Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Schiffer

How To Jump Start A Car

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys, I'm planning to buy a jumper cable from ebay or somewhere, so I just want to know how to check a suitable jumper cable for purchase.. its not only the cable i have to buy yes, and how to select the unit etc.? cuz there are jumper kits in that quick site for various prices... any advice on how to select a jumper kit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

Hi Guys, I'm planning to buy a jumper cable from ebay or somewhere, so I just want to know how to check a suitable jumper cable for purchase.. its not only the cable i have to buy yes, and how to select the unit etc.? cuz there are jumper kits in that quick site for various prices... any advice on how to select a jumper kit?

Jumper cables or kits? 

I bought a jumper cable from wow for around 1400 (i think). It's nothing complecated really, just get the thickest wires you can afford. As long as your battery is 12v35 or 12v45 most cables will be okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Jumper cables or kits? 

I bought a jumper cable from wow for around 1400 (i think). It's nothing complecated really, just get the thickest wires you can afford. As long as your battery is 12v35 or 12v45 most cables will be okay. 

so the jumper cables should be fixed into a meter board or some kind of a gajet to get the power right? does it come with the jumper cables? whats the difference between the jumper cables and the jumper kit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PreseaLover Jumper cables are just two passive copper wires thick enough to carry the cranking amperage (which is in the order of 300A) with two crocodile clips on either end to attach to battery terminals. You need to connect it to a battery of another car to jump start. Jumper kits on the other hand come with a battery bank to give your batter  quick boost. Also included with them are other options like air compressor, torch etc. Both these have their own pros and cons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rumesh88 said:

@PreseaLover Jumper cables are just two passive copper wires thick enough to carry the cranking amperage (which is in the order of 300A) with two crocodile clips on either end to attach to battery terminals. You need to connect it to a battery of another car to jump start. Jumper kits on the other hand come with a battery bank to give your batter  quick boost. Also included with them are other options like air compressor, torch etc. Both these have their own pros and cons.

ohhhh got it, thanks for the explanation rumesh :) 

I found this jumper on ebay, which can be fitted into the ciggerette lighter... do you recommend this? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Battery-Jumper-Booster-Start-Extension-Cables-Charger-To-Cigarette-Lighter-/111765267458?hash=item1a05baa402:g:~mkAAOSwu4BV7TP5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most cigarette lighters sockets are rated at around 120 watts.  This means the socket should be able to pull 10A, possibly fused (maxed) at 15 or 20 AMPs.  How that little jumper could start a car (even a small 4 cylinder) is beyond me.! You might be better off getting a set made using some good quality copper cable.

I recently tried to start a 2.3 litre petrol GDI engine with a 400 AMP cable, the cable just couldn’t pull enough juice to start the car.!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PreseaLover said:

ohhhh got it, thanks for the explanation rumesh :) 

I found this jumper on ebay, which can be fitted into the ciggerette lighter... do you recommend this? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Battery-Jumper-Booster-Start-Extension-Cables-Charger-To-Cigarette-Lighter-/111765267458?hash=item1a05baa402:g:~mkAAOSwu4BV7TP5

This jumper is not for jump starting but to provide you with an external lighter socket so that you can use things like mobile chargers, lights, jump start kit battery banks (hence the wording "jumper booster start") that would otherwise need a car lighter socket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rumesh88 said:

This jumper is not for jump starting but to provide you with an external lighter socket so that you can use things like mobile chargers, lights, jump start kit battery banks (hence the wording "jumper booster start") that would otherwise need a car lighter socket.

ohhh right, okay thanks rumesh :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×