• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diy Scan Your Own Car

Crosswind

Right click on the (now green) question mark icon and click on Status.

1o8wib.jpg

You should see the COM PORT here:

14dhlk0.jpg

As you can see, my computer has identified it as COM23

Now open the Scanmaster-ELM software. This is what you should see. Click on options

10igorq.jpg

On the Options window, do the following:

2m6wghf.jpg

For Interface type, select RS-232 or Virtual COM Port Driver

On the port setting, click on Manually Set

On the port setting, select the COM Port which you identified from Bluesoleil earlier. Like I said, it’s COM23 for me.

Select Check 9600bps on connect (It should be ticked because this device works on 9600bps)

This is what I got:

dwb8gk.jpg

Important Note: Scanmaster ELM also has the option of configuring these automatically. For that, you need to select Bluetooth as the Interface Type and just click OK, leaving everything as it is. But in my case this didn’t work, due to reasons beyond my comprehension. Instead I have followed these longer but foolproof steps to make it work.

Configuration of Bluetooth is now complete.

To be continued...

Step 5 – Running Scanmaster-ELM

Click on Connect at the bottom left corner

10igorq.jpg

Once it connects, you should see the following window. If all goes well, you should see ECU CONNECTED message on the window.

219pi07.jpg

Step 6 – Browsing Through Available Tests

As usual, I will only demonstrate the available tests in this post and will not provide any interpretations or details on how to run these tests. Screenshots below show the SOME of the available tests:

2pyux7a.jpg

24dmus1.jpg

k12avk.jpg

5ntyxu.jpg

Compared to Scanator, Scanmaster-ELM is more comprehensive in terms of features. Simply because it runs on a computer which has a higher processing power and data storage ability compared to a mobile phone. So, for more advanced features, it will be more useful to the Auto enthusiast.

The Usual Disclaimer: The content herein should be followed at user’s discretion and should not be regarded as expert advice. Subsequently if there is any harm caused to any of your possessions, including but not limited to your car, pet dog or girlfriend, neither Autolanka.com nor the author can be held responsible. Web reproductions are allowed (provided Autolanka.com has no objections), but the source “Crosswind @ Autolanka.com” needs to be acknowledged.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This morning I worked with one of my friends on setting up the bluetooth OBD scanner he got from ebay and ran in to an issue because we could not figure out the PIN to connect.

With my laptop, it paired without a pin but on my friends phone, there was no way to connect without a pin.

Eventually we discovered the PIN was 5678. We also emailed the seller but figured this on our own.

Looking at various forums it seems the PIN can vary from 0000/1234/5678/6789 etc but it's generally a 4 digit numeral combo of a simple pattern, so try all this if you get stuck.

The car was a Mazda 3 2007 and we checked out using ScanMaster ELM (thanks to you!) and Torque Pro on his mobile. He had no (active or pending) DTC's and I left him checking out the rest of the parameters on Torque Pro.

The bluetooth scanner used was the cheapest found on ebay at $ 10.34 (I bought mine for 12.49, about a month back).

• 2 months later...

Dear Crosswind

My previous vehicle agents used to tell me that one of the injectors is 49% blocked or some similar figuires after scanning for while, just before a tune up job.can this obd 2 also read that info.

thanks

Dear Crosswind

My previous vehicle agents used to tell me that one of the injectors is 49% blocked or some similar figuires after scanning for while, just before a tune up job.can this obd 2 also read that info.

thanks

I don't know how this 49% number came from, but if the injectors are clogged, it doesn't matter if its 49% or 65% or 24%... you just need to clean them!

Secondly, you don't need a scanning tool to determine if the injectors are clogged. You will also notice misfires, rough idle and bad fuel economy etc.. However, the OBDII scanner may return a DTC code (in case of Ford Focus, it will be P0201 etc.)

Even if one injector is clogged, you still have to clean all of them.

Finally, injector cleaning (aka tune up) is preventive maintenance. So it's something that should be done every 10000km or so, irrespective of whether they are clogged or not.

Point well taken.....

I was using 3M injector cleaning fluid (mixed with fuel ) along with the vehicle service as a preventive measure and it gives me result. I was wondering if I can read that info. this can done only if necessary and can continue to do with more accurate measures.

Thanks for your comments.

I was looking for the protocol for my vehicle and search the net but managed to find only up to 2008 models and mine is 2011.(sportage)

Attached herewith is the doc I found finally.

http://www.alpha-bid.com/media/Shared-Pics/OBD2_protocols.pdf

Please let me know if you know a link where I can find this. Tried to search in the user manual but it does not carry this info unfortunately.

Thanks

To my knowledge, a scanning tool cannot measure the exact amount of blockage in an injector. So I am a bit confused how that 49% figure came by.

A little bit of Googling revealed that Sportage uses 11-bit CAN (same as my Focus) so the cheap eBay tool should most likely work.

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/vehicle-list-compatible-obd2.php?brand=kia

To my knowledge, a scanning tool cannot measure the exact amount of blockage in an injector. So I am a bit confused how that 49% figure came by.

A little bit of Googling revealed that Sportage uses 11-bit CAN (same as my Focus) so the cheap eBay tool should most likely work.

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/vehicle-list-compatible-obd2.php?brand=kia

Thanks crosswind.

Need to order the ebay tool in that case.

regards

... CONTINUED FROM EARLIER POST

Ignition Timing Advance

Can be used to verify the idle control.

2agq7vt.png

Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure

The difference in air pressure between the engine's intake manifold and atmosphere. 40 is just about the average.

348nlgg.png

Intake Air Temperature

wk23no.png

Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage

A very useful test which can indicate a range of problems from a faulty O2 sensor to cylinder head

The fluctuation below is normal

mwp00j.png

Ehow.com has a nice guide on troubleshooting a car using this data, which is available here: http://www.ehow.com/how_7473709_test-oxygen-sensors-voltage-meter.html

There are number of other tests in the same section, which I have not given here.

The bottom line is, with the above tool and google, one can be fairly good at troubleshooting problems indicated thru the ecu of a car… and save some money in the process.

So those are some of the tests you can do with Scanator. Do remember that this DIY doesn't cover how to do the tests exactly and how to interpret results.

And here are some FAQs which I can think of:

1. I don’t have an Android phone. Can I use this device?

Yes, if you have Bluetooth in your computer. If not, you can get a cheap Bluetooth adapter like this one Off eBay or Unity Plaza. I'll be doing another DIY on how to use the scanner with a laptop/PC

64mihh.png

2. I’m Steve Jobs’s love slave. Can I use this device?

You probably can, but with some other software, not Scanator. I have never touched an iPhone in my life so can’t help you.

3. Can I buy one of those scanners in Sri Lanka?

I‘ve seen some guy advertising them in a classifieds website. If 3500 bucks isn’t too much for you (compared to $15) then you might as well get one locally.

Disclaimer: The content herein should be followed at user’s discretion and should not be regarded as expert advice. Subsequently if there is any harm caused to any of your possessions, including but not limited to your car, pet dog or girlfriend, neither Autolanka.com nor the author can be held responsible. Web reproductions are allowed (provided Autolanka.com has no objections), but the source “Crosswind @ Autolanka.com” needs to be acknowledged.

I tried this on my Carina GT and its no go. Doesn't detect the ECU. Tried the same with a standalone diagnostic unit @ the garage with the same result. It did how ever work when connected to the diagnostic port in side the engine bay using the standalone unit. The port looks like this

car-computer-diagnostic.jpg

I tried this on my Carina GT and its no go. Doesn't detect the ECU. Tried the same with a standalone diagnostic unit @ the garage with the same result. It did how ever work when connected to the diagnostic port in side the engine bay using the standalone unit. The port looks like this

car-computer-diagnostic.jpg

Do you mean to say Carina GT has two diagnostic ports? I thought 90s Toyotas had their diagnostic ports in the engine bay anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried scanning two more cars. 2004 Honda Civic ES1(d15b non vtec) connected to the ECU but didn't show any results. Everything was blank. But the 2007 Corolla 141(3zz-fe) worked like a charm and displayed most of the parameters using the scanmaster elm SW on the laptop.

4aec94257451200.jpg

29d5d2257451072.jpg

6d2484257451139.jpg

Your Civic was probably a JDM while the 141 is not. This may not work with most of the JDM cars (I tried this with a Nissan March and a Cefiro with zero luck).As reported by Vishkid, it does work with Axelas.

You could be right. I tried with a Toyota Belta (JDM) and it never worked. Tried with my 2001 Lancer CS3 (non JDM) with Torque on Android and it took a long time to identify the ECU but no results could be obtained on the phone. Gotta give it another try when time permits.

Hmm .. interesting. Wonder why it works with the Axela though? My friend has a Demio and will try to see if it works. It actually did NOT work with my dads FB15, I thought it was a connection (BT) issue but looks unsupported.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys,

Just my two cents, I have been using a cheapo elm327 on my JDM vitz ksp90, None of the conventional software worked (i.e. Torque & all the windows programs), but I came across Hobdrive for android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hobd.android . It works like a charm, it has different vehicle profiles, included is the passo, just tweak around with the vehicle weight, fuel tank capacity and it will work on the vitz. It'll scan for engine DTCs give fuel consumption and other goodies. Maybe you guys can check it out?