• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fixing Reverse Sensors

Eurofan

Guys,

Could any one recommend a good place that would be able to fit on a customer supplied reverse sensor kit on to a car? I bought a reverse sensor kit on ebay for around LKR 2,000 (as opposed to 8,000 LKR charged by most places) and need to know a reputable place that i could get it fitted on.

FYI: My DYI skills are poor

Cheers

Most of the car audio places will do the job for you. But make sure you discuss the total cost before the job as you may end up paying some insaine charges just for fixxing. Please avoid ad#ance c#r au#io as both myself and komi had real bad deals with them when it comes to labour charges. Can recommend Bara sterio Dehiwala or Pet#o.

Try Advanced car audio Dehiwala most of these audio places do these.

Machan , hope you havent read my post . If you want to be rip off, just go there!. In my case they asked me to pay Rs7000, just to fix a taiwan 12v relay to head light wiring when fixing Hid. I asked the reason for the cost . There answere was that, they tap the lines comming out from ECU and its bit risky to get lines from ECU plus some aditional bullshit. The funny part of the story is that , my car doesnt have an ECU and i knew the cost of the relay before. So they just reduced the price to 3000rs after hearing the ECU story. :) I dont know whether its just happened to myself and komi purely because we are in a feild where majority of our colleagues have limited knowledge on car related stuff.
  • Like 2

Machan , hope you havent read my post . If you want to be rip off, just go there!. In my case they asked me to pay Rs7000, just to fix a taiwan 12v relay to head light wiring when fixing Hid. I asked the reason for the cost . There answere was that, they tap the lines comming out from ECU and its bit risky to get lines from ECU plus some aditional bullshit. The funny part of the story is that , my car doesnt have an ECU and i knew the cost of the relay before. So they just reduced the price to 3000rs after hearing the ECU story. :) I dont know whether its just happened to myself and komi purely because we are in a feild where majority of our colleagues have limited knowledge on car related stuff.

To be honest these guys sounds like a bunch of rip off merchants. I got my stereo installed by Pet#o last may and they charged me a reasonable Rs.1200.

Thanks guys. Will probably go to Pet#o or Arabian motors for the job if so

Highly recommend you go to Rexton Car audio nearby arabian motors.near the firebridge.charges are reasonable and quite silent genuine fellow runs the place. (Ruwan or something).

If you've some more bucks to bust , yes arabian motors within 50M from the place i mentioned:)/>.

Edited by chan5

• 2 years later...

I believe if you improve DIY skills step by step, you can do more in very soon. To start get some tools like

• A screw driver
  • 10mm, 12mm wrench

and try to do very small job first. Like changing a license plate lamp.

The installation manual of reverse sensor kit must provide all necessary info. (Really the auto electricians too learn by it). First thing is trust yourself & your skills. Start the job in a holiday morning. You can complete the job at most in the evening. :mosking:

Good luck.

• Like 1

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Has anyone done this reverse sensor installation recently? Any recommendations. Checked with Sun Lanka and Pet#o there is a slight price difference between them. Just wondering if there are any more places ?

The technical part of it is quite easy, you have a main controller box to which 4 sensors (or 2 depending on the unit) is connected. The control box is generally fixed towards the right tail light on the inside of the boot. The input signal is taken from the reverse light.

The hard part is actually drilling the bumper in the right place and doing a neat job without messing it up.

If you have no experience doing this sort of thing i would advice against it since the drill holes in the bumper are permanents, you don't want to mess up your bumper.

Sun Lanka unit is pretty good, i have it installed on both cars.

Previously i got an el-cheepo unit from ebay got it fixed by my electrician. But I found it to be wildly inaccurate and was damn slow to update the distance.

The extra cost is worth it IMO.

Alternatively if you have a AV capable headunit fitting a night vision reverse cam is actually cheaper than reverse sensors.

• Like 2

I believe if you improve DIY skills step by step, you can do more in very soon. To start get some tools like
  • A screw driver
  • 10mm, 12mm wrench

and try to do very small job first. Like changing a license plate lamp.

The installation manual of reverse sensor kit must provide all necessary info. (Really the auto electricians too learn by it). First thing is trust yourself & your skills. Start the job in a holiday morning. You can complete the job at most in the evening. :mosking:

Good luck.

Thanks mate. I'm a total noob in terms of the car as this is my first car. I'm sure I'll mess up the paint and leave it with more dents :D So I'd take my time to gradually improve my DIY skills. Thanks for the reply :)

The technical part of it is quite easy, you have a main controller box to which 4 sensors (or 2 depending on the unit) is connected. The control box is generally fixed towards the right tail light on the inside of the boot. The input signal is taken from the reverse light.

The hard part is actually drilling the bumper in the right place and doing a neat job without messing it up.

If you have no experience doing this sort of thing i would advice against it since the drill holes in the bumper are permanents, you don't want to mess up your bumper.

Sun Lanka unit is pretty good, i have it installed on both cars.

Previously i got an el-cheepo unit from ebay got it fixed by my electrician. But I found it to be wildly inaccurate and was damn slow to update the distance.

The extra cost is worth it IMO.

Alternatively if you have a AV capable headunit fitting a night vision reverse cam is actually cheaper than reverse sensors.

I thought so. Quality comes with a price. Thanks for clarifying it. Since there are more con artists, taking a precaution. I think I'll get it done at Sun Lanka coming weeks. :) Thanks again.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="rayman" data-cid="282318" data-time="1441368357"><p>

On the same topic, are there any discrete reverse sensors? I don't like to have little black dots in my body coloured bumper! :) Most of the after market sensor cannot be painted on, from what i've heard. </p></blockquote>

There is white, black and grey colour sensors. Red is also there but very rare here in sl. If you have any other paint color doubt there is an alternative

• 7 months later...

Guys,

The LCD StealMate (S*N L*A) display unit of the reverse sensor cum camera fitted to my car stopped working. Seems that the company does not bring down spare parts anymore. According to them, the reverse sensor signals also processed by the said LCD display, so there is no luck of using a normal LCD display.

Has anyone encountered this problem and solved using an substitute display?

Thanks