• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bettery Problem

Ruwan G

Question

Hi everyone,

I have a toyota LXH43 regiuos van wich i rarely use. It has a Amoron seal type maintenance free battery. I think the battery is now about 4-5 years old. It seems the battery is dead now, I felt the battery is week from few months time and the battery charge indicator is also black indicating it should be recharged. I dont use this vehical mush frequently but on weekends i start the van and drive for several km's or keep the engin running for about 30mins.

I ve read some post in this forum regarding battery problems and heard that once a maintenence free battrey is drained it s difficult to recharge it. and in some threads i ve read about keeping a small charger.

My problem is

* Can I recharge the amoron maintanence free battery? (I think the battery is fully out since even the remote locks aern't working )

* If so is it possible to do it at home using a small charger? (there s a small charger at my house but haven't used for years .It is a 6 amp charger with options to select Hi/Low and 6v / 12v )

* Or should i need to go for a new battery?

* I've read about a trickle charger in this forum. How much is it costs?

Please help with ur kind advises...

Edited by Ruwan G

13 answers to this question

If it is 4-5 year old the time is up for your battery I'm afraid. It will not be possible to bring it back to life by recharging. Still when you go for your next battery please keep in mind that you must have a trickle charger. Please search the forum. I have seen forum member Mr. Sylvi has responded to requests for trickle chargers.

Ruwan G,

If your battery is more than 4 years old it is better to go for a new Battery.

Take the battery to a battery service station and give a recharge for few days.

Try that first come back with your results, write to the forum.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks for the advises, I too feel its best to go for a new one.

I tried to jump start with a cable, didnt work. so i swaped the smaller battery of my townace and just manage to start the LXH43. Then I replaced the old amoron battery in to the LXH43 kept the vehical on start for an about 45mins. even after that there was not enough charge in the battery to even turn on the CD player, It seems battery is totally drained.

Thanks for the advises, I too feel its best to go for a new one.

I tried to jump start with a cable, didnt work. so i swaped the smaller battery of my townace and just manage to start the LXH43. Then I replaced the old amoron battery in to the LXH43 kept the vehical on start for an about 45mins. even after that there was not enough charge in the battery to even turn on the CD player, It seems battery is totally drained.

Ruwan G,

Do your dash board lights work when you switch on by the starting key.

As I told in my previous post try a slow recharge,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Maintenance free batteries (VRLA) would not respond positively to a recharge once deeply discharged or left under-charged over a long period compared to normal batteries (freely ventilated). (correct terminology for each type in brackets). Moreover, VRLAs are less tolerant to over charging and operating in higher temperatures compared to freely ventilated type. This is due to the fact that the hydrogen and oxygen recombination process is not 100% efficient thus resulting in a water loss over a period of time. Still some prefer the use of VRLAs because of the convenience of having to do away with refilling water regularly.

However, please have your charging system checked after installing a new battery. Switch on all the electrical loads in the vehicle and rev up to 2000 RPM and check the battery voltage at the battery terminals. It should be around 13.8 to 14 volts.

Maintenance free batteries (VRLA) would not respond positively to a recharge once deeply discharged or left under-charged over a long period compared to normal batteries (freely ventilated). (correct terminology for each type in brackets). Moreover, VRLAs are less tolerant to over charging and operating in higher temperatures compared to freely ventilated type. This is due to the fact that the hydrogen and oxygen recombination process is not 100% efficient thus resulting in a water loss over a period of time. Still some prefer the use of VRLAs because of the convenience of having to do away with refilling water regularly.

However, please have your charging system checked after installing a new battery. Switch on all the electrical loads in the vehicle and rev up to 2000 RPM and check the battery voltage at the battery terminals. It should be around 13.8 to 14 volts.

Thank you Mr Rumesh for the info

Hi guys,

Anyone know about this Battery Charger? I have a big problem with my Car Battery. When my car is idle for more than 2 days my battery is going down. I found this Battery Charger but want to know more before purchase.

Edited by Iroshw

Iroshw,

What is the make of your battery,how old is your car battery, how many kilometers for a day you do?

Get a electrician to check your wiring system and the alternator charging. Check all earth cables from the battery.

Regarding the charger.I have posted a reply to your early post.(battery charge)

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi,

It is an exide Battery (45ma) and 2 1/4 years old. There was an issue with the Alternator (overcharging) and I fixed it recently. I use my car 1-2 times per week (all other days are idle). I think the time for me to go for a new battery. But also I think it is always better to have a Charger.

I purchased this charger yesterday and charged my battery last evening. It worked :). My battery charged fully. But the only problem was, it says the LED is Red when charging, but in my charger it works other way (Green when charging). But it is ok. And it is really small. It is selling by a guy living in Pannipitiya (near Kalalgoda). I checked my Battery Voltage using a Tester and it shows 13V (I don't know why it shows 13V instead of 12V, pls advise).

Regards,

Irosh

Regards,

Irosh

I checked my Battery Voltage using a Tester and it shows 13V (I don't know why it shows 13V instead of 12V, pls advise).

I think it is normal, always in my car it shows 12.7V or 12.8(keep stand still for few days) , if i try to measure it once the i have returned from a few kms drive and just after the engine switched off then it shows 13v.

Hi Sylvi,

It is an exide Battery (45ma) and 2 1/4 years old. There was an issue with the Alternator (overcharging) and I fixed it recently. I use my car 1-2 times per week (all other days are idle). I think the time for me to go for a new battery. But also I think it is always better to have a Charger.

I purchased this charger yesterday and charged my battery last evening. It worked :). My battery charged fully. But the only problem was, it says the LED is Red when charging, but in my charger it works other way (Green when charging). But it is ok. And it is really small. It is selling by a guy living in Pannipitiya (near Kalalgoda). I checked my Battery Voltage using a Tester and it shows 13V (I don't know why it shows 13V instead of 12V, pls advise).

Regards,

Irosh

Regards,

Irosh

Voltage of a charged lead-acid cell is normally 2.1 volts. 2.1x 6 cells = 12.6V. Now if you checked the voltage right after fully charging the battery it will be higher than 12.6V. It takes a bit of time to drop to nominal voltage.

Hi Sylvi,

Regards,

Irosh

Regards,

Irosh

Irosh,

Normally used battery all cells are not equal, specially your overcharged battery can vary the cell voltage.

Therefore do not worry the voltage check the Specific Gravity level by using a Hydrometer, that is very important.

Do not worry of the color of the LED. Check with the person who sold same to you. Is it electronically controlled?

Have a very small DC 5 Amp meter.You can buy from 1st Cross Street Pettah for under Rupees 500.00.

Connect same in series then will show the battery charging rate.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.