• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lanka Classic Car Thread

Dinukap4

Thanks Sampath!

More pics!

The wipers actually are operated through 2 motors so they can be stopped at any arrangement!. Originally the driver side wiper was operated with a vacuum unit and the passenger side was hand operated with a lever.

post-55509-0-28951800-1362029876_thumb.j

post-55509-0-34627300-1362029910_thumb.j

post-55509-0-45722500-1362029924_thumb.j

post-55509-0-02309600-1362029948_thumb.j

post-55509-0-36699900-1362030180_thumb.j

post-55509-0-51486000-1362030237_thumb.j

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 2

Thanks Sampath!

More pics!

The wipers actually are operated through 2 motors so they can be stopped at any arrangement!. Originally the driver side wiper was operated with a vacuum unit and the passenger side was hand operated with a lever.

Nice! Was it restored by you?

Edited by Davy

Thanks Sampath!

More pics!

Wow that's a clean Jeep...Looks like you put some hours into it!

Thanks guys for the appreciation.

I got this jeep in 1985 for Rs.12,500/- soon after my O/Ls. At that time it was just another rust bucket of a jeep on the road, but in running condition. The engine was perfect (even to this day it remains that) but the transmission had quite a few issues after the abuse it had gone through in govt use ( Wildlife Dept) and even the body had quite some corrosion. Transmission hums oil leaking from all the seals that one can think of (except the engine). Got it going for the cycle parades and big matches.

Now after 28 years, from "just another rust bucket of a jeep on the road" it has gone onto become a "classic one of a kind", with hardly anyother original petrol CJ5s around on our roads! This is more than a jeep to me. It's my school time buddy even known to many of my friends who shared the fun we had in it during those years in school. I went for my license in it, it was there with me on the day I married, and now my son too is taking to it. So I guess it will remain within the family for many more years.

Best car history I've heard! Good job man!

I got this jeep in 1985 for Rs.12,500/- soon after my O/Ls. At that time it was just another rust bucket of a jeep on the road, but in running condition. The engine was perfect (even to this day it remains that) but the transmission had quite a few issues after the abuse it had gone through in govt use ( Wildlife Dept) and even the body had quite some corrosion. Transmission hums oil leaking from all the seals that one can think of (except the engine). Got it going for the cycle parades and big matches.

Now after 28 years, from "just another rust bucket of a jeep on the road" it has gone onto become a "classic one of a kind", with hardly anyother original petrol CJ5s around on our roads! This is more than a jeep to me. It's my school time buddy even known to many of my friends who shared the fun we had in it during those years in school. I went for my license in it, it was there with me on the day I married, and now my son too is taking to it. So I guess it will remain within the family for many more years.

Some so called "rust buckets" are actually gems that need some heavy polishing. Without it they look like any other ordinary rock. It's up to the owner to decide whether it's worth the time, the money and the effort. I see you've made the correct decision.

Thumbs up and well done! :grinning-smiley-003:

CJ5 , Once again thumbs up !!!

I suggest you to open an "imageshack" account and upload your great photos here, otherwise they will disappear later when you delete them to post new photos.

I am sure our DIY Guru Davy will help you, if need any help. (Davy helped me for same matter with some diagrams made by him. Great). If I have those instructions I will forward you.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Wow, you've taken care of this as long as I have been alive! Great to hear that it's being passed down in to the next generation for it to be appreciated in many years to come!

Much respect for you!

Well done CJ5 its great to know the history

it would be a nice thing if we can see some of the old pics of the jeep when you got it and along the years taken in trips etc or pics of it getting repaired etc.

have u done many long trips on it and if so where and where?

how does it perform on upcountry roads if you had taken it?

Wow, that is hands down the best car owner story i've yet seen on AL! Its properly heartwarming to hear man. The Jeep looks fantastic now, congratulations on doing such a fantastic job getting it up to spec and hope you have many more years of adventures and stories with it!

Best car history I've heard! Good job man!
Yeah, for me too it is one of the best car histories ever heard. Good Luck CJ5. Appreciate . :action-smiley-033:
Wow, you've taken care of this as long as I have been alive! Great to hear that it's being passed down in to the next generation for it to be appreciated in many years to come!

Much respect for you!

Thank you so much guys for all those compliments which I value so much. Words cannot express my appreciation.

Some so called "rust buckets" are actually gems that need some heavy polishing. Without it they look like any other ordinary rock. It's up to the owner to decide whether it's worth the time, the money and the effort. I see you've made the correct decision.

Thumbs up and well done! :grinning-smiley-003:

Thanks Davy,

I totally agree with you.

BTW

I hope you can guide me through to set up an account for "imageshack" as suggested by Sampath.

CJ5 , Once again thumbs up !!!

I suggest you to open an "imageshack" account and upload your great photos here, otherwise they will disappear later when you delete them to post new photos.

I am sure our DIY Guru Davy will help you, if need any help. (Davy helped me for same matter with some diagrams made by him. Great). If I have those instructions I will forward you.

Thanks Sampath, I would love to open an "imageshack" account and do as suggested by you. I would have to rely on Davy for guidance though!

Well done CJ5 its great to know the history

it would be a nice thing if we can see some of the old pics of the jeep when you got it and along the years taken in trips etc or pics of it getting repaired etc.

have u done many long trips on it and if so where and where?

how does it perform on upcountry roads if you had taken it?

Actually I too miss not having old photos except for a very few taken off the conventional cameras. Back then in the 80s and 90s cameras were not found in abundance as they are found today and there were no phone cameras or digital cameras to be able to be snappy on the go. The only camera I had was a lenseless Kodak E100 110 cartridge camera ( sort of pinhole camera!!) where the pictures were anything but clear! I also had a very tight budget and photography was not a priority.Developing and processing photographs was a procedure in itself and cost a lot too.

Anyway in 1985 the jeep was nothing unique ( just another 25 year old vehicle as is considered today) and restoration to originality was not at all on my boyish mind. At that time it was all about modifying. At that time what was in vogue was going for matches and cycle parades in a jeep and that was all about it.

Restoring to originality came up about 3-4 years ago when the jeep turned 50 and I had also turned 40!!! With the internet, ebay, jeep websites etc etc being easily accesible it got going.

When I bought it ( actually it was bought for me!!) the jeep had a metallic green. Around 1986 I had it painted black with a red pin stripe and goldpaint border work around the mudguards and side valence gold painted wheels with black insets, a set of Landcruiser BJ series tail lights set on a crash bar in the rear, Subaru 4WD decals in red all around!!.Dressed up for the cycle parades!!!! However no major modifications were done. It remained that way looking very boyish and punky, till it went through a cosmetic transformation about 3 years ago making it look what its today. ( I'll scan an old photo and post).

I have been to Worlds End with some school mates and that's the longest trip I have done in it.

Performance on upcountry roads is a breeze. I have done many trips to Hatton and It pulls up Ginigathhena on the third ( has only three forward gears) and on Radella It went up on the 2nd due to the very torquey engine. No heating issues. I have also done a bit of mud plugging and beach trecking just for kicks!!!

I have crossed the Maha Oya at Kotadeniyawa wading in water about 3 feet and water in the footwells. Many many more experiences I may be able to write a book on!!!

Wow, that is hands down the best car owner story i've yet seen on AL! Its properly heartwarming to hear man. The Jeep looks fantastic now, congratulations on doing such a fantastic job getting it up to spec and hope you have many more years of adventures and stories with it!

WOW!!!! A compliment from a Mod!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I should show the thread to the jeep!!!!

Edited by CJ5

Thanks Davy,

I totally agree with you.

BTW

I hope you can guide me through to set up an account for "imageshack" as suggested by Sampath.

I've just sent you a PM on how to upload images into ImageShack and have them displayed on AL. Check your inbox.

WOW!!!! A compliment from a Mod!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I should show the thread to the jeep!!!!

Your Jeep deserves a thread of its own mate. I suggest you go ahead and create one since this is just the thread for classics in general. I'm sure you have many stories(and photos) to share + keep us updated on what's in store for the future.

Here is a photo taken around late '89 early '90. The jeep's not changed unrecognisibly though I have!!!

cj5uswetakeiyawa.jpg

• Like 2

Here are a few more photos prior to the transformation about 3 years ago.cj5restoration1d.jpgcj5restoration1c.jpgcj5restoration1a.jpgcj5restoration1b.jpgm

Originally the spare-wheel was on the side , but then in 1995 I had a re-spray and spruce up done ( new canopy, new seat covers carpets number plates etc) and then shifted the spare to the rear. Now the spare has been relocated to where it belongs as now the target is originality more than cycle parades and big matches!!!!

PS.

Sampath and Davy,

Posting these photos would not have been possible without your help and guidance. Thanks!!

Edited by CJ5
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

From Divaina

කැලණිය විශ්වවිද්‍යාලය ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ පැරැණි රථවාහන පිළිබඳ සමීක්‍ෂණයක්‌ අරඹයි

සචිත්‍ර ඇල්වලගේ

කැලණිය විශ්වවිද්‍යාලයේ පුරාවිද්‍යා අධ්‍යයන අංශය විසින් පැරැණි රථ වාහන පිළිබඳ සමීක්‍ෂණයක්‌ ආරම්භ කොට ඇත.

මෙහි අරමුණ ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ කාර්මික උරුමය වාර්තාගත කිරීම සහ ඒවා රැක ගැනීම බව ඒ පිළිබඳව "දිවයින"ට අදහස්‌ දැක්‌වූ කැලණිය විශ්වවිද්‍යාලයේ මාධ්‍ය ඒකකයේ අධ්‍යක්‍ෂ මහාචාර්ය මාපා තිලකරත්න මහතා පැවසීය.

බ්‍රිතාන්‍ය යටත් විජිත යුගයේ සිට ශ්‍රී ලංකාවට ගෙන්වූ විවිධ මාදිලියේ මෝටර් රථ මෙරට සෑම ප්‍රදේශයකම ශේෂව පවතින බවත් එවැනි රථවාහන තමන් සතුව තිබේ නම් හෝ එවැනි රථවාහනවල තොරතුරු තිබේ නම් ජාතික යුතුකමක්‌ ලෙස සලකා දැනුම් දෙන මෙන් කැලණිය විශ්වවිද්‍යාලයේ පුරාවිද්‍යා අධ්‍යයන අංශය ජනතාවගෙන් ඉල්ලා සිටිති.

ඒ පිළිබඳ තොරතුරු මහාචාර්ය මාලිංග අමරසිංහ, අංශ ප්‍රධානී, පුරාවිද්‍යා අධ්‍යයන අංශය, කැලණිය විශ්වවිද්‍යාල යන ලිපිනයට හෝ [email protected] ඊමේල් ලිපිනයට ලැබීමට සැලසිය යුතු වේ. වැඩිදුර තොරතුරු දුරකථන අංක 2908779 අංකයට ඇමතීමෙන් ලබාගත හැක.

http://www.divaina.com/2013/07/11/news31.html

[email protected] ඊමේල් ලිපිනයට ලැබීමට සැලසිය යුතු වේ. වැඩිදුර තොරතුරු දුරකථන අංක 2908779 අංකයට ඇමතීමෙන් ලබාගත හැක.

http://www.divaina.com/2013/07/11/news31.html

Is it only me who smells something fishy here. Its a treasure hunt in one way, Isn't it. And giving a private email to send details of such cars... ????

I'm sure true enthusiasts in Sri lanka doing better job in preserving those old gems and hunting them down to bring them back to life.

note: Not trying to be negative on this initiative, but we hardly see genuine effort if Gov officials involved in these things, without financial gain.

Is it only me who smells something fishy here. Its a treasure hunt in one way, Isn't it. And giving a private email to send details of such cars... ????

I'm sure true enthusiasts in Sri lanka doing better job in preserving those old gems and hunting them down to bring them back to life.

note: Not trying to be negative on this initiative, but we hardly see genuine effort if Gov officials involved in these things, without financial gain.

Couldn't agree more. A perfect example is that 1 Sri 1 car shared couple of days ago.