• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Ford Focus Thread

Crosswind

1 hour ago, DinukaD said:

Hi, Thank 4 all of ur opinions.

Crishan, u right, it is in that site (blue one).

The car may be a seized one. But need to verify. There was a another white colour one with 44k on clock by same seller with same price (2.5 mil) , but it was sold in few days. this is 100k on clock and still remains.

But anyway, what about have a good check and test run at spot and decide whether to buy or not..?

Cuz, though I'm aware of risk, i'm love to buy this car.. because it it a good looking new car to fit my budget. paying little more for repairs is OK to be, but not in millions..!!

Any more advice or opinions please..? 

Crosswind is spot on.

A popular insurance company in SL had a good quote in Sinhala. "Laabai, Baalai"

Paying the correct price for a well maintained car sold by a genuine user, will enable you to enjoy your ride for many years to come. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, DinukaD said:

Hi, Thank 4 all of ur opinions.

Crishan, u right, it is in that site (blue one).

The car may be a seized one. But need to verify. There was a another white colour one with 44k on clock by same seller with same price (2.5 mil) , but it was sold in few days. this is 100k on clock and still remains.

But anyway, what about have a good check and test run at spot and decide whether to buy or not..?

Cuz, though I'm aware of risk, i'm love to buy this car.. because it it a good looking new car to fit my budget. paying little more for repairs is OK to be, but not in millions..!!

Any more advice or opinions please..? 

Right reasons to buy a used Euro:

1. You have some experience with cars (you are able to diagnose basic problems yourself before going to a garage)

2. You have spare cash to take it to a good place for repairs (agents or a place with good facilities) not the neighborhood under-the-mango-tree mechanic

3. You have an interest in upkeep of the car and you will treat it like a family member

4. You have online shopping (esp. ebay UK) experience and know how to look for the right parts

5. You are not worried about recovering the money you spend on the car, when you finally sell it

Wrong reasons to buy a used Euro:

1. Its cheap (a.k.a. 'fits my budget')

2. It looks good 

3. I am some kind of aristocrat who wants to look different from the 3,300 proles I know

4. I like the extra options it has (the DRLs, the HIDs, the Sunroof etc. etc.)

5. I don't like Indian cars and I can't afford a Japanese car

You decide...

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

Actually I'm a NDES automotive person and already doing repairs of various cars myself.

I just wanted to know the user experience of that car because I don't have any experience of euro's before.

Labour is usually not a matter to me, only matter is expensive replacements and some sort of "endless troubles".

Anyway. thank you all for your opinions and advices..!

Will think again before proceed..!

You have already ticked a couple of right reasons. 

As for 'endless troubles' I got with the car - in the past 5 years and 10 months of my ownership, I have replaced a broken bonnet lock and a small piece of plastic that connects the gear shifter's links.

(of course I am not counting replaced brake pads, tires, batteries, spark plugs etc. which fall under preventive maintenance)

Edit: If there's a way you can bring the car to where I am located, I'll be happy to take a look at it and give my opinion. PM me for the location and contact details.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Can anyone please help me here?

I have a 2010, 11 registered Ford Focus. Recently my fan stopped working and I gave it to a local garage to fix. He managed to find a similar fan from a European car, but that broke as well. Is there a place where I can get a fan? The agent (softlogic) doesn't seem to have it as well.

Thanks!

Dimuth

• MADZ featured this topic
1 hour ago, Dimuthdemel said:

Hi,

I have a 2010, 11 registered Ford Focus. Recently my fan stopped working and I gave it to a local garage to fix. He managed to find a similar fan from a European car, but that broke as well. Is there a place where I can get a fan? The agent (softlogic) doesn't seem to have it as well.

Thanks!

Dimuth

Is it the radiator fan you are talking about? And also what do you mean by brake? Did it break in to pieces, stop working, burned?

You need to figure out the root cause of your problem which may lie elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Dimuthdemel said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Dimuth

if its an electric fan maybe the brushes are worn out? it may be possible to replace the brushes and use for some more time,although the housing is sealed.In my case it has worked for almost 2 years now(Audi),so didnt bother to replace although I have found a recondition unit in the mean-time.  If its the mechanical fan with gel-type clutch used for Radiator cooling etc,I think no other option but to replace the Clutch.

Edited by ajm

13 hours ago, Dimuthdemel said:

Hi,

Thanks!

Dimuth

Almost all modern cars come with a motor speed controller that allows the fan to run at different speeds depending on the temperature of the engine. I'm quite sure your car also has one (a black box mounted on the radiator fan bracket/shroud). If it does, you can't simply use any old motor and expect it to last like the original one did, because the speed controller is designed to work with a motor rated for that. I guess your replacement motor failed due to this. It can also be a faulty controller module as well, that's not outputting a stable DC voltage - I doubt this is the case. 

So  try to find the original motor or if you have the original one with you, check if it can be repaired. Although most of these motors are "sealed", they can be repaired with the right tools if you have no option. I have repaired a few myself. You also might want to check the output of the fan controller module if there is one. A simple voltage/current test with a multimeter while AC is on and off should give you two stable readings.

• 9 months later...

hello everyone,

I am owning a ford focus 2011 since 2017 december, car is really good and comfortable. My friends are having Toyota Axio 2017 and Honda Grace 2017 but both are impressed with the handling performances in  focus. specially on bend , car is really stable. I can see that most people says that car does around 12-13kmpl but in my case I manage to drive car at city and rural areas for 11 kmpl and in long runs with low traffic at 16kmpl and on highway 18 kmpl. I am having manual car. I was using octane 92 and car fuel economy was so good but i realized that ford only recommend to use  95 octane so I switched to it. 

I am having some questions regarding my selection.

1. Market Value and hard to sell in SL market

2. I am afraid about not having some parts in SL. ( I have not needed any parts yet, but some people says that you will face huge problems in future)

3. In original post I saw that only 50 cars in SL ( ford focus 2011 ) , is that true? if yes I am terrified , about parts.

4. Places to buy parts, 

5. I am having original tyres ( Michelin ) and now odometer is 55k. still tyres are not much bad. which tyres are economical to replace?

I am really new to this forum and this is my 1st car, so apologize me for any mistakes. Waiting for your suggestions.

• 1 month later...

I was checking to buy a brand new car for a 6-7 million but unable to find a good deal due to this ridiculous tax system. Did not want to buy Civic 1l turbo since those are grey imports and do not have a proper warranty. I was checking with car agents to find a good brand new vehicle for this price range. The Ford agents in Sri Lanka are bringing down 2018 Ford Focus 1l EcoBoost for 6.2 million and at the moment they have a promotion for 5.5 million with 5 year or 100,000 km drive-train warranty and 3 year or 60,000 km bumper to bumper warranty.

Unfortunately they do not have test run vehicle therefore they take refundable advance payment for the reservation of the car and their first shipment will be arrived in July. I did extensive online research and all the reviews say this is a good car. So made the refundable advance payment to reserve a car from the first batch.

2 hours ago, tbird said:

I was checking to buy a brand new car for a 6-7 million but unable to find a good deal due to this ridiculous tax system. Did not want to buy Civic 1l turbo since those are grey imports and do not have a proper warranty. I was checking with car agents to find a good brand new vehicle for this price range. The Ford agents in Sri Lanka are bringing down 2018 Ford Focus 1l EcoBoost for 6.2 million and at the moment they have a promotion for 5.5 million with 5 year or 100,000 km drive-train warranty and 3 year or 60,000 km bumper to bumper warranty.

Unfortunately they do not have test run vehicle therefore they take refundable advance payment for the reservation of the car and their first shipment will be arrived in July. I did extensive online research and all the reviews say this is a good car. So made the refundable advance payment to reserve a car from the first batch.

interesting... do Ford SL bring the 1L eco-sport and/or the 1L Fiesta to SL? Surprised that they don't do too much marketing. 

42 minutes ago, matroska said:

interesting... do Ford SL bring the 1L eco-sport and/or the 1L Fiesta to SL? Surprised that they don't do too much marketing. 

Did not check about Fiesta 1l ecoboost but they may import it as well. The sales guy said they are bringing 6 Focus 1l ecoboost titaniums in this shipment and will be arrived mid July

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2018 at 7:52 PM, tbird said:

It has 8'' touch screen Sync 3 infortainment system with Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The Carplay works well but have to wait until iOS 12 to use Google maps in it.

Congrats on your purchase. Any idea when this IOS update will come. My car came with a Europe map SD and not having navigation is a headache. was thinking of buying a small android phone to be kept in the car so that i can use Andoid Auto