• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advice On Car Battery

arun-online

Question

My car is a Nissan Sunny Fb14. Battery seems dead. it cant hold the charge. Nw im going to buy a new battery..

• Current battery is 35amp. nearly 2 year old..
  • Since these days im working far away from home. Normally car is not even started for 2 weeks.
  • Wiring, Alternator ok.. battery is bad

Please advice me on this..

1. Should i go for a higher amp battery. ?
  2. which battery type should i go for.. sealed type or other ?
  3. Which brand ?
  4. warranty and other stuff..

thanks...

Edited by arun-online

After referring Autolanka forums, about battery stuff i finally deside to go for a exide battery. still no idea about which Amp should i go for. 35amp 45 amp.

most of times when i go home, battery is dead.

1. Is it possible to charge car battery using bike. my bike is bajaj pulsar, it has 12v battery. my idea is to swap batteries and charge the car battery using bike engine. just enough to start the car.

2. do you guys have any ideas about these stuff from ebay... worth buying..?

a. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Automatic-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Trickle-Marine-Boat-RV-Car-Motorcycle-/290835266481?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b721fbb1&vxp=mtr

b. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-6A-car-motorcycle-battery-charger-applies-to-the-battery-28Ah-80AH-following-/170929162911?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item27cc2c0a9f

c. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Hot-Sales-12V6A-car-battery-intelligent-charging-lead-acid-battery-charger-/150942889626?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item2324e5b69a

thanks...... :give_rose:

If you don't use the car often, the only way to maintain the battery is through a trickle charger which is an electronic unit plugged into the mains that will keep the battery charged.

For sparingly used vehicles investing in expensive maintenence free batteries is a waste of money. Excide will do just fine. If the original capacity is 35ah keeping with 35ah is ok though a higher capacity battery will hold more charge and will dissepate over a slightly longer period.

Thanks Mr. Don and Mr. Pericles.. i go for 45amp Exide and already placed order "12V6A car battery intelligent charging lead-acid battery charger" in ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Hot-Sales-12V6A-car-battery-intelligent-charging-lead-acid-battery-charger-/150942889626?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item2324e5b69a.

May i jst fix the new battery and run or any other steps should i go through before fixing the new battery to increase the battery life.... :to_pick_ones_nose3:

Thanks Mr. Don and Mr. Pericles.. i go for 45amp Exide and already placed order "12V6A car battery intelligent charging lead-acid battery charger" in ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Hot-Sales-12V6A-car-battery-intelligent-charging-lead-acid-battery-charger-/150942889626?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item2324e5b69a.

May i jst fix the new battery and run or any other steps should i go through before fixing the new battery to increase the battery life.... :to_pick_ones_nose3:

arun-online,

What you have already placed © order according to your A/L Post is ok.

There are locally assembled Battery charges which are available here. I have seen them in Pettah for Rs, 7000,00 and under.

Imported ones are all over Rupees. 6000.00.

If you have a abiliy to assemble or any good Electricion I can help you to essebmle is Good charger.

I Will givw you the details. Last they cost me Rs; 4000.00

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

If you don't use the car often, the only way to maintain the battery is through a trickle charger which is an electronic unit plugged into the mains that will keep the battery charged.

For sparingly used vehicles investing in expensive maintenence free batteries is a waste of money. Excide will do just fine. If the original capacity is 35ah keeping with 35ah is ok though a higher capacity battery will hold more charge and will dissepate over a slightly longer period.

Good advice. True, a higher capacity battery will hold more charge and give you some relief for a short time but will not address the core issue in the long run. Instead you must invest in a float charger. As for the capacity of the charger it need not be of a capacity of 5 to 10 Amp particularly if you are going to keep it connected unattended for weeks. Even a 2A charger with a cut-off voltage of 13.8 to 14.0 V would do. However, for the sake of safety (particularly possible effects of lightning, rodents etc., when left unattended) it is always better to keep the charger switched on only when someone is around the house.

• Like 2

Sylvi, You are talking about a float charger ?

Yes. NRX.

I always use one charger; variable charger can adjust to best conduction of the battery.

I assemble them to my requirement. With components are freely available.

Switch on thrice a month so my battery to be in good condition.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

arun-online,

It is a good cost even if you assemble one in S/L will cost little over Rs:4000.00 without labor cost. Only additional thing I normally fix.

Ampere meter regulator for slow charging. If the battery is very badly down then increase to 3 to 5 amps.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Ideal would be to get a float charger...not a trickle charger.

trickle charger is a slow charger but overtime if hooked up for longer time it can overcharge a battery.

A float charger will sense when the battery is topped up and will start to slowly discharge to a point and then charge it again. very much like the battery being hooked to a vehicle.

Got a float charger myself and it has been maintaining my bike battery for the past 2 years without a hitch.

I start the bike once a month or so just to get the motor running and it's got only the electric leg so having the battery in shape is critical

Hi ,

I need a small advice on this .

can i use a old ups as a trickle charger ?

Does it harm the battary if i use ups to chard the car battary ?

Thanks.

Hi ,

I need a small advice on this .

can i use a old ups as a trickle charger ?

Does it harm the battary if i use ups to chard the car battary ?

Thanks.

If your UPS is a 12V system (most UPSs are on 24V) then you can theoretically use it to charge the car battery. But the practical issues are,

1. In some of the UPS designs the battery is not electrically isolated from mains. In this case it is hazardous to take an external connection from UPS. I do not recommend this.

2. You need to keep the UPS output disabled. Otherwise whenever there is a power outage the UPS output will switch on thus draining the battery.

3. If you do not have an issue with 1 and 2 above, you can charge the battery but ensure that the terminal voltage after a full charge level off at 13.8 to 14.0 V for a temperature of around 25C. Some of the high-end UPSs may have more complex charging algorithms like first taking the terminal voltage above 14.0 and then falling back to 13.6 or so.

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with 12V Panasonic maintanance free car batteries????

If your UPS is a 12V system (most UPSs are on 24V) then you can theoretically use it to charge the car battery. But the practical issues are,

1. In some of the UPS designs the battery is not electrically isolated from mains. In this case it is hazardous to take an external connection from UPS. I do not recommend this.

2. You need to keep the UPS output disabled. Otherwise whenever there is a power outage the UPS output will switch on thus draining the battery.

3. If you do not have an issue with 1 and 2 above, you can charge the battery but ensure that the terminal voltage after a full charge level off at 13.8 to 14.0 V for a temperature of around 25C. Some of the high-end UPSs may have more complex charging algorithms like first taking the terminal voltage above 14.0 and then falling back to 13.6 or so.

Rumesh88

Thanks for you answer .

same question i ask on another thread too i didn't see you answer .

My UPS is 650 APC and the battery was on it is 12v 7Ah .

I'm not using this as UPS.

Edited by mensoft