• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Ford Focus Thread

Crosswind

9 hours ago, Quiet said:

Congrats on your purchase. Any idea when this IOS update will come. My car came with a Europe map SD and not having navigation is a headache. was thinking of buying a small android phone to be kept in the car so that i can use Andoid Auto

According to some Apple fans site, iOS 12 should be released in September, 2018 and Google maps and Waze can be used in Apple CarPlay as third party apps

On 7/30/2018 at 4:36 PM, mazdaspeed said:

@tbird

Congrats on your purchase- She looks nice. Do update the fuel figures also- that way users may be convinced to look at Ford as an option as well.

Yeah, will update the fuel figures after 1500-2000 km. At the moment it shows an average between 8-10 km/l in normal traffic and hilly road in Kandy. I expect 10-12 km/l in the city and around 15km/l in long distance after the break in period.

I also bought 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost hatchback few months back. That's a pretty fun to drive car. Fuel consumption is around 8-9 kmpl in city limits in rush hours, outstation 15-16 and around 18kmpl in expressway.
Got superb acceleration & couldn't feel you drive a 1.0L car. Very stable in high speeds. I did around 195kmph in expressway without any issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dulan Hasaranga said:

I also bought 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost hatchback few months back. That's a pretty fun to drive car. Fuel consumption is around 8-9 kmpl in city limits in rush hours, outstation 15-16 and around 18kmpl in expressway.
Got superb acceleration & couldn't feel you drive a 1.0L car. Very stable in high speeds. I did around 195kmph in expressway without any issue.

195 km/h? ?

43 minutes ago, Dulan Hasaranga said:

Yep

I am not doubting you or anything. But having driven in overseas motorways and comparing them against Sri Lankan i dont think thats such a wise thing to do. Especially because the local motorway lanes are rather narrow ( only two lanes) , and on top of it having much narrower shoulders , which in turn creates a risk where our Sri Lankan people have this weird habit of stopping in the shoulder to have tea/ watch the nature rather than using the welipenna rest. Also, the road discipline in the highway is very less where people on the left lane quckly shift to the right lane without properly understanding the braking distance of the vehicle which is oncoming in the overtaking lane. 

Drive safe. I think 100Kmh is the best speed for safety + law 

Peace my friend...

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Sadik said:

I am not doubting you or anything. But having driven in overseas motorways and comparing them against Sri Lankan i dont think thats such a wise thing to do. Especially because the local motorway lanes are rather narrow ( only two lanes) , and on top of it having much narrower shoulders , which in turn creates a risk where our Sri Lankan people have this weird habit of stopping in the shoulder to have tea/ watch the nature rather than using the welipenna rest. Also, the road discipline in the highway is very less where people on the left lane quckly shift to the right lane without properly understanding the braking distance of the vehicle which is oncoming in the overtaking lane. 

Drive safe. I think 100Kmh is the best speed for safety + law 

Peace my friend...

Yep I totally agree with you. I always strik to the speed limit. But I only did to test the capability of the car.
:action-smiley-035:

1 hour ago, Dulan Hasaranga said:

Yep I totally agree with you. I always strik to the speed limit. But I only did to test the capability of the car.
:action-smiley-035:

Do you have dual clutch transmission or 6 speed automatic (6F15) in your Fiesta? Did you import it directly from the UK?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 8:34 PM, tbird said:

Did not check about Fiesta 1l ecoboost but they may import it as well. The sales guy said they are bringing 6 Focus 1l ecoboost titaniums in this shipment and will be arrived mid July

Ford are planning to bring down the 1L Turbocharged ecosport next year. Currently it's priced at 6.8 M (1.5 L) they are actually waiting for the budget. The Focus is 1L Turbo is priced at 5.8 and the Fiesta at 5.6 

Edited by matroska
typo

5 hours ago, matroska said:

Ford are planning to bring down the 1L Turbocharged ecosport next year. Currently it's priced at 6.8 M (1.5 L) they are actually waiting for the budget. The Focus is 1L Turbo is priced at 5.8 and the Fiesta at 5.6 

Seems like even Scotty Kilmer seem to like the Ford 3cyl ecosport engines..

6 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Seems like even Scotty Kilmer seem to like the Ford 3cyl ecosport engines..

Yes, it is a great engine with good power and torque. You don’t feel it is 1l engine when driving and the low end torque is really great and you can overtake anything very quickly. I’m running this 1l ecoboost Ford Focus and now it clocked 1200km.

The eco part of this engine is bit tricky and you have to very very light foot to achieve it. Driving style of a hybrid do a trick otherwise it will give the fuel figures of the Ford 1.6 Duratec engine 

5 hours ago, tbird said:

The eco part of this engine is bit tricky and you have to very very light foot to achieve it. Driving style of a hybrid do a trick

Having had a GP1 i think you've already mastered that :D 

• 4 weeks later...

Now my Ford Focus 1l EcoBoost reached to 2800 km in the ODO, so decided to add my experience so far.

Handling.

1. Handling is really great specially when cornering. The independent suspension works really well. Never felt this kind of excitement from my previous Japanese cars. Handling of the Honda FIT GP1 was also great but this is brilliant.

2. The steering is very responsive and I can feel the road really well.

3. The car feels heavy when driving.

Comfort.

1. Even though it has stiff suspension, the ride is very comfortable

2. Dual zone climate control works really well.

3. Rear seat is very comfortable to 2 people, the center seat is not much comfortable for a long ride.

Performance.

1. Even though it has a 1l engine, the pulling power is great, I can say it better than a Toyota Premio.

2.  Low end torque is really good and you can overtake a slow vehicle quickly, when the turbo kicks in, it provides power can you can keep going without an issue.

3. The 6 speed automatic transmission is bit slow when transferring power. in Europe this Focus comes with Dual Clutch transmission and it has very good performance but Ford do not offer it to the cars selling to warm temperature zones like Sri Lanka and India.

4. In highway, you can easily come to the 100 km/h and you don't feel the speed

5. There is a turbo lag specially moving from a stand still apart from that I felt like I'm driving a car with 1.8l-2l engine.

Fuel Economy

1. In city driving, now it gives 10-11 km/l. This is in moderate traffic in Kandy and some up hill driving. Before 1500km it gave 8-9 km/l in the same route and it seems the fuel economy improved after the break in period.

2. In long distance, few round trips Kandy-Colombo-Kandy (including Colombo traffic), it scored 12.5-13 km/l

First Service at the Agent

1. First 1000 km service is an inspection only and they did not change oil. Asked me to come at 5000 km to do the first oil change, after that service interval 7500 km or 6 months.

2. They said they use 10W-30 oil. (In Europe they use 0W-20), it seems Ford recommends higher viscosity fuels for 'Warm temperature zones'.

3. According to the Ford ETIS, my car is developed for 'Warm Temperature zones' (Europe is 'Normal Temperature zone' and Middle east is 'Hot temperature zone'

Thanks Croswind for suggesting me to create a Ford ETIS account, it provides very good information about the car according to VIN and I can also get the maintenance schedules as well

Edited by tbird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Car_Buddy said:

Seems it's true and it reads Ford had been aware of the matter for more than 5 f**king years. Jeezz! :o 

Yeah, this is true. Initially Ford provided brittle plastic hose from coolant reservoir but most of these brittle hoses were cracked with the engine temperature since this is a turbo charged engine. There was a recall and replaced the brittle plastic hose with a flexible rubber hose to resolve this issue.

That lady mentioned in the BBC article has started the Facebook page called Ecoboost nightmare, when I go through those posts, it seems some have not fixed brittle coolant hose (they call it degas hose) after the recall and according to most of these posts (specially from ladies), they have not checked whats under the bonnet and if they check it regularly they can see coolant loss.

As precaution I check the coolant level every weekend and specially check coolant level and engine oil level before starting a long journey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All

I have Ford Focus MK3.5 2016 (Facelift Titanium) 1-liter eco boost 6-speed manual 92kw 125HP.  Such a wonderful car to drive. Bought the car in Italy for 18,500 Euros brand new.

Apart from the Titanium trim package option list, I've added, automated pilot parking, (it never let me down a single time even in the tight parallel parking spot in crowded Milan area), Start and Stop, Rear cam, parking sensors 360 degrees, keyless entry and so on. Personally, I hate the Start and stop. The system is smooth and very intelligent. The moment you touch the accelerator pedal, the engine kicks in, but I hate to use. Usually, the first thing I'm doing get in the car and switch off the start and stop. ? 

Economy :

Without the start and stop, she is doing 14.5km per litre at this moment. I'm doing short trips a lot. ODD just passed 23,000kms.

Most of the time I'm very easy with the acceleration peddle, That little engine is very punchy, she never let me down in Italian highways.

Car suspension is, a little bit stiffer comparing to Volkswagon golf, that stiffness is good to reduce body roll and greater handling.

Steering, peddles, shifter not too tight, not too soft, they nailed it to the perfect balance. Ford Europe always know the sweets spot driving dynamics and comfort.

In the summertime, I'm driving factory fitted Michelin primacy 3 tyres, they are super grippy, you can get the corner like a pro. But in Winter time I bought cheap Nankang, the grip is not that much, but for winter rain and snow, it's doing its job for the price, no complain. But if someone really needs to enjoy your Focus, get a good set of tyres. of course in Sri Lanka, there are no such a thing call winter tyres. lol.

Complaints:

not much, I'm not a fan of the interior, it could be improved, There are some cheap plastics, sometimes start to rattle in rough roads. But they address it in the new 2019 MK4 focus. I've got Sync 2 infotainment system. Not a huge fan of it. The system is bit laggy, complicated menus. Sync 3 is awesome with Apple car pay and Android auto. The dealership is charging around 2000 Euros to upgrade, not worthy!!!

Here is my thought :

I'm only recommending this car for enthusiastic drivers or joy riders. Especially in Sri Lankan harsh weather and road conditions, the ride could be uncomfortable. You need to take care of this baby. If you want to keep the car longer, you have to service timing belts, aux belts, flush coolant on time. (every 10 years or 100000kms. Check ETIS with your VIN) This little engine relies on the coolant. Without proper cooling system, you will damage the engine over time. Try to use genuine oil and filters. 

In Europe, my service intervals are - 20,000 km or 1 Year. 5W20 Castrol with Ford OEM parts. But for Sri Lankan climate, I would say service the car every 6 months, at least change the air filter. 

As you might know, Ford USA drop their entire car lineup except for the Mustang. In the US they will continue to focus on Pickups, SUVs and electric market. Now Ford Europe has the magic stick to make the Ford Focus even better. They are really pushing quality perspective. Focus main rival is VW Gold, so you got what I mean right? Others left behind in this price range and segment. Before committing to the Ford Focus, I was shortlisted, Honda Civic, Toyota Auris, Kia Ceed, Volvo Volvo v40.

No offence, Honda civic, that designer tried soo hard. lol. Honda civic is never settling in design wise. Focus got more civilised, smooth subtle europian look and feel.

Toyota Auris sucks in every perspective. Kia offers mindblowing 7 years of warranty, but, hmm no. Volvo is way too expensive. Golf, I don't like that dated design. These are my personal tastes and perspectives. Please do not get offended if I mention your favourite car model.

Hope my experience was useful to someone as a buying guide. 

01-focus-magnetic-grey-5p-front.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/27/2018 at 4:22 PM, tbird said:

Finally I received my Ford Focus. It is a generation 3 model and generation 4 will be released in Q3 in Europe but the agent in Sri Lanka import 3rd Generation model in Titanium trim. However it seems this Titanium trim is customized for Sri Lanka or similar markets since some of the options available in UK titanium model cannot be seen. (Examples, leather seats, Auto breaking, B pillar key pad etc.).

It has 8'' touch screen Sync 3 infortainment system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The Carplay works well but have to wait until iOS 12 to use Google maps in it.

The model comes with 1.0l ecoboost engine and 6F15, 6 speed automatic transmission (not the dual clutch transmission). The engine has 123 bhp and 170 nm torque. Will update the fuel economy after 1500-2000 km and minimum 95 octane should be used.

Yesterday I picked the car and drove to Kandy from Colombo and I did not feel it as a car with 1l engine. The engine is refined and you cannot feel the vibration common to 3 pot engines. The acceleration is also good and you can glide in 70 km/h less than 2k rpm. Did not do any hard accelerations since the engine break-in period is around 1000-1500 km but I had to overtake one 40ft container once and when the turbo kicks in, the the car performs really well.

The build quality is great and it is a really nice car to drive. Very comfortable and handles well. My old car was a Honda Fit GP1 and missed the magic seat arrangement in it but Focus too have good rear leg space. Some of the pictures are given below.

The color is Blazer Blue.

I purchased this for a special discounted price and the current selling price is 5.85 millions.

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

You got the kinda Honda magic seat in the focus. check out the pic, just lift the seat from behind and fold it down. you have a very flat surface. I got the same model, but hatchback, very practical. Nice choice, the sedan is very elegant.

2830.jpg

• Thanks 1