• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil Change At Mitsubishi Service.

sachinwick

Hi all,

I just had my L200 double cab serviced at Un*t*d motors, hyde park at the mileage of 35000km.

They had changed the engine oil and billed me for sae30(used for petrol engines) but when i checked the oil it was all black without even running.according to the service guy its black because the engine has run a few minutes.

Do the engine oil get blackened just as the engine is run for a such a short time?? Or are the service guys cheating on oil?

also they had changed the oil filter which is due to be changed at 40k, mistakenly,. And had thrown the old one to the dustbin so i had to pay for the new one

Yes when you change oil on a Diesel the oil turns black almost immediately. There is nothing to worry about there. Well you should change the oil filter too at the same time as the oil change. There is no point in changing oil if your going to run the oil through the same dirty filter. So everytime you change the oil also ask them to change the filter.

• Like 1

I would change oil and filter at every service. The oil turns black as there is a lot of the old oil still inside teh filter and the moment the engine cranks this contaminates the new oil.

It's what I refer to as being Penny Wise, Pound Foolish.

• Like 5

I would change oil and filter at every service. The oil turns black as there is a lot of the old oil still inside teh filter and the moment the engine cranks this contaminates the new oil.

It's what I refer to as being Penny Wise, Pound Foolish.

Ditto, I don't run a diesel, but I change the oil filter at every service as well. No point skimping on the filter as the benefits outweigh the cost in the long run...

Edited by Kavvz

Actually the users manual of the 4D56 you are using will say change oil at 5000km and filter at 10000km for normal use and 3000km and 6000km respectively for hard use,

Well as this is a Mitsubishi hard use refers to hard core off roading, river crossings cliff climbing ect..,

So I don't think that we would have to stick to the sever usage regimes as in a 520d or something like that.

Well We've been running for around 180k in the company method and no issues yet :)

Edited by Clark's son
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I just had my L200 double cab serviced at Un*t*d motors, hyde park at the mileage of 35000km.

They had changed the engine oil and billed me for sae30(used for petrol engines) but when i checked the oil it was all black without even running.according to the service guy its black because the engine has run a few minutes.

Do the engine oil get blackened just as the engine is run for a such a short time?? Or are the service guys cheating on oil?

also they had changed the oil filter which is due to be changed at 40k, mistakenly,. And had thrown the old one to the dustbin so i had to pay for the new one

I would change my filter every time i change oil too. I don't go for very expensive brand with the filter so they don't cost much to replace. It's funny when you think about it, you buy a car for few million Rs and would not spend few hundred to change a filter at every service. I personally change my filter every time with a good quality engine oil and I think it's more important to do so on a Turbo vehicle. I think yours is turbo too.

one more thing you should be worried about, You said they billed you for SAE30 engine oil, that's not what you should be using in yours. You need a Multigraded engine oil either 10W30 or 15W40 depending on whats recommended for yours. Use a Monograde and your engine and the turbo will ware prematurely. Hope it hadn't done too much damage already.

Edited by Fixzit

one more thing you should be worried about, You said they billed you for SAE30 engine oil, that's not what you should be using in yours. You need a Multigraded engine oil either 10W30 or 15W40 depending on whats recommended for yours. Use a Monograde and your engine and the turbo will ware prematurely. Hope it hadn't done too much damage already.

umm what? why would a multigrade oil be important in Sri Lanka and how does not using it cause the premature wear of the turbocharger? stop talking crap.

umm what? why would a multigrade oil be important in Sri Lanka and how does not using it cause the premature wear of the turbocharger? stop talking crap.

Looks like another google/textbook mechanic is in action here.

I do agree with Jdnet and crosswind that our temp range in SL is not so variant like many of the other countries and we do not have a Winter to go with the "W" of a multigrade, if you don't live in Nuwaraeliya or somewhere up country more likely the range would be somewhere between 21-35 degrees all year around, but a multigrade oil has much better flow at cold starts than a monograde, and it will lubricate the engine and the turbo faster at start than a monograde. I have heard that there is a considerable amount of engine and turbo ware at start-up due to lack of lubrication until the engine oil is pumped through out the engine. Any thing which makes the oil run faster, I'd go with it. Also when compared, a multigrade oil will be thicker at high temps than a monograde because it's viscosity properties are artificially modified providing better lubrication. My user manual suggest that I'd use 10W-30 or 15W40 for the temp range we have in SL and I would stick to it. I had a diesel van and I always used 15W40 on it. After a bit more than 300,000Kms my engine got sized thanks to a careless friend and a leaking water pump, once i had a look inside the engine, i was surprised how good the condition of the internal parts were, that engine could have done another 100,000kms easily. I believe i owe a fair bit of credit to the engine oil that i was using because i only changed oil every 5000kms. I could be wrong, but I'd stick to the user manual and my experience. I'm sure most guys here are more experienced than me, so my advise, do some research, talk to qualified mechanics and make your own choice. Thanks for your input guys. Cheers!!!

Edited by Fixzit
  • Like 1

Hi All,

What you guys think about running your engines at 100Km/hr for 100 km in highway without your OIL CAP ?.. Cus a service station so called them selves professionals n boasting thy doin it for 12yrs did that for my HONDA FIT .... The place is called P/yaS@n& Service n clean park located in Labudoowa , Karapitiya...Galle .The buggers had their all service bays on CCTV but when i asked for a review .,guess what they did..... they had changed all dates n scrambled every recordings n said it it impossible to play back it now....Those who love their rides should never ever step in their place for services. :angry-smiley-044:

post-21283-0-61497300-1358941361_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Fuel filter frequency varies according to the fuel quality that you are using.. I'm not sure what the manufacturer recommend but i personally check for water every service and change it once every 3 services..never had any issues so far..

Fuel filter frequency varies according to the fuel quality that you are using.. I'm not sure what the manufacturer recommend but i personally check for water every service and change it once every 3 services..never had any issues so far..

thanks Fixzit :)