• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Insurance Claim - Consequence Of Telling Truth

abiman

Hello,

I thought of sharing one incident happened to me today with S*i L**ka Ins…. Company.

Last night when I came home at around 1:00 AM night, driver side mirror of my car hit one of concrete beams and broke. Since it was too late I didn’t called insurance that time. (my bad). I called insurance company at about 7:30am next day and told what happened. They asked me to get a police report and estimate and then come and show car to them before repair.

Simply they asked me to drive car to garage with broken mirror and then to their office (16km) So I explained them I don’t want to drive car illegally without proper mirror which is dangerous to me as well as others. Then they told me to get estimate and police report.

Later I found, to get police report, it takes about week, (I didn’t knew that earlier) so I’m supposed to keep car in home and use other method of transport next week. Then I called lady again and explained this is just broken mirror and please send somebody so I can finish repair this weekend until police report is ready.

Lady told me they can’t do that because I haven’t called them as soon as accident happened and I have to follow the legal path. So I learned my lesson for telling truth.

Now Hypothetically following could happen with some one else :)

1. Get car repaired and keep broken mirror.

2. call insurance and tell don’t want claim and show them repaired car, (because already told insurance what happened.)

3. re-fix broken mirror in a month and call them and tell them just broke mirror!!!

4. then probably: no police reports, no estimates,

:)

Edited by abiman

The mistake you made is not calling them then and there. They rag the hell out of you (asking for police reports and estimates and what not) if you don't report the incident as soon as it occured.

A very similar incident happened to a friend of mine and he even had to submit a letter to SLIC stating the reason for getting late to report the incident.

Hello,

I thought of sharing one incident happened to me today with S*i L**ka Ins…. Company.

Last night when I came home at around 1:00 AM night, driver side mirror of my car hit one of concrete beams and broke. Since it was too late I didn’t called insurance that time. (my bad).

<SNIP>

Actually you learn the lesson for procrastination. Anyway, I suggest writing a letter to them. Even if a claim doesn't work out, you may still be able to keep that in records.

Yup, always happened "just now". I don't like doing it, but the insurance appraisers know of it and they won't (usually) create an issue about the legitimacy of your claim. I had to do it once, but it was just a fender bender. Also, when you call SLIC immediately after the accident, they will send over an appraiser and you can avoid getting the police involved. There was a time when I had 3 accidents within the span of 4 months, and I didn't have to file a police report at any time.

Edited by terrabytetango

Once I had a minor accident on my way to work at 8 AM or so. I just called SLIC and asked them to send someone to my office after 3 PM. They took all the details and obliged to my request. Didn't have any issue with the claim. You can always ask them to send someone in the morning. The appraiser will be more than happy to do that.

• Like 1

the reason why they behave like this is because some people try get claims for false accident

and nowadays all the companies are like that, but with small companies like peoples insurance you can get the excuse

so good lesson to everyone

i think still they will pay your claim, and in case of an issue go and meet the manager directly

Some insurance companies allow you to take pictures and send the appraiser later if you can't wait. I had 3 claims over last few months with MB** Insurance and no issues with them. But you have to call when the incident happens. If didn't call, when you calling in next day tell them that it is happen just now.

Or inform the accident in midnight and ask the appraiser to come next day.

Hello,

Last night when I came home at around 1:00 AM night, driver side mirror of my car hit one of concrete beams and broke. Since it was too late I didn’t called insurance that time. (my bad). I called insurance company at about 7:30am next day and told what happened. They asked me to get a police report and estimate and then come and show car to them before repair.

Simply they asked me to drive car to garage with broken mirror and then to their office (16km) So I explained them I don’t want to drive car illegally without proper mirror which is dangerous to me as well as others. Then they told me to get estimate and police report.

Later I found, to get police report, it takes about week, (I didn’t knew that earlier) so I’m supposed to keep car in home and use other method of transport next week. Then I called lady again and explained this is just broken mirror and please send somebody so I can finish repair this weekend until police report is ready.

Lady told me they can’t do that because I haven’t called them as soon as accident happened and I have to follow the legal path. So I learned my lesson for telling truth.

Now Hypothetically following could happen with some one else :)

1. Get car repaired and keep broken mirror.

2. call insurance and tell don’t want claim and show them repaired car, (because already told insurance what happened.)

3. re-fix broken mirror in a month and call them and tell them just broke mirror!!!

4. then probably: no police reports, no estimates,

:)

Buddy, you can do this, make sure you don't get the same appraiser. Call the insurance when you go outstation. Don't tell it's a hit and run. They will ask for police reports. Show a telephone post or a wall or a tree.

Guys

Do you know why a decent citizen like Abiman has to go through unwanted trouble just because he reported the incident in the morning and did not bother to lie to the insurer? As Priyankara has very correctly stated there are so many false claims the insurer has to face on a daily basis. BOTTOM LINE - If you live in a country where law is not enforced (not that there are no laws in this country!) do not expect fair deal from your insurance. Do you know that the premium that you pay includes the insurer's risk in having to deal with bogus claims? You pay more because there are others who make false claims and the law enforcing authorities keep a blind eye. There is one thing I always tell whenever insurance agents approach me - "Insurance is not viable practice in a lawless country". The last thing I want to do is to denounce my motherland in this manner but my own experience compels me to do so. (I have worked as an insurance loss adjuster in a few cases and learned the art hard way)

I happened to work abroad for sometime in the ME where false claims are unheard of because the legal framework is made to take care of it. No repair workshop would undertake accident repairs without a certificate from the police. You are not allowed to drive your vehicle with body damage unless you have a report from the police with you. Even if the defaulting party has 3rd party insurance you get paid without having to wait for the legal process to complete. There were strict laws but for the long years of my stay there I was stopped only once by the police and that too just to check my ID for I was driving on a HW just past mid-night. Once my car was hit while it was parked in a parking lot. Believe me, I did not even see the vehicle nor the driver who did the damage, but his 3rd party insurance cover paid me to repair my car without any hassle. All this was done in a language I could not read, write or speak!!!!

So if you want justice in this country RISE UP.

• Like 2

Members,

All this hassle is to avoid the bogus claims. Because one leading Insurance company pionered this accident claim to be complained immediately. Earlier it was a long procedure, accident has to be reported to the Police.Thereafter a copy of the statement and the claims forms to be filled.

This bogus Claiming was going for a long time as far as I can remember. I do not want to embarrass the car owners there are some Automobile owners who come to me to get my services, also try to claim more from the Insurance company for my service also.

Cannot believe some are very well to do Motorists in very high society business people. There are some insurance appraisers too are corrupt. They ring me and inform I have directed a party do keep my commission and do the job.

Some Insurance companies have very good Engineers they visit me personally. They introduce them self and discuss the prevailing commission going on in their establishment and overestimating by the Automobile owners.

Some have requested, To contact them directly, before giving an estimate. To discuss the quotation before estimating they are always honest, never request a commission. Always try to negotiate the charges to be fair by both parties. To the company advantage and do very reasonable, according to the time taken for the job not to be a loss for me. ( To the company and to me) approve the estimate.

I think we are living in a cunning society. I know none Marine insurance company in Japan went bankrupt. Due to our Automobile importers claimed exorbitant amounts from that company with the help of Sri lankan Insurance appraisers.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we are living in a cunning society. I know none Marine insurance company in Japan went bankrupt. Due to our Automobile importers claimed exorbitant amounts from that company with the help of Sri lankan Insurance appraisers.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Aren't we proud of this! This is what we are famous for. After all our guys must have earned much needed foreign exchange from Japan. :speechless-smiley-004:

Guys

Do you know why a decent citizen like Abiman has to go through unwanted trouble just because he reported the incident in the morning and did not bother to lie to the insurer? As Priyankara has very correctly stated there are so many false claims the insurer has to face on a daily basis. BOTTOM LINE - If you live in a country where law is not enforced (not that there are no laws in this country!) do not expect fair deal from your insurance. Do you know that the premium that you pay includes the insurer's risk in having to deal with bogus claims? You pay more because there are others who make false claims and the law enforcing authorities keep a blind eye. There is one thing I always tell whenever insurance agents approach me - "Insurance is not viable practice in a lawless country". The last thing I want to do is to denounce my motherland in this manner but my own experience compels me to do so. (I have worked as an insurance loss adjuster in a few cases and learned the art hard way)

I happened to work abroad for sometime in the ME where false claims are unheard of because the legal framework is made to take care of it. No repair workshop would undertake accident repairs without a certificate from the police. You are not allowed to drive your vehicle with body damage unless you have a report from the police with you. Even if the defaulting party has 3rd party insurance you get paid without having to wait for the legal process to complete. There were strict laws but for the long years of my stay there I was stopped only once by the police and that too just to check my ID for I was driving on a HW just past mid-night. Once my car was hit while it was parked in a parking lot. Believe me, I did not even see the vehicle nor the driver who did the damage, but his 3rd party insurance cover paid me to repair my car without any hassle. All this was done in a language I could not read, write or speak!!!!

So if you want justice in this country RISE UP.

The situation in the ME seems to be a bit better than the situation in Europe. Here we have an epidemic of "Crash for Cash" and "Personnel injury claims" causing havoc in the motor insurance industry driving premiums up. The first is where a vehicle crashes onto another vehicle deliberately and then claim off the other vehicles insurer for personal injury (mostly whiplash) which is very hard to diagnose or dispute. Then there has been a general rise in personal injury claims and the legal fees associated with them. These factors have nearly doubled motor insurance premiums in the last couple of years.

The situation in the ME seems to be a bit better than the situation in Europe. Here we have an epidemic of "Crash for Cash" and "Personnel injury claims" causing havoc in the motor insurance industry driving premiums up. The first is where a vehicle crashes onto another vehicle deliberately and then claim off the other vehicles insurer for personal injury (mostly whiplash) which is very hard to diagnose or dispute. Then there has been a general rise in personal injury claims and the legal fees associated with them. These factors have nearly doubled motor insurance premiums in the last couple of years.

Interesting how things happen in other parts of the world. As for the injury claims in the ME, it is taken care of by the Sharia law which imposes a specific cash value for ones life called "blood money" (Must be a rough translation for the Arabic word). Let's say if the value is 100,000.00 Riyals, the medical officer of the hospital decides a percentage based on the severity of the injury. If the person succumbs to the injuries the next of kin is awarded a sum of 100,000.00. May sound weird for some but it is a simple mechanism isn't it? However, do not ever expect this kind of a simple mechanisms in SL. It is out of complications in the legal procedures that the lawyers here make a living. Ha ha ha!!!

Interesting how things happen in other parts of the world. As for the injury claims in the ME, it is taken care of by the Sharia law which imposes a specific cash value for ones life called "blood money" (Must be a rough translation for the Arabic word). Let's say if the value is 100,000.00 Riyals, the medical officer of the hospital decides a percentage based on the severity of the injury. If the person succumbs to the injuries the next of kin is awarded a sum of 100,000.00. May sound weird for some but it is a simple mechanism isn't it? However, do not ever expect this kind of a simple mechanisms in SL. It is out of complications in the legal procedures that the lawyers here make a living. Ha ha ha!!!

The problem is Whiplash is a bit like hurt feelings. Near impossible to quantify and establish, yes also near impossible to dispute.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me tell you guys a funny story.

One of me good friends had his car struck in the middle of the road one night. Being quite helpless with no one and the engine being stubborn as ever , he called the insurance guys, to check whether he can get some roadside assistance. Yes, correct insurance turned down saying that they have only the basic equip and advised him to tow the car to the agent.

Next morning the car is dismantled and the technos find that the car is attcked by a rodent. As it is a natural disaster he calls the insurance guys, whom reply to him that he needs to go to the police station and lodge an entry saying that the car was damaged by a rodent. So , the innocent person my friend is , asks the insurance guy whom to be named as the plaintiff? The mouse????? This learnered representative continously mentions that unless he receives a copy of the entry "nothing doing".

So, my friend goes to the police station and states that he needs to lodge an entry about the rodent messing with the car and the whole station erupts in to laughter. They become so polite to ask the name , address and the ID no of the mouse as well :)... My friend being the butt of jokes of the hour again calls the insurance guy who as a dumb oaf refuses to honor the claim without an entry. he says "i don't care how you do it, but get it done".

Finally , one of his colleagues manages to pull some strong strings and forces the police station to write an entry on a car they never even knew existed, and the entry copy is released and thus the claim being honored.

This is a 100% true story. I don't want to name the company here, but it is one of the two biggest motor insurers in the country once owned by a tycoon, who got in to a mega mess afterwards.

This is the plight of us poor motorists.

Finally , one of his colleagues manages to pull some strong strings and forces the police station to write an entry on a car they never even knew existed, and the entry copy is released and thus the claim being honored.

A copy of that entry against the rodent (if that was the case), would be priceless! :P

This is a 100% true story. I don't want to name the company here, but it is one of the two biggest motor insurers in the country once owned by a tycoon, who got in to a mega mess afterwards.

This is the plight of us poor motorists.

Thanks for sharing the experience. Jokes apart, I wonder if my current policy covers damage by the rodents (Rodent cover, perhaps a new peril) and would have to think how to get a police report. Not everyone has a friend in the police hierarchy! Should I declare to my insurer that my carport is open to the road-front and there is every possibility for a creature sneak in? This world is getting too complicated to live in. Can someone from insurance industry please advise?

Thanks for sharing the experience. Jokes apart, I wonder if my current policy covers damage by the rodents (Rodent cover, perhaps a new peril) and would have to think how to get a police report. Not everyone has a friend in the police hierarchy! Should I declare to my insurer that my carport is open to the road-front and there is every possibility for a creature sneak in? This world is getting too complicated to live in. Can someone from insurance industry please advise?

I did a bit of research my self. This falls under the natural perils cover and hence you must be covered under this. But pls reconfirm from your insurer.