• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sign in to follow this  
Damith87

Gov Taxes On Import Card/ Suv

Question

Hi all see this is valuable tread. I have a question, does anyone know how much is the custom calculation & how does it depend on the vehicle type ?

I mean tax amount differce on Prius / Allion. Does anyone know how much is it for SUVs & Cars etc ?

7 answers to this question

Search the forum! Somebody was kind to put the entire explanation not so long ago!

Hi Don, I tired searching but couldn't find exactly. Can u be kind enough to post the link if possible.

The formula is there. Though the tax amounts of changed the formula remains the same.

http://forum.autolanka.com/topic/9237-importing-car/page-4?hl=%2Bimport+%2Btax+%2Bcalculation#entry149561

Also it is the right thread to ask this question, but before doing so read through the thread as it's probably got the answers you need already.

The problem is, it's difficult to keep track because the rate and application of certain duties and taxes keep changing rapidly and without warning. The spreadsheet available on the customs site is as vague as it can get.

I've looked into this a couple of months back, you will need a quotation from the local dealer for that brand certifying the CIF value of the vehicle brand new. Then ta CIF is depreciated at a rate specified by customs based on how old the vehicle is.Any value on accessories slapped on will be added. The applicable tax rates/duties are dependent on the engine capacity of the vehicle. The government relaxes some duties at times and enforce new ones at other times so I'm sorry I can't be specific as to which is operational now.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem is, it's difficult to keep track because the rate and application of certain duties and taxes keep changing rapidly and without warning. The spreadsheet available on the customs site is as vague as it can get.

I've looked into this a couple of months back, you will need a quotation from the local dealer for that brand certifying the CIF value of the vehicle brand new. Then ta CIF is depreciated at a rate specified by customs based on how old the vehicle is.Any value on accessories slapped on will be added. The applicable tax rates/duties are dependent on the engine capacity of the vehicle. The government relaxes some duties at times and enforce new ones at other times so I'm sorry I can't be specific as to which is operational now.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. If you need to calculate the duty for a particular vehicle you can purchase Customs Tariff CD (around Rs. 2,000.00 when I bought it years back) from Times Building and then update the contents with all Gazette notifications on Revenue Protection Orders since the CD was last edited. This is easily said than done. I did this exercise for couple of years but not for vehicles. Then you have to decide on the correct HS code for the particular vehicle, refer to Customs tariff table and use the formula to calculate. AFAIK so called accessories or options in some models could be standard in another and if so the CIF price for the standard model includes the options. In this case they cannot be slapped on additionally.

Edited by Rumesh88