• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mercedes Benz C220Cdi On Permit

zeristo

Question

Guys , my brother has got a $25000 permit and is planning to buy a c class c220cdi diesel car with +$5000 allowance. Totally $30000 worth. I checked the site and it showed a very basic edition c class in the pic.

Could someone here who knows about this permit vehicle tell me is it worth buying ? Are features sufficient ? A rough list of features anyone ? I'm gone abroad and unable to get one directly from dealer. Thanks.

P.S., he's not interested in BMW or Audi - bad resale value.

Image: http://synergyy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-%E2%80%93-USD-30000-for-Permit-Holders.jpg

Google! These are not rare cars!

Anyway, go to the Mercedes Benz UK website, choose the model, and find the Configurator link and then you can find the basic options for a the model that you choose.

IMO Audi's are better in every way, less common and have more options as standard compared to a Merc or BMW.

The Merc C offered on the permit is missing a few options found in the duty paid petrol car. The best offer so far is the 520d, but its becoming a common sight on our roads. If you want to go the European route there is the Jaguar XF as well, but then again just like the Audi it will not have the resale value.

But it all depends on what you are after, if your a Merc guy go ahead for it, but if you want more space and exclusivity the Jag and the A6 will do for you.

Just curious here. Why is everyone offering the diesel versions (520d/C220 CDI) for permits? Is it because the permit garandiyas are stingy or are the diesel ones actually cheaper?

I think diesel BMWs are cheaper, i remember watching a Top Gear review where Clarkson said the diesel version is cheaper

Just curious here. Why is everyone offering the diesel versions (520d/C220 CDI) for permits? Is it because the permit garandiyas are stingy or are the diesel ones actually cheaper?

Guess its the mentality of diesel being cheaper to run. They just calculate what you pay per litre and how much it does on a litre and nothing else. Also the diesel duty is high so everyone would be looking at buying diesels. In an actual world the diesels are cheaper around the world, just that in Sri Lanka we pay a higher duty because they want us to bring diesel vehicles solely for the purpose of transport and not for luxury. So petrol being a luxury item means that you pay more as duty on a litre of petrol for the transport sector to get a subsidy. What permits does is it negates that and loose more revenue.

It's the difference in the two prices of the fuels. If diesel was not subsidized by the govt. it would probably be slightly more than petrol as in countries where everything is equal. Added to this diesel vehicles give better mileage so are more attractive.

The diesel variants are faster than the similar engined petrol, due to the turbo and the new common rail diesel engines the bhp value for a 520d and a 520i is the same at 184bhp but the torque is 380 N·m for the 520d and for the 270 N·m for the 520i.

as for manufacturer quoted MPG (UK) is 58.9 mpg for the 520d and 41.5 mpg for the 520i. Due to these reasons the diesel cars are much more popular than petrol ones in Europe.

I think diesel BMWs are cheaper, i remember watching a Top Gear review where Clarkson said the diesel version is cheaper

Petrol is cheaper. The diesel engines are heavier and more rugged. They are not really cheaper to run as Gummybear points out because most common rail diesels need low sulphur diesel and that's super diesel which is pretty close to petrol. Also the better mileage benefits are more obvious in uninterrupted cruising not stop start city traffic.

for the cars which are offered here on permit , the list of options are very less compared the full duty paid cars.

also the diesel cars are supposed to much more fuel efficient. i have heard the 520d's getting about 8-9 where as the petrol will only be about 6.

for the cars which are offered here on permit , the list of options are very less compared the full duty paid cars.

also the diesel cars are supposed to much more fuel efficient. i have heard the 520d's getting about 8-9 where as the petrol will only be about 6.

Fuzzo, you should get more than 8-9 on a 520D even with city traffic. Doesn't the SL versions come with auto stop start?

My bro booked his c220 at D*MO , they have promised to deliver by may 2013. Though it lacks a lot of features, seems to be worth it's price considering its efficiency and resale value as well.

Is the jaguar xf2.2 given for same permit Indian made ? Coz I heard JLR now assembles xf and freelander2 in India.

My bro booked his c220 at D*MO , they have promised to deliver by may 2013. Though it lacks a lot of features, seems to be worth it's price considering its efficiency and resale value as well.

Is the jaguar xf2.2 given for same permit Indian made ? Coz I heard JLR now assembles xf and freelander2 in India.

When it comes to premium marks, it doesn't really matter where it's made to be perfectly honest. Buyers buy them expecting a particular product. Those buyers usually have buying power to buy something else and they are not the type to compromise.

Fuzzo, you should get more than 8-9 on a 520D even with city traffic. Doesn't the SL versions come with auto stop start?

yes it does come with auto stop/start... i haven't heard anything more than 9 actually from the people who use it.

XF comes from england not the indian plant

this might be a different one because the price he told me was way lower....just want to know how does this car fit the $30,000 limit? does it go through a valuation

by the agents in srilanka or the country it's been imported from (in this case the UK)

yes it does come with auto stop/start... i haven't heard anything more than 9 actually from the people who use it.

Yes the 520D does not do anywhere near the MPG figures that BMW quote. In stop start traffic without auto start/stop the real life figures are 25-30mpg (8-10 km/l) and highway/motorway cruising 40-50mpg or a bit more (14-18 km/l). Still quite good for such a big car with such a small engine.

Hi guys,

Need a little help here,

I am trying to bring down a Mercedes C220 Cdi under the exchange earned abroad scheme. (use it for 1 year and bring down, this is not the gift permit which is now discontinued).

With the super-crazy tax structure in SL, I am trying to work out how much I would need to pay in terms of taxes.

Does anybody have any idea of what the agent's CIF value is (approx, I know the exact value can vary based on its spec)

Thank you very much!