• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Komisiripala

• 1 month later...

a little activity i would like to blog on after a long time. this might help our newbie Sierra Charlie as well. here's the result of my negative camber on the front wheels. chewed through brand new tyres within an year. its gone down to the wire on the inner lip. i'm buying a new pair tomorrow.

photo13_zpsac405158.jpg

this is not a result of me neglecting it, but of me not knowing what else to do after correcting the camber with adjustable upper arms on the front sus. learned later that you get adjustable upper arm mounting points, and got them down only this month: these give an added 3 degrees of camber either way.

photo33_zpsb809d6ad.jpg

to clarify, all this brouhaha is because i have an uncorrectable negative camber on the front passenger side wheel. even with full positive setting, there was -2.08 on that side. why only that side i cant figure out. maybe a previous accident. who knows? but as you can see it had its impact on the tyre. now tho, its all aligned perfectly.

to add to this, there was a toe out of the rear wheel. this too i didn't know there was adjustment for it. the gut at the alignment center suggested this, and i got down the adjustable toe arms as well. so now the rear alignment is spot on as well. finally.

photo23_zps8f1439a8.jpg

on a separate note, i had some trouble with the AC, and as always, the culprit being our makabaases thinking "ooh this looks like it'll fit! let slap it on!". my compressor packed up, and when we looked into the matter, apparently i've been running a toyota compressor. now the interesting fact is that toyota engines crank one way, and honda the other way! so not quite sure how this managed to work this long even. bottom line is, we had no sample to get a new one from, and after much hunting and frustration, sourced a condenser and compressor off a b20b CRV engine. perfect fit.

to clarify my loving fan(s):

1. the camber kit, front and rear, (not available in SL) cost me 50$

2. recon IACV valve (OS at tech, 27,000) cost me $30

3. shipping for above $45, tax 1500

4. makabaas = NOT indika. not a repair i did.

• Like 3

Sanka alignment. Just past gamsabha junction on high level road.

Yes! that's the place, Good guys...

BTW, I Managed to get 1 of my front tires worn out from outside within 5000Kms thanks to a FREE alignment job after some suspension work from a place nearby :(

I think I've said it a few times already as well. Car Care is very good at wheel alignment. I've corrected camber on both cars our family owns using camber adjustment bolts. Its not as nice a solution as Komis, but these cars don't have upper arms which are easier to adjust (there are upper arms on the rear funny enough). Car feels really good and does not pull to either side and tyres are being worn evenly.

feeling left out of the whole restoring business. so here is my contribution, minus a separate thread altogether. Pic courtesy of Komi... :)

Taken a few weeks back. The vehicle in question is running, restored to almost its former glory and already had a shakedown run on the E01 with flying colours.

Sadly this is the ONLY picture I have of the car.. LOL.

See, I didn't have time to take pics and write long descriptions.. :)

10402878_10152405253324477_4849705786884

• Like 2

more on this: despite sanka doing their job, i was still unsure since the wheels LOOKED like they were all askew. so since i had to get new shoes anyways, i had amila recheck the alignment. no fancy computers there, just good old physics and lasers. turns out sanka's alignment was perfect. maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. so ended up paying the price for bad camber. two new tyres. upgraded from the chinese tyres i had to maxxis victras. love the tread on these:

photo_zps9a85a61b.jpg

more on this: despite sanka doing their job, i was still unsure since the wheels LOOKED like they were all askew. so since i had to get new shoes anyways, i had amila recheck the alignment. no fancy computers there, just good old physics and lasers. turns out sanka's alignment was perfect. maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. so ended up paying the price for bad camber. two new tyres. upgraded from the chinese tyres i had to maxxis victras. love the tread on these:

photo_zps9a85a61b.jpg

Ditto the nice looking tread! :)

they're still Chinese though :o

Last I checked it was made in Indonesia? I remember don verifying this too.

But maxxis has good reviews internationally. Scored above 90% in some multi point tyre assessment. Not propaganda this was off some test conducted in USA.

So hopefully less trouble this time

took her for drive on galle road. pushed it a little. grip is much much better compared to the previous tyres. no skidding when braking hard. no ABS engagement. rolling noise is minimal. alignment feels good. no wobble on thrashing or braking.

this is all relative. and i was running shitty tyres due to budget constraints. will eventually swap out the rears for a pair of these as well.

took her for drive on galle road. pushed it a little. grip is much much better compared to the previous tyres. no skidding when braking hard. no ABS engagement. rolling noise is minimal. alignment feels good. no wobble on thrashing or braking.

this is all relative. and i was running shitty tyres due to budget constraints. will eventually swap out the rears for a pair of these as well.

Investing on good rubber is always a good idea. had victras in my earlier car. heard they are not selling in SL anymore ?

let me know about how they perform. have you checked maxxis i pro ?

Currently having dunlop sp sports maxx and those are too expensive to buy and im going to need a new set soon.

Yes. Agree with kalana on that. Maxxis have an islandwide dealership. Did some research on them locally before i bought as well. Don is one happy customer i know of. The old stock victra goes at 12,500. New stock goes at 13,000 to 13,500. Went with victra because i love that tread! The closest dealer to me was the guy opposite karagampitiya police station on hill street. Even amila tyre deals them and i twisted their arm to get me a pair for dealer price.

On a seperate note: vvti, instead of posing photos i took of your stone, why dont you tell us a story of your alfa? You dont have to call it "project this" or that! But you know there are many other lonely souls out there who fap to a good italian ass every once in a while! And so far she has given you less trouble than my teg...

• Like 1

Last I checked it was made in Indonesia? I remember don verifying this too.

From Google.

Cheng Shin Rubber

Cheng-Shin Rubber Ind. Co.,Ltd. is the ninth largest tire company in the world. Established in 1967, at the city of Yuanlin, Taiwan.

Edited by MAS
  • Like 1

Yes. Agree with kalana on that. Maxxis have an islandwide dealership. Did some research on them locally before i bought as well. Don is one happy customer i know of. The old stock victra goes at 12,500. New stock goes at 13,000 to 13,500. Went with victra because i love that tread! The closest dealer to me was the guy opposite karagampitiya police station on hill street. Even amila tyre deals them and i twisted their arm to get me a pair for dealer price. On a seperate note: vvti, instead of posing photos i took of your stone, why dont you tell us a story of your alfa? You dont have to call it "project this" or that! But you know there are many other lonely souls out there who fap to a good italian ass every once in a while! And so far she has given you less trouble than my teg...

Ravindra Tyre have handled Maaxxis from back when they sold it as Cheng Shin

Decent folks - managed to get them to honour a warranty on some Continentals once :)

• Like 1

Decent folks - managed to get them to honour a warranty on some Continentals once :)

Now the agent is Benedictsons, a subsidiary of Tyre house.

They are a lot better than SP SPORT MAXX and the Side walls are stronger. I have proof in my car after it had an incident with a kerb thanks to my father. Basically nothing in Sri Lanka comes close at that price range. Only issue is the Victras have a high wear factor, but on the positive side plenty of grip.

They tried to flog these i pros and stop selling the Victras but seems to have come to their senses and reimport as there is clearly a gap in the market in that sector.

I also got one Maxxis MT tire replaced under warranty at Ravindra's after it developed a tiny crack on the sidewall.

• MADZ featured this topic
  • MADZ locked this topic