• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Drive Car Economically

Nimz77

Im nt an expert.. this is my personal experience. Since ur car is a manual transmission...

• Shift gears around 2000rpm.
  • Try maintain constant speed every time possible.
  • Don't go for sudden acceleration.
  • Drive in a manner not to use breaks excessively..
  • Turn on air recirculation in AC control panel.
  • Check tire pressure occasionally.
  • Check break occasionally.

Normally i get mileage of 14.5 km/ltr for long trips from my car fb14, Petrol, manual gear..

• Like 2

I'm also no expert. Just the basics... Learn to drive smoothly, avoid unnecessary acceleration/deceleration, right gear for the speed, listen to the road and engine feedback rather than concentrating on RPM.

sorry,,,what i mention here as a experts mean ...who can explain ....advise....because some of are trying make this topic as a joke...

Edited by Nimz77

Im nt an expert.. this is my personal experience. Since ur car is a manual transmission...
  • Shift gears around 2000rpm.
  • Try maintain constant speed every time possible.
  • Don't go for sudden acceleration.
  • Drive in a manner not to use breaks excessively..
  • Turn on air recirculation in AC control panel.
  • Check tire pressure occasionally.
  • Check break occasionally.

Normally i get mileage of 14.5 km/ltr for long trips from my car fb14, Petrol, manual gear..

Thanks

could you please explain about

Fuelly Tip Replace Your PCV Valve

Especially in older cars, your positive crankcase ventilation valve will get dirty and gummed up, which can cause cause excessive fuel usage. Fortunately, the pcv valve is easy to replace and very cheap to buy for almost any car. You can test your old one by taking it off, cleaning it out with some carburetor cleaner, and blowing (or sucking, depending on the end.) If it makes a nice solid seal, then it's still good and can be reused.

Can you explain about mazda PCV Valve ?

The most bang for buck will be to drive in the highest gear available, 5th in your case. Of course, that might mean going rather fast. But hey, it'll keep the guys who want you to stick to the left lane off your back.

BTW, I don't mean start from a standstill on the 5th. Try to get to the 5th by gently accelerating and changing at 2krpm etc, but get there.

how to drive car economically...please advise...

(1500cc,Manual 5 gear with RPM)

First off focus on safety. You don't want to cause accidents!

1. Keep your tires properly inflated

2. Ensure the vehicle is correctly tuned up (an emission test can give an idea). If not get it to a good garage and get stuff like plugs checked etc.

2. remove excess unnecessary weight from vehicle.

3. Accelerate gently, anticipate stops up ahead and slow down.

4. As pericles says, drive on the highest gear you can (e.g.5th) without overloading the engine. It depends on the car and other factors. In my car I can do minimum 45km/h on 5th at 1000rpm without much load but it is different for other cars, in most others you need to be much faster - and obviously if load increases / you have to go uphill then this changes.

Google topics like hypermiling and efficient driving. This is not tot say you should try all the stuff you find but it can give you some ideas.

Hope this is useful.

Re RPM:

It depends on engine and load... you want to keep the engine as low RPM as possible, WITHOUT the engine struggling / being overloaded.

For a 1500 cc car, depending on load you may be in the 1000 - 1500 RPM when going downhill / low load on a flat road but anything from 2000 - 3000 RPM climbing hills etc, depending on how fast you accelerate.

It is better to have the engine running at a higher RPM without much strain than it struggling at 1000 RPM with a heavy load. You can check this by occasionally switching to neutral when on load (but be careful). In such situations if the RPM rapidly rises to 3000 - 4000 RPM you are probably overloading engine.

But always focus on the situation on the road and don't inconvenience others on the road.

I am not an expert, this is just stuff I have read... I could be wrong, hopefully some automotive experts can chime in.

Edited by Saturn

could you please explain about

Fuelly Tip Replace Your PCV Valve

Especially in older cars, your positive crankcase ventilation valve will get dirty and gummed up, which can cause cause excessive fuel usage. Fortunately, the pcv valve is easy to replace and very cheap to buy for almost any car. You can test your old one by taking it off, cleaning it out with some carburetor cleaner, and blowing (or sucking, depending on the end.) If it makes a nice solid seal, then it's still good and can be reused.

Can you explain about mazda PCV Valve ?

PCV valve is connected to a hose from air intake (after the throttle door) to the engine cam head cover. In your model it should be a plastic barrel 1cm diameter and around 3.5cm long. You can just pull out the valve from the engine side and can be easily cleaned. But see if all the inside mechanism is intact. Sometimes the small metal screen and the spring falls off and disappear all the way into the oil sump.

I regret that I am unable to recommend a Mazda mechanic.

Edited by Rumesh88

PCV valve is connected to a hose from air intake (after the throttle door) to the engine cam head cover. In your model it should be a plastic barrel 1cm diameter and around 3.5cm long. You can just pull out the valve from the engine side and can be easily cleaned. But see if all the inside mechanism is intact. Sometimes the small metal screen and the spring falls off and disappear all the way into the oil sump.

I regret that I am unable to recommend a Mazda mechanic.

Thanks.....for support.... :)...

Edited by Nimz77

• 6 months later...

I want to ask something regarding "Lock in Torque Converter" thinking that relate to this and hoping this thread is still active.

In the Web it says that mechanism is active Automatic Gearbox while driving at cruising speed to optimally transfer engine power to wheels.

My question, what is this causing speed means?

And most of SL cars not equipped with cruise controller.

But we still drive at constant speed with mild ups and downs without rapid change in RPM. So will that mechanism still comes in to play?

• 3 weeks later...

Cruising speed is a set value in the ECU usually at 60kmph and above. But that is not the only condition for locking the torque converter. The transmission should be in OD, throttle opening at or above a set value and coolant temp above a certain set value (I do not know the values but may depend on the model) for torque converter to lock. (There may be other conditions that I am not aware of so I leave others to comment on this). Lock is immediately released if the break signal comes on or if the speed drops by 10kmph (a set value). Again there may be other additional conditions. So if you are driving within these limits you can keep the torque converter locked and the vehicle at optimum fuel efficiency. But for me, I get the best fuel efficiency when I drive the car as if it had no brakes! :sport-smiley-004: Pedestrians and motorists please beware!!

Edited by Rumesh88