• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

SB 14 Engine Overhaul

Malkoba

Question

Hi Experts,

I have an FB 14 diesel(SB 14 rathar I guess) with CD 20 engine. Lately I found that the pulling power is less and fuel consumption is higher than normal. So I'm gussing I need to go for an overhaul.

I know that this has to be diagnosed first, which I will surely do, However before that I would like to know following details.

1. What will be the cost I should expect with OEM parts.(I do not like others than OEM and has been using them since I bought the car)
  2. A good place with resonable pricing.
  3. Anything else I should be looking for.

I was told that to do this by A*W will cost aroung 400k. I never got an estimate though.

Thanks.

8 answers to this question

engine overhaul is a place where most of the customers screw big time.

To start with ,

1-replace the oil pump and water pump.

2-drain the cooling system and clean it refill and check for leaks.

3-have to sleeve or bore, your engine core , i personally prefer boring since i've NO much faith on aftermarket sleeves.

4-new piston ring set and pistons (alpine -if i remember correct) if needed.

5-change all belts , oil seals , worn out bearings.

6- dismantle the engine in a decent garage and do the reboring at reputed place like ediri/D*MO.

7-overhaul the injector pump.

8-check for engine mounts, replace if needed.

9-attend to hoses and replace if needed.

Cost would be 150k around witty parts i guess.

400k=MADNESS at any level

Edited by chan5

Update: Got a quotation for 250K at edirisinghe Bros with 1 year warrenty

depends on what they offer with the package...

If it's just boring and pistons, i'll ask them to F-off.

If it's injector pump overhaul, water pump , oil pump , belts , seals , bearings ,and assemble filters with oil , labour , VAT , All sort of taxes..

Yes go for it....

What you've to realize is , when engine comes to the end of the life the other associated components also has done their job, they might be pretty tired by now and can die at any given moment. . . !

Unless you've a plan to sell it with a tag saying , "RECENTLY OVERHAUL ENGINE.", get the full thing done.

Will say if your oil pump refuse to work after one month of your overhaul, Yes, you've to open the damn thing again, refill oil, new sealents, labour , hastle, time waste , and cost about another 20-25k..

In my case , the OEM(ASIN) pump was about 7k.

I would start with basics first..

condition of the air filter

Diesel filter

Condition of the injectors, have they been replaced recently etc

Injector pump service

Clutch

If it's an auto..

gear oil quality etc

If all those basics checks out ok...then you should think of an overhaul of the engine.

Usually when an overhaul if due...you'll start burning off engine oil too... THat too should be a dead giveaway if the engine truly has come to a stage where it require a full rebuild

Thanks for the comments guys. I think better to tell the full story, so you will understand the stuff.

We got the car around 6 years back and had a continues gasket issue which replaces 4 gaskets in 5 years. That time my father was maintaing the car and he has his mechanics do the job(My father has relatively fair knowladge on engines. Obviously way better than me :speechless-smiley-006: ). I was just driving it. So I never cared to maintain as my father did the stuff, obviously with local market parts. Then after about facing the head for 2 times, he decided to replace the engine with a reconditioned one. which I have now in the car. The replacement was only the engine. Starter motor, gearbox, injector pump are kept intact.

After the replacement I took the car to my hand and maintained it properly with proper service intervals and has been replacing local market parts with OEM ever since. Normally I go to Paliyagoda A*W workshop and get the repairs done. Paying a little higher for the job, but getting it neatly done, which is also reliable. They presshered the injectors and said they are in good condition about 6 months back. They are the people who said I need to go for an overhaul since there is a relatively thick smoke coming from the oil level checker when pulled out. also they have incresed the idleing speed to decrease the vibration coming when the AC is on.

I'm also feeling the pulling power has been decreased. And the engine is racing up without speeding the car. And it is an Auto.

So I think now you will have a clear idea on my situation. Anyway 150K was my initial target for the job as a guy in A*W told me that he would do the job for that price personally with OEM. But I do not like that approach as I do not get any warrenty and I'm not sure that he will stick to his words to replace with OEM.

On a side note, I'm not looking to sell it for at least another 2 years, So I need to do the things right.

I never check the Lube consumption. Is there any way to do that? However normally I put 5.5 ltr Delo gold (multigrade I guess) and never had to refill up to the level later on. It reduce a bit as far as I can see from the oil guage, but not a considerable reduction.