• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo Night Race 2012

Andrew_GTR

Hi guys, the Colombo Night Race has been confirmed for the 14th and 15th of December. Carlton Motor Sports Club are the hosts for the night and they released the track layout and spectator stands and pricing. Just sharing with you all... The track layout for Colombo Night Race... 4km in the heart of Colombo with some very fast straights... The main car events for the night are - INTERNATIONAL EVENTS 1. FIA Homologated GT3 & GT4 Supercars (Lamborghini, Porsche, Lotus and Nissan), 2. Toyota Etios One Make, 3. VW Polo R Cup One make. SRI LANKAN EVENTS 1. SL-GT upto 3500cc, 2. SL-H Honda, 3. Formula Mclarens 1300.

Any idea about the parking situ? Opposite Galle Face (The Shangri La spot?) might not be available this year considering the cars will be running through that area.

Will check machang... i was told that even the Paddocks are in an area close to the Krrish development site and not away from the track like last year.. it will be a better/run setup for sure... the authorities would have learned from last year... either way, when i do get more info i will post it here :D

I heard this year only three Sri Lankan car events and three bike events. Correct?

MINIACE

Yup the 3 sri lankan car events i have mentioned above and as for Bikes it is - Upto 1000cc open, 125 Racing, Super Motard Open... The car events will be around 12 - 15 laps each race and for the International cars there will be 2 races... Carlton Motor Sports Club aim is to start at 7pm and finish by 1am latest from what i was told...

I heard this year only three Sri Lankan car events and three bike events. Correct?

MINIACE

Its really sad how the organizers have no regard for other racing drivers & their events. Shows how much they care about the sport in this country

• Like 1

Its really sad how the organizers have no regard for other racing drivers & their events. Shows how much they care about the sport in this country

Care to elaborate a bit please. Are you upset with the fact that there aren't too many events in the agenda for local races? or is this event overlapping with another local racing event?

Care to elaborate a bit please. Are you upset with the fact that there aren't too many events in the agenda for local races? or is this event overlapping with another local racing event?

The organizers have given only 3 events for the local drivers namely Formula Mc Larens, SLH1600 & SLGT.

All the drivers from the remaining events have no choice or say with regard to it. Out of the three classes run SLH1600 & SLGT are the two most expensive classes to run so not everyone can afford that

Instead of running 15 - 20 laps on all events now they could have lesser laps & squeezed in SLN 1500/SLS1500, 1050 Modified/Mini7, Laser 1300 & 1500, Standard 1000/Subaru Legacy run together. its just 4 more events & we would be more than happy if we got about 4 laps per event.

• Like 4

I kind agree with CP actually..

Fine its a "night race"; but there's no harm if you keep the highlight events for the night and run some of the less prestigious low key races throughout the afternoon/evening. The road/track is going to be prepared anyway. So besides some extra administrative work, i dont see a valid reason to limit it to the few races they have planned.

• Like 3

News

Night races extended; problems for top hotels

Colombo’s night motor races this year will see local and foreign riders racing through extended routes but the event is also driving away guests from five-star hotels.

That includes those who have planned weddings, home comings and other events, some of which have had to be cancelled. The reason for this, according to Anura Lokuhetti, past president of the Hoteliers Association, is the “absence of an events calendar.” He said both tourists and those organising events at five-star hotels would know how to plan their itineraries if such a calendar existed.

NightRaceGraphic-300x209.jpg

City Hotels Association President M. Shanthikumar said night races would draw tourists who enjoyed adventure sports, but as they were being held near five-star hotels they should be announced at least a year before.

“At the end of the inaugural night race last year, there were many complaints from those who had their weddings and other functions at night. The guests were unable to move out or come in for long hours,” he said.

He said that following discussions, it was decided to have several intervals between the races so that the roads would be open to the public, including guests in hotels.

This year, qualifying races will be held on December 14, from 7 p.m. and the finals on December 15 from 7 p.m.�Among the hotels that have warned their clients about the races and the road closures are Galadari, Continental and Hilton.

An official of the Hotel Galadari said they had advised guests that access would be difficult during the race nights.He said a wedding reception to be held on December 15 evening had been cancelled while guests had been told to come to the hotel before 5.30 p.m. on December 15.

An official of Hilton said they had advised guests to come at least three hours prior to an event while a Taj Hotel official said guests had been requested to take the side gate.The night races are being organised by the Carlton Sports and Tharunyata Hetak in which the President’s son, Namal, is a key figure.

In a statement, the organisers said they had decided to reduce �the number of events from 22 to 8 to ensure that the races would conclude at least by 1 a.m. so as to minimise inconvenience to people and the businesses in the area.

They said a subcommittee had also been appointed to overcome the problems they faced last year.

According to the organising committee, public roads in the vicinity will be open after every three events for half an hour for movement of hotel guests.

Last year, the race circuit began opposite Galadari Hotel on Lotus Road and ran towards Fort and took a left turn towards Chatham Street.

The drivers then took a right turn to Duke Street which runs towards Main Street opposite Gaffoor Building.

Then they turned left on Sir Baron Jayatilake Mawatha and drove past the Cargills Building on York Street.

The route then took a right turn to Bank of Ceylon Mawatha and towards Ceylon Continental Hotel and turned left towards the roundabout opposite Galadari Hotel where the lap was completed.

This year the track itself will be extended and will proceed along Galle Face Green up to the saluting stand near Hotel Taj.

Quote The Sunday Times, November 04, 2012

MINIACE

The organizers have given only 3 events for the local drivers namely Formula Mc Larens, SLH1600 & SLGT.

All the drivers from the remaining events have no choice or say with regard to it. Out of the three classes run SLH1600 & SLGT are the two most expensive classes to run so not everyone can afford that

Instead of running 15 - 20 laps on all events now they could have lesser laps & squeezed in SLN 1500/SLS1500, 1050 Modified/Mini7, Laser 1300 & 1500, Standard 1000/Subaru Legacy run together. its just 4 more events & we would be more than happy if we got about 4 laps per event.

+1 bro.. this is so true.. we should at least have the laser event.. or another one make event for us less fortunate folk..

• Like 1

Totally agree with Chooti Putha. Im sure majority wants to see local cars than international.

MINIACE

Problem is the organizers dont wanna hear what the public & the race drivers want. They just want to do what they want. no consideration about the others or their views

MINIACE

They say they reduced from 22 races last year to 8 races this year to finish the race by 1am but they are actually running 9 & on top of it they are running more laps on a longer track than last year. 2 events each for the foreign races so the finishing early story is absolute crap.

They say they reduced from 22 races last year to 8 races this year to finish the race by 1am but they are actually running 9 & on top of it they are running more laps on a longer track than last year. 2 events each for the foreign races so the finishing early story is absolute crap.

The organizers are different this year, right?

It is a shame...The main objective of these events should be to promote local racing and local drivers.The Supercar and SLGT events are good and all but it is always the lower capacity events like the Minis and Lasers that put on a better show and close racing for the spectators.

Anyways the tax reduction for racing cars is a step in the right direction me thinks.But how long untill our aiyyala tika find a loophole and bring down 'racing Axios'....

Edited by MasterDon
  • Like 1

It is a shame...The main objective of these events should be to promote local racing and local drivers.The Supercar and SLGT events are good and all but it is always the lower capacity events like the Minis and Lasers that put on a better show and close racing for the spectators.

Anyways the tax reduction for racing cars is a step in the right direction me thinks.But how long untill our aiyyala tika find a loophole and bring down 'racing Axios'....

Unless someone brings down an Axio like this... (all it has common with an Axio is the name and the general body style)

COROLLA_AXIO_GT300.jpg

Edited by terrabytetango

bro the tax reduction will still not benifit a lot of people.. they should have tried to reduce the taxes on everyday vehicles so that the common man could afford a vehicle.. for us i know this seems like a good decision... but is this what the country needs?

bro the tax reduction will still not benifit a lot of people.. they should have tried to reduce the taxes on everyday vehicles so that the common man could afford a vehicle.. for us i know this seems like a good decision... but is this what the country needs?

My comment was from a race fan's point of view.Whether this last budget was a benefit to a common everyday car buyer is a whole another matter and should be discussed elsewhere.SL racing has been rotting in the same place for the last 30 or so years with outdated cars and facilities,This tax exemption will help our racing drivers get their hands on some proper state of the art machinery and make motorsport accessible to a lot more people rather than a wealthy few.And as long as it is not abused by our politicians and car importers I'm all for it.

• Like 2

My comment was from a race fan's point of view.Whether this last budget was a benefit to a common everyday car buyer is a whole another matter and should be discussed elsewhere.SL racing has been rotting in the same place for the last 30 or so years with outdated cars and facilities,This tax exemption will help our racing drivers get their hands on some proper state of the art machinery and make motorsport accessible to a lot more people rather than a wealthy few.And as long as it is not abused by our politicians and car importers I'm all for it.

i still think even with this exemption you need to be wealthy to actually get into it with a proper car and proper gear... my problem is that the statement is so vague even in the official script that this is going to be a private party for a few talentless bunch, instead of the true talent we have in SL.. just my thoughts..

• Like 1

Lets put this into perspective first. The amount of individuals that hold a SLAS approved license is limited.The amount of Single Seater cars that could possibly be brought into this country is also limited. Maybe 40 at the most in the coming year, compared to the thousands upon thousands brought in for the used/reconditioned car business. The amount of money that these concessions allow on the single seaters is not a high amount. You couldn't do anything with it. A basic Formula chassis from India, used and of later years, will cost maximum two million rupees right now. With the tax deduction your talking around a million. That million into forty cars is a pinch of salt for revenue lost. Compare that with a tax deduction in any other trade and you have your numbers. The amount of revenue generated per race meet, be it colombo or outstation, will be of a much greater value when more cars are available. Its the development of a Sports Section to generate profit and create awareness for the future. This is very much like the concessions allowed upon cricket in the early 90's to promote and elevate the game. That led us to a world cup and more school boy cricketers being able to purchase equipment to better themselves. Did you also know that last years Colombo Night Race was the largest ever event in Sri Lanka covered on Television? 300,000 spectators was the number given. That is data verified and proved. You can look at this in many angles but for those that don't truly know the costs, profit or development of a sport such at motorsport its easy to become a backseat driver. The gains of allowing this sport to become a mainstay outweigh the consequences in my opinion. Yes you can argue that other trades and projects should also have been a part of tax deductions etc etc but you cannot deny that for anything to develop in this country there has to be a start. For motorsport, we now have a chance. Without being critical about everything this country has or is striving to be, why can't a concession such as this be given to a small fraternity? I don't see a problem or issue. Its people that want to make a fuss about everything that highlighted this issue and have written/said all over their status's without truly knowing a thing.

Directly from the treasury website for the 2013 budget. Article 29.1 "I also propose to exempt go-carts and specially designed racing vehicles from the applicability of the Special Excise Provision Act to facilitate the availability of such instrument for such sports events."

If that be the case, how does it hurt for private entities to bring cars that are meant for the sole use of racing to Sr

i Lanka under a tax reduction? It would certainly help develop a sport in a country that used to have a rich heritage in the said sport. Look at India, Malaysia and even the Philippines... they have as bad if not worse problems in healthcare, transport and housing. Yet, they can boast International race circuits that hold many meets on a monthly basis. Do you see everyone shouting and screaming? Cars brought into those countries have a similar tax deduction plan for racing. You got to start somewhere to get anywhere. Criticizing all the time isn't the way to go forward.. must be a Lankan trait hence we go backward...

• Like 1