• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Decorative Paint

soulja

Guyz I'm planning to paint my house and I was offered a seasonal discount of 25% for interior and exterior paints. Is it worth the percentage? Thanks

'soulja',

Paint costs have come down in recent past from 400.00 Rupees a liter to 350.00on cheap brands due to high competition. But still reputed brands are selling at 750.00 to 800.00 Rupees.For their quality and long standing trade name

25% discount on paints they still have 100% profit or more on reputed brands.

I bought pink color 4 liters for an urgent paint Job at Dehiwala paint and Hardware shop on the station road Galle road corner. Center shop cannot remember the name for 950.00 Rupees about 10 days back.Advertised on November weekend (H/A).

The quality is OK the viscosity is not there like reputed brands.I have tried out all paints reputed brands and advertised new brands.

I never buy paints I buy the required ingredients from bangstall Street Pettah and mix them by my self. If I go to buy I need large quantities of paint. Wall paint interior and external (weather shield) for my requirements.

If you want I can help yo to do that method .If it is small quantity it is OK to buy ready mix paints,or from HIT advertisements these days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Sylvi. But I'm planning to color wash my house and I was offered 25% on causeway paints. And was wondering whether it's a good bargain? Since I don't want to miss the seasonal offer discount. Plus was wondering whether there are any other places issuing higher discount percentages as per AL members. Thanks.

I never buy paints I buy the required ingredients from bangstall Street Pettah and mix them by my self. If I go to buy I need large quantities of paint. Wall paint interior and external (weather shield) for my requirements.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

You mix up your own interior and exterior paints? You're joking right? No offence intended, but this sounds like its something best left to the professionals...or am I totally out in the cold on this one?

Is this practice common amongst contractors and other individuals in the construction trade? ('MasterDon' care to comment?)

Edited by Kavvz

Considering one wont be painting a home that often...i would prefer to go for the best brand i could afford.

Dulux or Multilac would be my choice... Have been using fair bit of their product range and personally speaking...none of the other competitors comes close.

Making up your own paint at home is not worth the risk imho.

Paint labour, prepping, time and hassle etc too doesn't come cheap. Why risk it with crappy paint!

'soulja',

If you want I can help yo to do that method .

Sylvi Wijesinghe

it should be interesting , can you share the method . . . !

You mix up your own interior and exterior paints? You're joking right? No offence intended, but this sounds like its something best left to the professionals...or am I totally out in the cold on this one?

Is this practice common amongst contractors and other individuals in the construction trade? ('MasterDon' care to comment?)

No.We buy the branded stuff too.Even if we do make the paints I don't think our clients would go along with it.Plus they have lot additives that help fight the elements. Dulux is preferred over others.

Edited by MasterDon

No.We buy the branded stuff too.Even if we do make the paints I don't think our clients would go along with it.Plus they have lot additives that help fight the elements. Dulux is preferred over others.

Considering one wont be painting a home that often...i would prefer to go for the best brand i could afford.

Dulux or Multilac would be my choice... Have been using fair bit of their product range and personally speaking...none of the other competitors comes close.

Making up your own paint at home is not worth the risk imho.

Paint labour, prepping, time and hassle etc too doesn't come cheap. Why risk it with crappy paint!

Makes sense...Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Edited by Kavvz

'chan5',

I will PM you my method very soon with all costs. I am very busy on some Church ilumination matters till 12th of this month.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

...I never buy paints I buy the required ingredients from bangstall Street Pettah and mix them by my self. If I go to buy I need large quantities of paint. Wall paint interior and external (weather shield) for my requirements.

If you want I can help yo to do that method .If it is small quantity it is OK to buy ready mix paints,or from HIT advertisements these days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

And 'Sylvi' : Thank you for being honest. Even though I personally wouldn't mix my own paints, and like some of the other members state would rather just buy something pre-made, it doesn't mean that your mix isn't better / works better for you.

Kudos to you for developing the technical skills to mix up your own paint; as well as for being straight forward and honest enough to offer up the methodology for other members to try it out if interested.

Edited by Kavvz

And 'Sylvi' : Thank you for being honest. Even though I personally wouldn't mix my own paints, and like some of the other members state would rather just buy something pre-made, it doesn't mean that your mix isn't better / works better for you.

Kudos to you for developing the technical skills to mix up your own paint; as well as for being straight forward and honest enough to offer up the methodology for other members to try it out if interested.

'Kavvz',

Can give the Ingredients for mixing paint I do not hide any thing. I do two types.

Outside I use very cheap LIME as the base compound, with a good binder, Inside I mix with calcium carbonate. and a good binder.

Even in my technical business. I allays educate the customer before undertaking a job.

There is nothing to hide today. You log in to the Web then you can get all information what you want.

I do not want to mention on paint mixing on this Automobile Forum. Because I have been warned not go off topic.

By the authorities of the forum. If a member requests I will Pm him all details.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi