• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Motorcycle Maintenance.

Watchman

Well I'm mostly going by what many users on the volty forums and other enthusiast sites have recommended for this particular bike. Apparently it can handle it quite well and cruising is a lot more enjoyable.

I understand there will be less acceleration but that's apparently not too big of a deal, and honestly I'd be glad if the first gear was even a bit more useful. A few people went the whole hog and replaced the rear-sprocket too, but that was a bit overkill according to most.

Well it depends on what you enjoy most on your bike. If casual cruising is your thing, going one down on the front won't cause you any issues. But as most people pointed out earlier, try to get a new chain and rear sprocket to 'even out' the wear and tear.

I'm planning to go one up at the rear sprocket on my VTR. I like the sensation of a more rapid acceleration than the flat out top speed and the engine has quite a bit of torque left untapped.

@Watchman ...off topic, is there a active Motorcycle section here on AL? I'm pretty new to the AL forums and general searches landed me nowhere. Thanks :)

@Watchman ...off topic, is there a active Motorcycle section here on AL? I'm pretty new to the AL forums and general searches landed me nowhere. Thanks :)

Well, there isnt one as far as I know.. And i dont think a separate forum is that vital either, cos there arent many bike threads that come up except for the occasional question... which is why I opened a generic 'motorcycle maintenance' thread rather than a 'sprocket/chain' specific one :)

Well, there isnt one as far as I know.. And i dont think a separate forum is that vital either, cos there arent many bike threads that come up except for the occasional question... which is why I opened a generic 'motorcycle maintenance' thread rather than a 'sprocket/chain' specific one :)

Guess you're right, but i'm sure there are quite a few enthusiasts in SL judging by some top dollar restorations that pop up on facebook every now and then as well as the amount of 'big' bikes running around these days. I interact occasionally on Perthstreebikes and streetfighter forums but it's a bit difficult to relate to them. Would be nice to talk to some SL bike enthusiasts :)

In case you guys ever weigh it up to open up a space, count my vote as aye :)

Aside: people keep telling me the displacement limit has been upped to 400cc for motorbikes now. Any truth in this?

Is that so?

I think there are a few late model CB400 Four's snuk into the country falcified as 250's so this will be good news (if true) for those poor blokes riding around on them and having to line the palms of cops in silver whenever they get pulled over and cop goes "meke engine eka desiya panahata wada wedee wage neda?"

Does anyone know if there are any 1978-80's CB400N Twins still in running condition in SL?

Edited by HardHat

Is that so?

I think there are a few late model CB400 Four's snuk into the country falcified as 250's so this will be good news (if true) for those poor blokes riding around on them and having to line the palms of cops in silver whenever they get pulled over and cop goes "meke engine eka desiya panahata wada wedee wage neda?"

Does anyone know if there are any 1978-80's CB400N Twins still in running condition in SL?

There are a lot of bigger bikes in SL. I've seen plenty of 600s 1000s and even a few Hayabusas. Some of them are registered with the proper capacity but most are registered as 250. For me, they cost more than I can afford to gamble with.

There are quite a few CB400s in SL but finding a 78-80 CB will be a bit difficult. Most of them on the streets are newer ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be the one utilizing this thread to the fullest.. I have another issue..

With time my bike's developed an occasional tic tic sound. Reading stuff online and listening to similar sounds on youtube i've concluded that it's a valve and hence the shims need to be replaces or adjusted. Never done this myself or even sat by someone doing this. Would any DIY type bikers give me some ideas on the complexity of this repair?

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a CBR-250 Fireblade. I'm quite new to biking and this is the 2nd bike I have owned, and the 1st bike which requires proper TLC (my previous bike was a Pulsar). So need a few tips from you guys.

I have read on many CBR forums that the chains need to be cleaned with kerosene and oiled/ lubed regularly. In our Sri Lankan conditions how often should i clean/ oil the chain.

Though I am concerned that the kerosene could harm the O-Rings, the previous owner, and a few mechanics i spoke to said it is ok to use this.

After cleaning the chain, what is the best Chain Lube that I can use which is best suited to our local conditions, and where can I get this? (My mechanic had a look at the chain and sprockets and said they are in good condition.)

Secondly, I want to replace the body kit, it has the original plastic body kit, but there are few cracks on it so I want to replace it (I'm obsessive about keeping my vehicles in brand new condition :S). Any tips on where I can get an original Japanese Body Kit for this n' how much it would cost. My mechanic says the ones on Ebay are not the same quality plastic as the original.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Kerosine is not recommended for O-ring chains. Wash with good old soap water and lube it. If you're looking for a chain lube as long as it's meant for a O-ring chain you should be OK. It's not about how often you oil the chain, but rather if the chain is oiled. If you oiled it and rode through heavy rains the very next day, the chances are that you will need to oil it again.

A fancier alternative is to get a scottoiler. About USD150 but I know a lot of riders who swear by it saying thier chain/sprocket last about 3 times as long as it used to before using a scottoiler. I dont think I wanna dump $150 on it so I'm actually gonna try a DIY version using a 50cc syringe, fish-tank tube and engine oil. Shall update you guys when its done.

I can think of a few few more places to drop 150 (with shipping, upwards of 200??) than on a Scottoiler, but it is an enticing piece of kit.

This is a great thing to flex your DIY skills...I remember thinking about it a while back but gave up cos I couldn't figure out how to stop the drip when the bike is stationary. Otherwise the only issue of a uniform drip is that if you get stuck in traffic, a spot in the chain will accumulate oil and whip around when you get going and make a mess of your wheel, swingarm and your pant leg.

Do let us know if you cook something up cos I'd be very interested to replicate it if it's within my abilities :)

Kerosine is not recommended for O-ring chains. Wash with good old soap water and lube it. If you're looking for a chain lube as long as it's meant for a O-ring chain you should be OK. It's not about how often you oil the chain, but rather if the chain is oiled. If you oiled it and rode through heavy rains the very next day, the chances are that you will need to oil it again.

+1 to above. Yes, Kerosene removes all the lubricants from the chain. I have a close friend who is using a CBR600. Whenever I see his bike the chain is sparkling clean. His uses diesel instead of kerosene to clean the tar residues and oil it with SAE90 (gear) oil. Use a pressure washer to clean the chain with water and soap.

seeing all this chain sprocket issues.............makes me attracted to the scooters in sri lanka.

I was having a chat the other day about a scooter called SYM from thaiwan at the auto exhibition and he told me that scooter sales are really picking up.

Edited by rameez

Wow thanks guys, so my suspicions were correct about the kero. The idea of soap n' water sounds good since we already have a pressure washer handy.

I cleaned and oiled the chain yesterday, but took it to a nearby garage and got them to spray kero on and then once it was clean, lubed it (Got a can of Repsol Lube from Panchi for 800/- for a approx 100ml or 150ml can).

Gear changing became so much more smoother, never expected such a major difference simply by oiling the chain.

• 6 years later...

Guys, I believe this is the only motorcycle related thread in here and appreciate your guidance.

I'm hoping to grab a Rebel 125 from a friend and need to attend to some immediate work prior to hitting the road. I have long term hopes of restoring it but for now I'm keen to attend to following:

1. The self start needs to be sorted and there's no kick start. Current user says it's some solnoid (as I heard - I'm not techy) issue and an easy fix.

2. Few basic electronic work such as Neutral gear indicator light, Turn/Brake indicators etc.

3. A proper tune-up as I feel the petrol flow seems reduced by current user.

All other pending stuff I hope to do one at a time as separate projects.

So do you guys have any reliable mechanics around with clean track record? 

Thanks in advance guys, cheers.

Edited by Croozer
Few typos

33 minutes ago, Croozer said:

Guys, I believe this is the only motorcycle related thread in here and appreciate your guidance.

I'm hoping to grab a Rebel 125 from a friend and need to attend to some immediate work prior to getting the road. I have long term hopes of restoring it but for now I'm keen to attend to following:

1. The self start needs to be sorted and there's no kick start. Current user says it's some solnoid (as I heard - I'm not techy) issue and an easy fix.

2. Few basic electronic work such as Neutral gear indicator light etc.

3. A proper tune-up as I feel the petrol flow seems reduced by current user.

All other pending stuff I hope to do one at a time as separate projects.

So do you guys have any reliable mechanics around with clean track record? 

Thanks in advance guys, cheers.

Which area are you in? If it's the Kegalle or Kurunegala area, I could recommend you a good place. Not easy to find a stock condition & running Rebel 125 these days as most have been taken into the chopper culture so I'd guess you got a good find!

Edited by □AVANTE□
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Which area are you in? If it's the Kegalle or Kurunegala area, I could recommend you a good place. Not easy to find a stock condition & running Rebel 125 these days as most have been taken into the chopper culture so I'd guess you got a good find!

Sadly I am from Nugegoda mate. I am actually waiting for confirmation today/tomorrow whether I will definitely get the bike. One of my friend is assisting me with the deal. IF I get it I will be really lucky as the ride is in running condition and within stock status. The current user has not done any mods or upgrades. I just wish I can bring it to mint on the long run - gradually.

I just saw your bio and seems you enjoy cycling too ☺️ Road or MTB?

26 minutes ago, Croozer said:

Sadly I am from Nugegoda mate. I am actually waiting for confirmation today/tomorrow whether I will definitely get the bike. One of my friend is assisting me with the deal. IF I get it I will be really lucky as the ride is in running condition and within stock status. The current user has not done any mods or upgrades. I just wish I can bring it to mint on the long run - gradually.

I just saw your bio and seems you enjoy cycling too ☺️ Road or MTB?

Yeah mate It's a road bike :)(there's a pic in the bio) a full white, standard Grandir 700c with Shimano Tourney gearset, aluminum bar, Kenda Qwest tyres & ProMax brakes. What about you?

Also, I'll ask from a biker friend of mine if he knows a place near your area.

Edited by □AVANTE□

• 5 months later...

Hey there lads.
This is my first time posting in AL, and man was it hard to find a motorcycle thread! (where are all the bikers at?)
Anyways, currently riding a Honda VTR 250, shes quite smooth, had a few hiccups with the CDI which I replaced bout a month back. 
My biggest and mosst pressing issue is where do you find a knowledgeable and trustworthy bike mech! Most that I have come across often lack 1 of these traits.
I feel the VTR's running a bit rich and in need of a proper carb tune up and hope to drop a aftermarket jet kit in the future, but tune up most urgently, can anyone point me at a mech preferably in Kotte/Nugegoda?

TIA guys

8 minutes ago, Grond said:

Hey there lads.
This is my first time posting in AL, and man was it hard to find a motorcycle thread! (where are all the bikers at?)
Anyways, currently riding a Honda VTR 250, shes quite smooth, had a few hiccups with the CDI which I replaced bout a month back. 
My biggest and mosst pressing issue is where do you find a knowledgeable and trustworthy bike mech! Most that I have come across often lack 1 of these traits.
I feel the VTR's running a bit rich and in need of a proper carb tune up and hope to drop a aftermarket jet kit in the future, but tune up most urgently, can anyone point me at a mech preferably in Kotte/Nugegoda?

TIA guys

Hello there fellow biker! Nice ride, almost looks like a Duc monster 400. Drop a pic down here! Yours must be a pre-2009 model as its a carb. 

In the meantime, I know a guy but issue is he is in Kolonnawa and he is always busy. @Croozer or @kadsa98might have an idea on a good bike mech near you.

The thing with carb tune isn't really about finding a great mech, but finding someone who won't rob you. There are people who charge less than10k for a full tune on an MC23 engined bike (all 4 carbs) while there are also those who charge excess of 20k.

21 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Hello there fellow biker! Nice ride, almost looks like a Duc monster 400. Drop a pic down here! Yours must be a pre-2009 model as its a carb. 

In the meantime, I know a guy but issue is he is in Kolonnawa and he is always busy. @Croozer or @kadsa98might have an idea on a good bike mech near you.

The thing with carb tune isn't really about finding a great mech, but finding someone who won't rob you. There are people who charge less than10k for a full tune on an MC23 engined bike (all 4 carbs) while there are also those who charge excess of 20k.

Heya bro! many thanks for the reply and suggestions.
Here she is...
Shes, I believe an MC33. single carb YOM 2000 with the oh-so-sweet V2 engine. Bit on the older side but engines mechanically sounds with a few fixable visual dings.

Sweet ride from the dirtbike background/ past bikes i've had. Also being 5'8, 60ish KG (cant remember/ haven't checked since lockdown and def put on in the mid section :P), a bit on the physically smaller side, I feel a really nice fit, physically.
But yea, most of the reviews I've come across on the VTR is the fact the factory settings really choke the neck in terms of output she can give... but getting her to someone who understands the many factors when it comes to tuning and/or legit maintenance or repairs are a rarity. Or may be my plain bad luck at scouting one out. Thanks for suggesting and hope @kadsa98 and @Croozer could point me at a reasonable mech :) 

What about yourself - got a steel steed of your own? :) 

7197FAE5-033D-4A9B-A3D4-62EE85068C7B.jpg

3 hours ago, Grond said:

Heya bro! many thanks for the reply and suggestions.
Here she is...
Shes, I believe an MC33. single carb YOM 2000 with the oh-so-sweet V2 engine. Bit on the older side but engines mechanically sounds with a few fixable visual dings.

Sweet ride from the dirtbike background/ past bikes i've had. Also being 5'8, 60ish KG (cant remember/ haven't checked since lockdown and def put on in the mid section :P), a bit on the physically smaller side, I feel a really nice fit, physically.
But yea, most of the reviews I've come across on the VTR is the fact the factory settings really choke the neck in terms of output she can give... but getting her to someone who understands the many factors when it comes to tuning and/or legit maintenance or repairs are a rarity. Or may be my plain bad luck at scouting one out. Thanks for suggesting and hope @kadsa98 and @Croozer could point me at a reasonable mech :) 

What about yourself - got a steel steed of your own? :) 

7197FAE5-033D-4A9B-A3D4-62EE85068C7B.jpg

She's a stunner! The trellis frame and tail are just works of art. On par with the Italian counterpart.

Must be a very different animal compared to the Spada and the older VTZ no? 

If you were near the kurunegala side, I could direct you to great mechs all day long (ex-professional racers, collectors and mechs who have worked abroad) who are actually passionate. I just recalled my close friend's friend had a blue VTR in Colombo which he sold in order to get a Nissan March K12 two-door lol. I'll get in touch with him and let you know. 

For me, just my FZ V2 and my Honda Zoomer 50. Nothing spine-snapping but truly alot of fun. 

IMG_20190902_180348_044.thumb.jpg.88b8fe9a7a409f4fe86859a16549cbda.jpg

Edited by AVANTE

19 hours ago, AVANTE said:

She's a stunner! The trellis frame and tail are just works of art. On par with the Italian counterpart.

If you were near the kurunegala side, I could direct you to great mechs all day long (ex-professional racers, collectors and mechs who have worked abroad) who are actually passionate. I just recalled my close friend's friend had a blue VTR in Colombo which he sold in order to get a Nissan March K12 two-door lol. I'll get in touch with him and let you know. 

For me, just my FZ V2 and my Honda Zoomer 50. Nothing spine-snapping but truly alot of fun. 

19 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Thanks man ❤️ I agree the frame and other aesthethics are lovely touches, main reason I went for her...

Pretty awesome rides man! the FZ's are a solid line, def a lovely daily rider and damn good on fuel yea? I see it might be time to replace the front tire? The Zoomer must have cost a pretty penny I presume? Wanted to get my hands on one a few years back but was unsuccessful

My good friend does own a Spada which he recently (and painstakingly) restored - IMO the riding posture and particularly the clip on handles give it a totally different feel compared to the VTR. Not slow at all but there's a brutish sort of feel on the VTR which I've come to like :D

Def kurunegala is the mecca for us 2 wheelers - used to travel a few times back and forth for practices at the Vijayabahu track where the Liyanages were kind enough to host my lil bro and I.

And yes, that would be greatly appreciated man! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grond said:

Thanks man ❤️ I agree the frame and other aesthethics are lovely touches, main reason I went for her...

Pretty awesome rides man! the FZ's are a solid line, def a lovely daily rider and damn good on fuel yea? I see it might be time to replace the front tire? The Zoomer must have cost a pretty penny I presume? Wanted to get my hands on one a few years back but was unsuccessful

My good friend does own a Spada which he recently (and painstakingly) restored - IMO the riding posture and particularly the clip on handles give it a totally different feel compared to the VTR. Not slow at all but there's a brutish sort of feel on the VTR which I've come to like :D

Def kurunegala is the mecca for us 2 wheelers - used to travel a few times back and forth for practices at the Vijayabahu track where the Liyanages were kind enough to host my lil bro and I.

And yes, that would be greatly appreciated man! 

Zoomers are cheap now but hard to find a good one. Almost all the carb bikes are shot due to the bad maintenance habits of most people (over choke, no warm ups, revving at cold starts, stressing the engine). Mine is an efi and really good stuff (Denso injection system). If you could get one, don't miss the chance! 

Yes the FZ tyres are shot lol. Thinking of putting a Metzeler 150/70R17 in the back but also considering the minute decrease in acceleration. Economy I've never really thought about but I'm guessing anywhere from 40-45kmpl the way I ride. 

Nice! You did professional motorcross back then? How is it going now? 

Edited by AVANTE

23 hours ago, AVANTE said:

Zoomers are cheap now but hard to find a good one. Almost all the carb bikes are shot due to the bad maintenance habits of most people (over choke, no warm ups, revving at cold starts, stressing the engine). Mine is an efi and really good stuff (Denso injection system). If you could get one, don't miss the chance! 

Yes the FZ tyres are shot lol. Thinking of putting a Metzeler 150/70R17 in the back but also considering the minute decrease in acceleration. Economy I've never really thought about but I'm guessing anywhere from 40-45kmpl the way I ride. 

Nice! You did professional motorcross back then? How is it going now? 

Good stuff. The Metzeler 150/70R17 more of a enduro vibe correct? Yea would love to get one, albeit gonna be investing more on the VTR now :P 
Yea gave it a try despite all the setbacks and difficulties when it comes to the racing world being a privateer. Love the scene but wayyy too capital intensive when you're doing it alone so... came up to the heats at Vijayabahu 2017 where I broke the gear shaft on my WRF. Didn't end up 'racing' per se. Nevertheless my lil bro did, for many events and years.
Figured the chilled, enduro vibe was more of my style. After, to take the bikes up to Avissawella where a friend had an estate where we'd ride around all day - much more enjoyable  :D 

Reluctantly sold the WRF for some other commitments and the VTR suddenly popped up on the radar late last year...and here we are :) 
PS Is naming a ride a thing? thinking about it haha 

3 hours ago, Grond said:

Good stuff. The Metzeler 150/70R17 more of a enduro vibe correct? Yea would love to get one, albeit gonna be investing more on the VTR now :P 
Yea gave it a try despite all the setbacks and difficulties when it comes to the racing world being a privateer. Love the scene but wayyy too capital intensive when you're doing it alone so... came up to the heats at Vijayabahu 2017 where I broke the gear shaft on my WRF. Didn't end up 'racing' per se. Nevertheless my lil bro did, for many events and years.
Figured the chilled, enduro vibe was more of my style. After, to take the bikes up to Avissawella where a friend had an estate where we'd ride around all day - much more enjoyable  :D 

Reluctantly sold the WRF for some other commitments and the VTR suddenly popped up on the radar late last year...and here we are :) 
PS Is naming a ride a thing? thinking about it haha 

Its more like a street rubber kind of vibe. 

That sucks to hear, destiny might have kept something else in store for you. Yeah bro the racing scene also, everything is capital minded these days. Also the estate thing sounds like a blast man. Was yours a 250? Also with the Yamaha reliability, you'd think they'd give up somewhere less important :)

Yes naming bikes are a thing but I haven't done it yet. A cousin of mine owns a Cbr600 f4i and when asked on this topic he said "it's not a living thing, why should I name it?" So to each his own hehe. Let me know what you call her. 

Enjoy that VTR bro, would love to ride one someday. Feel free to stick around the forums. I'll let you know when I get info.