• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Unable To Start The Car Properly...

RoughRider

Hi Guys,

My car is a Nissan N16 (manual) & I've been experiencing this issue for a couple of weeks now. When I insert the key & rotate, it does give a click sound but the car doesn't start ( The dashboard turns up without a problem )

Interestingly, when I press the door button & bring the shutter down I'm able to start the car with a single attempt !!!

There's no issue with the battery & would you be able to give possible reasons for this and how much would it cost me to get the job done??

CHEERS.

Rumesh88,

Can you explain (retro-fitted) to a vehicle, how that system will effect the starting of the engine?

I hope you will not misunderstand my post.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi you are perfectly OK with your curiosity. My point is that you can disable an engine in an unusual manner with a security system which has probably gone wrong. Now the original post is somewhat strange isn't it? Isn't more logical to think of a security system that has gone wrong than trying to visualize how a shutter movement can have an effect on starting of an engine?

Rumesh88,

Thank you for your post.With your valuable electronics knowledge.

Yes the cheap security systems some have unthinkable characteristics

A few years back in the night at about 9 PM. I came across an automatic fluid drive car, which was immobilized near the Air force headquarters. Fixed that afternoon.

Due A/F security system immobilizes the car. At last he had to load the car to a car carrier to take same to the person who fitted that security unit.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

"...I came across an automatic fluid drive car, which was immobilized near the Air force headquarters. Fixed that afternoon.

Due A/F security system immobilizes the car....."

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

What exactly do you mean "Sylvi" when you refer to the car in question as an "automatic fluid drive car" in your previous post? Are you referring to a car with this type of transmission? (see: Fluid Drive) If so, that's pretty interesting. What make and model year was the car?

Hi Guys,

My car is a Nissan N16 (manual) & I've been experiencing this issue for a couple of weeks now. When I insert the key & rotate, it does give a click sound but the car doesn't start ( The dashboard turns up without a problem )

Interestingly, when I press the door button & bring the shutter down I'm able to start the car with a single attempt !!!

There's no issue with the battery & would you be able to give possible reasons for this and how much would it cost me to get the job done??

CHEERS.

Do the dash lights dim or go out when you try to start? You battery might be fine, but have you checked for build up of residue at the terminals?

Did this problem suddenly start or was it there from the time you purchased it..if it suddenly started what changes did you do it just prior to the problem...if it was present from the inception the previous owner might have done something best you give him a ring...also check for any aftermarket mods your car is carrying immobilizer, alarm etc etc unhook the fuses and check...

May be it is not the operation of the power shutter but the time delay involved in bringing it down. Do you observe any unusual alarm/fault indicators appearing and going off in the dash board during this starting process?

What exactly do you mean "Sylvi" when you refer to the car in question as an "automatic fluid drive car" in your previous post? Are you referring to a car with this type of transmission? (see: Fluid Drive) If so, that's pretty interesting. What make and model year was the car?

'Kavvz',

'Kavvz',

For your question, I meant by fluid drive, is torque converter. Good old days almost all motorists call this as fluid drive. I remember double deck buses in 1950 era had Pre selected gear boxes.Lanchester and Crysler cars had fluid drive if I am not mistaken.

Therefore I being old school technician I still use that term for auto Vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Appreciate all your comments mates....

Well, I bought the car couple of years back & inserted a security system during that time. I had no major issue during this period of time (Though I experienced a sudden unlocking followed by a halt in the engine a few times & got the problem fixed with the same guy who installed the system)

All this drama started once I forgot to switch off the headlights during daytime accidentally. Had to jump start the vehicle since the battery got weakened & it gave rise to this start-up issue. I changed my battery recently but the problem got worse & now I'm not being able to start my car even with this shutter up & down gimmick!!!

I'm looking for a good electrical guy to solve the matter & pls. share your opinion to avoid this kind of stuff in the future.

CHEERS.

'Kavvz',

'Kavvz',

For your question, I meant by fluid drive, is torque converter. Good old days almost all motorists call this as fluid drive. I remember double deck buses in 1950 era had Pre selected gear boxes.Lanchester and Crysler cars had fluid drive if I am not mistaken.

Therefore I being old school technician I still use that term for auto Vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I see: Thanks for clearing that up.

Appreciate all your comments mates....

Well, I bought the car couple of years back & inserted a security system during that time. I had no major issue during this period of time (Though I experienced a sudden unlocking followed by a halt in the engine a few times & got the problem fixed with the same guy who installed the system)

All this drama started once I forgot to switch off the headlights during daytime accidentally. Had to jump start the vehicle since the battery got weakened & it gave rise to this start-up issue. I changed my battery recently but the problem got worse & now I'm not being able to start my car even with this shutter up & down gimmick!!!

I'm looking for a good electrical guy to solve the matter & pls. share your opinion to avoid this kind of stuff in the future.

CHEERS.

Your explanation clears up many things.It is most likely that the security system is misbehaving and immobilizing the car in an unusual manner. Best option is to get the same guy who installed the system to correct the issue. I get the feeling that one or more connections to the security system has come off (Or the security system was blown up when the car was jump started) and the system is now get reset through some other return path.

Your explanation clears up many things.It is most likely that the security system is misbehaving and immobilizing the car in an unusual manner. Best option is to get the same guy who installed the system to correct the issue. I get the feeling that one or more connections to the security system has come off (Or the security system was blown up when the car was jump started) and the system is now get reset through some other return path.

Rumesh, could it not also be that the battery change has affected the saved settings in the system and this window gimmick might be the override?

did you use a higher capacity battery when you jump started it??? does it work if you take off the fuse for the security system?

YALA',

HI capacity (Amperage) battery do not harm the 12 volts electrical system of a motor vehicle.

Battery capacity is the storage amount is measured in amperes. if you use wrong polarity. Then the alternator and electronic system can get effected.

So if any one is using a jump start, should use correct polarity. When connecting the external battery.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Rumesh, could it not also be that the battery change has affected the saved settings in the system and this window gimmick might be the override?

Yes Don it is possible. You have all sorts of electrical noise generated in an engine which are not very healthy for electronics inside. (Something that always bothers me is how to ensure the integrity of the grounding system in a vehicle to keep the electrical noise level down to an acceptable level. We sometimes take measures to reduce noise but only if it blasts through your audio). Best approach to solve this issue is to bring the vehicle to its original condition by removing (I mean electrically) the security system and then see if the car is OK and work backwards to see what caused the problem.