• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Dies After Sudden Deceleration

Gummybr

Question

I came across this weird situation today which I did have a bit past experience with.

On my way to work in the morning I overtook a few cars and bikes (going slowly) on a stretch of road and had to slow down after a few meters as there was a junction coming up and there was a bit of traffic. I was on the third gear and the car pulled to about 4000rpm, problem was when I slowed down and came to standstill at the junction my engine had died without giving any indication. A turn of the key and it was back on again. What do you guys think is the issue? Prior to this I had the same problem but it went away when I cleaned the plug chambers and put in new plugs.

Been having a few problems for the past week where when the engine temperature goes to the quarter point the car seems to misfire when you let the engine slow down giving it a boxer engine sound. But if I let off the gas it will settle down again. I'm wondering whether both these incidents are related.

I have checked on water being in the plug chambers as well as the aircleaner which is new. I've got new plugs and both plug wires and ignition coils are in good order. There is no check engine light or anything coming up.

9 answers to this question

Did the engine die down when you tried to accelerate ? Do you hear an unusual pinging noise when you try to accelerate fast in low gear?

Nope it died when the car came to a standstill. And no noises when accelerating on low gears, just at times it gives the missing sound not always though.

From a cold engine does the engine die out when it is just idling and gets heated up ? Does it idle rough as well ?

It doesn't idle rough when cold, its just when the temperature goes 1/4 th up that it plays sudden tricks, but again not all the time. But if the temperature is at the normal level it doesn't skip a beat.

Engine dies only after a sudden acceleration and slow down.

I suspected the Airflow sensor, but it seems alright. Anyway I will have to put an appointment with my garage guy to plug in his computer and see because the fellow is overloaded these days.

Does the engine seem a bit low on power? It could be the ICV valve as JDNet said, as due to carbon build up and old age, they tend to stick a bit and the operation not so fluent as they once were, so that might be the culprit.

If there is a power loss, then a vacuum leak might be the culprit, though you might be able to figure it out by listening (there is usually a audible hissing noise)

There is no drop in performance or power, and I dont think there is any vacuum leak as well because the engine is running very smoothly. Thanks for the help guys.

Maybe the sensors are going haywire. The engines done north of 250,000kms out of which about 100,000 is with hard abuse.

Took the car to my mechanic today and plugged it to the computer and there were no faults so he did a full throttle body clean up and it looks as if its done the trick. Pick up has also increased and it pulls at 1000rpm on all 5 gears and no indication of any miss or trouble running the engine.