• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Smart Led Tv

GTAm

@ Schiffer,

Do not try to be a smart ass! :speechless-smiley-004:

Two TV cards is not a must, who told you to buy windows media center? media center is already installed to Win7/Vista/ or even XP media center edition, can easily get it downloaded!

Win Media center (in win 7) may be out dated for you but not for the most.

I could guarantee it as I am using it ( win 7 mc).

I agree that power consumption, bigger lcd/led have a point!

I just gave my idea OP may or may not accept it :sleeping-smiley-008:

If you do not know what MCE is just google up or in the wiki http://en.wikipedia....ws_Media_Center

Edited by nano31

@ Schiffer,

Do not try to be a smart ass! :speechless-smiley-004:

Two TV cards is not a must, who told you to buy windows media center? media center is already installed to Win7/Vista/ or even XP media center edition, can easily get it downloaded!

Win Media center (in win 7) may be out dated for you but not for the most.

I could guarantee it as I am using it ( win 7 mc).

I agree that power consumption, bigger lcd/led have a point!

I just gave my idea OP may or may not accept it :sleeping-smiley-008:

If you do not know what MCE is just google up or in the wiki http://en.wikipedia....ws_Media_Center

LOL

seriously, unless OP has a space issue

your 'theory' will cost more and will consume more electricity.

NOTE: The OP wanted a 42" TV

any idea for a place to buy a 42" LED Monitor? and if so the Cost? i donno about you but i have never come across a 40+ inch monitor in sri lanka.

before being a smart ass yourself, do consider everything mate.

• Like 1

Dear GTAm - After reading the posts on this thread are you now convinced or confused?

I get the feeling that what majority of us are trying to do is to justify the purchase of a so called "electronic consumer durable" (in marketing jargon) based on three basic factors for a given price. In a random order of priority, they are the product features, product reliability and trustworthiness of the agent. I deliberately avoid any reference to brand loyalty for it has become a trivial matter.These days the product reliability and agents after sales performance are two of the most unpredictable things. The rate of new product development and the limited lead time to market has pushed the manufacturers to their limits. Naturally they out-source production to cut down the cost and the lead time to market thus compromising the quality. Also the production methods have changed since the last decade particularly manufacturers being forced to comply with RoHS rules thus reducing or eliminating the use of lead for soldering process. The boards which are manufactured using these methods are very much vulnerable to heat stress. (In more simple terms, very often you get dry-solder joints after couple of years of use). You cannot strictly stick to the pre-1990 mentality when you go for a product which is a "electronic consumer non-durable" in this era. Gone are days agents always coming to your rescue. Instead you need to focus on the features of the product and hope for the best on the other two factors. Although many of us may not like to admit this, it is the reality of the day.

So my advise is to compare the product features that you enjoy the most and enjoy it while it lasts. That will give you the best return for your money. The rest is so much unpredictable, no one but a fortune teller would be able to give you a concrete advice. Wish you best of luck!!!

Thanks Rumesh excellent stuff. In the end I did exactly that.... :)

I have been using a Samsung 46” LCD which I got down from UK about 2 ½ years back and also I did some research recently to help a friend who wanted to buy a TV my findings:

IMO no point in spending premium for the features below as you will most probably will not be using them:

1. 3D – no broadcast, no DVD, only very few blue ray tittles and they are very expensive, so most probably you will not be using this feature.
  2. Full HD – similar to above, Dialog TV has Discovery HD and National Geography HD other channels offered are upscaled to HD and is of poor quality. Only solution is to get an Indian cable box through one of the vendors advertised on Sunday papers where you could get couple of full HD channels.
  3. Your local TV and local cable quality will be crap when watching them in your HD TV, if you are not sure ask them for a demo or go and have a look with one who has already got one.
  4. For you to use internet on your TV to watch video (you tube) you need very fast internet connection (at least 4 mbps) and this also will consume huge amount of data so unless you have a high speed unlimited data package useless. On top of things it is very dangerous to keep the TV hooked to your phone line either direct or through network due to possible damage through lightning.
  5. Do you really require this Wifi, DLNA, you will need more hard ware to support or use this features.
  6. For you to really benefit by going for LED you will need to go for the more expensive back lit instead of edge lit. If you could live with approximately 40% more power consumption and bit thicker TV (3-4” instead of 2-3”) you would find good bargains on LCD TV’s.

What I recommended for my friend is not to go for the useless features and get a bigger screen 46” instead of 40” by not going for maybe 3D, the amount you save (Rs. 50-100k) could be invested in a good home theatre system which would complete your home entertainment system. (you will need a good sound system anyway cause the minute speakers you get in this flat TVs are crap)

Before you buy think about what you will be watching, how long, where you are going to pace the TV once you have answers to all the questions to and look for the best deal which will fulfil your requirements. Do bit more research goggle and see there are enough material/ research to help you or may be to confuse you more.

Don’t just get in to the bandwagon and go and get the latest / most advance as most of the features would be useless here.

Great stuff too Kush. I hear what you say. But you know very well I'm sure that we look at bhp, 0-100 times etc when buying a car when most of the time we are stuck in traffic and slotting from 1st to 2nd to 1st. :D

We buy watches that are a water proof to a zillion miles beneath the oceans but we only swim with it in the pool ;)

"Nice to have" vs "need to have".

Anyway with the TV if I look back at my purchase and ownership experience, this is only the 3rd TV in my entire life. Our first TV was bought by my dad in 1978 - a 20" Japanese Sharp. It was utterly reliable and I replaced it 21 years later :o with a 29" Sharp from Malaysia. 13 years later is now when I decided to replace that. As you will note I am not a person who changes my TVs like my cars even.

Therefore I want to have the best value for money product that will possibly last a long time (Although relatively speaking) and will keep me ready for tech changes in the next few years. Let's face it things are moving fast, and the chances are the current state will not last for very long. And I don't want to be scratching my head thinking I should have not cringed away for that extra 70k on going SMART.

Btw kush I have an excellent JBL/Yamaha home theater system, so I have no need to think about that side of things. I invested in this first because sound is more important than vision for me. I could not do the TV then because I really wanted the best system available at that time and it was bloody expensive.

@nano31 and @schiffer thankfully I do not understand a word you tow guys are on about :lol:

Thanks everyone for all the inputs here and for the two pals who even called me to impart some knowledge and experience. It certainly was all very educational for me. Much appreciated.

I'm glad to say that I went for the LG 42 in the end. Like kush's advice I suddenly saw a Singer 47" non-Smart 3D LED next to the 40" Samsung 6 series and for about an hour I was convinced that size in fact does matter :lol: . I thought to heck with the Smart features, 7" is a massive difference and 70k saving was as attractive. However the longer I sat there the more I noticed the difference in the picture quality of the two. This was due to the superior "Frame Rate" in the Samsung I was told. 400 vs 100. Seriously the quality of sales people is so poor. They should have educated me about this months earlier with simply going on with "Samsung has the best quality" mantra.

Regarding the reliability issues I did a more inquiring and found people who had recently bought LG TVs and have had them for 2 and 3 years and were very happy. And further research showed that in the recent past LG had many issues with LCD TVs. TBH I never like the LG brand for some reason maybe because it had what I thought a crappy name called Goldstar. From the time LED's hit here I wanted to buy Samsung. Never liked Abans too. Being a stockbroker by profession I've compared Singer SL with them many times and I know which is the better managed and investor friendly company in every way. If a company is less investor friendly the chances are that they will be less customer friendly too. Therefore the other SoftLog was totally off my list. ;)

Anyway yesterday for the umpteenth time I went around to have a final look.

Finally went to see the LG again. It matched the Samsung 40 in every tech feature and bettered it in one. I can't recall what it was nor do I know what it does, but it was nice to know. However the clinchers were the extra 2" on the LG (incredibly quite a visual difference) and the Rs. 13k price deficit.

Paid and signed up, they said they would deliver and install it this evening. However they surprised us by delivering it yesterday itself. Installation happens today! Really excited. :yahoo:

• Like 2

Great stuff too Kush. I hear what you say. But you know very well I'm sure that we look at bhp, 0-100 times etc when buying a car when most of the time we are stuck in traffic and slotting from 1st to 2nd to 1st. :D

We buy watches that are a water proof to a zillion miles beneath the oceans but we only swim with it in the pool ;)

"Nice to have" vs "need to have".

Anyway with the TV if I look back at my purchase and ownership experience, this is only the 3rd TV in my entire life. Our first TV was bought by my dad in 1978 - a 20" Japanese Sharp. It was utterly reliable and I replaced it 21 years later :o with a 29" Sharp from Malaysia. 13 years later is now when I decided to replace that. As you will note I am not a person who changes my TVs like my cars even.

Therefore I want to have the best value for money product that will possibly last a long time (Although relatively speaking) and will keep me ready for tech changes in the next few years. Let's face it things are moving fast, and the chances are the current state will not last for very long. And I don't want to be scratching my head thinking I should have not cringed away for that extra 70k on going SMART.

Btw kush I have an excellent JBL/Yamaha home theater system, so I have no need to think about that side of things. I invested in this first because sound is more important than vision for me. I could not do the TV then because I really wanted the best system available at that time and it was bloody expensive.

Congratulations :grinning-smiley-003:

This is exactly what I also wanted to reply to Kush but some how I did not. Besides there are Blu-rays and even the up scaled picture quality is clearly better in Full HD.

Also no additional hardware is required for DLNA, except for a wireless router. Nowadays almost all home entertainment devices are DLNA compliant.and it's also quite useful in streaming AV/photo from PC and Phone to the TV.

@ GTAm,

It is windows media center in windows 7. It is an application that allows users to view and record live television, as well as organize and play music and videos.

It is what I am using at my home coupled with 29 inches screen with 5.1 sound system, Microsoft tv remote

You need not to have hifi computer but yes you need a compatible TV card like "Hauppauge".

If you properly set it up you feel no or minimal difference in appearance, with a regular TV.

Benefits are

It will play any video file

Live TV pausing

TV recording

FM radio

On line TV/TV guides

Can connect to your mobile via blue tooth and play/show video/photos

'nano31',

Will you give me the present cost of assembling this system, only PCU with minimum requirements.

I like to have that system again. That you mention.

It will play any video file

Live TV pausing

TV recording

FM radio

On line TV/TV guides

Can connect to your mobile via blue tooth and play/show video/photos.

I had to discontinue the system what you mention on your post.

Because the Computer repairer and the software programer who did my computers.

Migrated to Canada for better prospects in his profession with his wife was also a computer software developer.

Can you undertake to do this, or advice the present person who do my computers.

Please Email me with the cost and possibility of help me out on this system

[email protected]:[email protected];

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

guys,

I would like to get some ideas about size vs LED/LCD. Lets say, If a 32" LED TV and a 42" LCD TV is at the same price, which one will you buy ?

(32" models are Samsung,Sony and 42" is Phillips)

Your opinions are much appreciated. :)

Machan just PM me on where from, $, etc

No need. Ebay. $50 ish. You get units from under $50 to close to $100, various bells and whistles. Some units have webcams and mikes for skype, some had wired Ethernet ports, that kinda thing. This was the only one running Android 4.1 at the moment tho, all the others we looked at were 4.0 distros.

Shipped to SL all the way to the house, in about a week, apparently. No going to customs to collect.

LED for sure. Coz you get more detail and vivid pictures. Helps you treat your eyes when you watch the unexpected. If you know what I mean ;)

LEDs use less electricity as well I am told. ;) . What's your budget Kalana?

@soulja - Thanks for the advice mate :)

@GTAm - budget is under 80K. the main thing to consider is both TV's are the same price mate.

Thats why i asked bigger LCD or Smaller LED :)

@GTAm - budget is under 80K. the main thing to consider is both TV's are the same price mate.

Thats why i asked bigger LCD or Smaller LED :)

Tough one kalana. I know size is attractive, but LED is what's current right now. If it were me, I would go for the LED the same way, I would buy the more advanced small car over an out of date large car.

Tough one kalana. I know size is attractive, but LED is what's current right now. If it were me, I would go for the LED the same way, I would buy the more advanced small car over an out of date large car.

Was thinking the same way.. :) will decide on Samsung VS Sony then buy.

Dude, the 'more advanced' part about LED TVs are mostly marketing hype afaik. LED TVs are also LCD TVs which uses LEDs along the edge of the panel unlike the "LCD TVs" which actually use small cathode tubes. Biggest advantage would be lower thickness of the TV and a bit higher frame rate. There may be a slight difference in picture quality but mostly it is psychological. Unless getting the latest technology is the necessity I would actually go by the advice of the guy who supported LCDs.

Let me put it this way. Marketing hype would make us believe that LED vs. LCD is similar to hybrid vs. plug-in hybrid but in reality, its not.

BTW manufacturing costs of edge-lighting using LED should be lower than using CFL (or the thing they use in LCD) but right now, supply and demand seem to dictate the prices.

• Like 1