• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle Transferring And Registration Procedure

zareekz

• 10 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I think this may help someone who is doing a vehicle transfer. If you have gone through a provincial change ie. WP to CP make sure that you get this "No-badi patha" (Don’t know the English term for this), faxed from the relative WP office to CP revenue license issuing office. They will ignore this unless you keep on bugging them. Happened to me when I went to Kandy office to renew my revenue license. I had all the documents in hand except this "No-badi patha", the lady there told me that they cannot issue the new revenue license without it. I saw couple of guys being sent back because they also didn’t had this document with them. However they faxed a letter informing the relative WP office to hand over the "No-badi patha" and advised me to keep on bugging them, because usually they will not fax it back on the same day. I kept on calling them and luckily they had faxed it to the CP office before 3 PM. So if you are going to get the revenue license in one day make sure that they fax it, otherwise you may have to come back on another day.

Edited by asrock
  • Like 1

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I think this may help someone who is doing a vehicle transfer. If you have gone through a provincial change ie. WP to CP make sure that you get this "No-badi patha" (Don’t know the English term for this), faxed from the relative WP office to CP revenue license issuing office. They will ignore this unless you keep on bugging them. Happened to me when I went to Kandy office to renew my revenue license. I had all the documents in hand except this "No-badi patha", the lady there told me that they cannot issue the new revenue license without it. I saw couple of guys being sent back because they also didn’t had this document with them. However they faxed a letter informing the relative WP office to hand over the "No-badi patha" and advised me to keep on bugging them, because usually they will not fax it back on the same day. I kept on calling them and luckily they had faxed it to the CP office before 3 PM. So if you are going to get the revenue license in one day make sure that they fax it, otherwise you may have to come back on another day.

It's called a "Loose slip"

Owner doesn't have to be present for normal service. New owner must be present for oneday service.

Is the no objection letter and owners ID copy required for normal service. I sold my pickup few months back didnt give a no objection letter fellow had managed to transfer it also.

• 7 months later...

Guys!

Sorry to bring up an old post..

I need some help.. Recently we bought our first car and I need to do the transfer. I have the MTA6 copies signed by the previous owner.

My dad will be the new owner. There is no space to fill the forms with full names. do we need to fill it in full names? We have to go for a normal transfer.

Do we still need an No objection letter? what will the transfer cost? and do we need the ID copy of the previous owner signed by a JP? and can i go to handover the docs, or should my dad be there?

Please advice me as I have no idea how this is done.

Thanx in advance!

For the normal transfer you dont need those as long as you have signed the MTA6 by all parties, if only one day transfer you need all those ID's n letters of the previous owner. (correct me if m wrong here).

think you can go so long as your father has completed all the documentation.

• Like 1

Guys!

Sorry to bring up an old post..

I need some help.. Recently we bought our first car and I need to do the transfer. I have the MTA6 copies signed by the previous owner.

My dad will be the new owner.

There is no space to fill the forms with full names. do we need to fill it in full names? We have to go for a normal transfer.

Do we still need an No objection letter? what will the transfer cost? and do we need the ID copy of the previous owner signed by a JP? and can i go to handover the docs, or should my dad be there?

Please advice me as I have no idea how this is done.

Thanx in advance!

There is no space to fill the forms with full names. do we need to fill it in full names?

Better to fill in the full name. If the boxes are not enough, just use available space on the form

We have to go for a normal transfer.

Do we still need an No objection letter?

Not required for normal transfer. They will notify the current owner by post and if the current owner has an objection, he can respond within 21 days. If no response, the transfer will go thru.

what will the transfer cost?

Check here: http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=125〈=en

and do we need the ID copy of the previous owner signed by a JP?

Not necessary for normal transfer

and can i go to handover the docs, or should my dad be there?

You can handover the docs if its normal transfer. If its one-day transfer, your dad must go

• Like 4

Thank you both for the quick replies :)

There is no space to fill the forms with full names. do we need to fill it in full names?

Better to fill in the full name. If the boxes are not enough, just use available space on the form

We have to go for a normal transfer.

Do we still need an No objection letter?

Not required for normal transfer. They will notify the current owner by post and if the current owner has an objection, he can respond within 21 days. If no response, the transfer will go thru.

what will the transfer cost?

Check here: http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=125〈=en

and do we need the ID copy of the previous owner signed by a JP?

Not necessary for normal transfer

and can i go to handover the docs, or should my dad be there?

You can handover the docs if its normal transfer. If its one-day transfer, your dad must go

Thank you for the detailed information bro! :mosking:

Small update: Today I went and found that we no longer have to leave the floor to find the bank to pay. There's a small People's bank counter setup in the car registration space. Very convenient.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Appreciate some advice on the following please:

I bought my vehicle on a lease from a bank several years ago.

The lease was paid up and finished, a couple of years ago.

At that time, I got both the reg certificate and a letter from the bank stating they are no longer interested in the vehicle etc.

The reg certificate stated the absolute owner as the bank and current owner as I.

I was supposed to go to the RMV and get this changed.

Somehow it got postponed and I completely forgot about it.

How important is it to make the above name changes ?

(Am still using the vehicle and do not intend to sell it in the near future).

What are the negative consequences if any that I may be faced with if I don't change the names in a hurry ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So this "NO-BADI PATHA", how do we get it before going to update the revenue license? what do you mean by relevent WP office (is there only 1 office in the western province that can issue a nobadi patha?) In that case can we call the relevant WP office and tell them to fax it to us without going through the CP office?

Appreciate some advice on the following please:

I bought my vehicle on a lease from a bank several years ago.

The lease was paid up and finished, a couple of years ago.

At that time, I got both the reg certificate and a letter from the bank stating they are no longer interested in the vehicle etc.

The reg certificate stated the absolute owner as the bank and current owner as I.

I was supposed to go to the RMV and get this changed.

Somehow it got postponed and I completely forgot about it.

How important is it to make the above name changes ?

(Am still using the vehicle and do not intend to sell it in the near future).

What are the negative consequences if any that I may be faced with if I don't change the names in a hurry ?

Thanks

I too have a vehicle in the same context. I think I got the deletion letter from the bank in 2014 but didn't go to RMV. No plans to sell either.

I heard somewhere there's a penalty involved but am not too sure. May be we'll just hv to go to RMV and find out.

When I bought my first vehicle, the 1st owner of that vehicle just gave me the book, the deletion letter from his finance company which was a few months old and the MTA6 forms, I had no issues in getting the transfer done, even if the AO deletion letter was an older one. This was in 2008.

• 4 years later...