking water I think it is better to DIY a sample of Solar Distillation and give the forum results.

As we have enough drinking water supplies in SL at present we should focus on getting good Distilled water for Automobile requirements’

To DIY distilled water for battery and Radiator requirements’ of motorist’s benefit.

I want to start this as early as possible.

I did large sugar project in SL from the inception in 1980s of sugar factory in Sevanagala. Therefore I have plenty of experience of distilling alcohol but not high temperatures Centigrade 100. What we want for distilling water.

Post the results early with the cost.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,

I'm actually really interested in solar water distillation, for my own (somewhat selfish) needs. Care to elaborate on how its done or on how you propose to do it? Do you plan on using something similar to a Eliodomestico Solar Water distiller as depicted in this linked article? They say it would cost about USD$ 50, which is only about Rs. 6500, what are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Kavvz

Kavvz

Eliodomestico Solar Water distiller as depicted is this linked article

Top link. Difficult to understand correctly.

I will do with the largest pressure cooker what I have first.

Saw dust heating. Then go on for solar distilling.

Will inform the results In few days first the home pressure cooker trial.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Kavvz

Eliodomestico Solar Water distiller as depicted is this linked article

Top link. Difficult to understand correctly.

I will do with the largest pressure cooker what I have first.

Saw dust heating. Then go on for solar distilling.

Will inform the results In few days first the home pressure cooker trial.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Try the video:

http://vimeo.com/47238447

Edited by Kavvz

• 7 years later...