• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project E34

esdeez

Ok, so somewhat inspired by Jaliya48's post on his corolla, I thought of creating a thread on my BMW 520i (E34). I have quite a few plans for her, but I'll keep it simple for now, proceeding slowly (as and when the funds become available, hehe) and let the car do the talking :)

My 3rd BMW, the car is a '94 520iA, with the vanos equipped M50TU engine. A few things make this car stand out; namely it is (currently) the only E34 in Sri Lanka with a LSD fitted, and also has the rare option of Servo-tronic power-steering (Marketing speak for "faster you go, heavier the steering gets). It was also fitted with self-leveling suspension when it left the factory, but alas, that's been removed by a previous owner due to its complexity and cost to maintain. Other than that its loaded with all the electric goodies one may need from a car approaching two decades in age.

After I first bought her a few months ago:

2012-08-11174933.jpg

First thing on the to-do list was a body-kit (I had already purchased the M-Tech kit for my previous car)

Due to time constraints (and my need for transport) it was put on in stages. Below is with only the front bumper: (Photoshopped the number-plate mount off)

IMG_3618-Edit.jpg

Then the rest came...

20120915_202202.jpg

20120915_192951.jpg

20120922_174420.jpg

Next up was the installation of some new Head Lights.

Again they were originally intended for my previous car, but were too hard to get a hold of to let them go. They're genuine Hella Smoked units, quite hard to come by unless you live in Germany:

As you can see the previous owner had the CCFL halos fitted.

335636_3063812149622_857574875_o.jpg

I opted to replace them with more powerful LED units (which work excellently as DRLs, as they're bright enough to be seen during the day).

Modeled by my old 518 below:

423114_3115242835357_296865170_n.jpg

And finally, how she is today:

IMG_6450-Edit.jpg

The previous owner had changed the rims to the ones you see now - 16's off a E39 - and fitted L.E.D rear lights. Whether both these items stay or go is up for debate... Also as you may notice from the above picture I need the tow-hook covers for the M-Tech bumper, a pain to find :/

I'll try and keep the thread update with progress, and get a few more shots, including the interior too, but for now, I hope you appreciate my ride. :D

• Like 8

Big e34 fan here. I was actually planning on breaking an m5 while I was in uni to do up a car here in sl. But within 2 years e34 m5 prices went up so much the e39 m5 is now cheaper.

Anyway I had two wheel choices for my planned m5 project. Both from the right period. ish. See if they work for you.

2242080010_large.jpgE34-M5_M_Prll_Spoke_Wheel.jpg

Yup, the throwing stars (1st pictured) are one of my personal favorites, and are perfect for Sri Lankan roads as they're built with so much strength. Another cool feature of those is the fact that the cover's are designed to funnel air to cool the brakes. Definitely a win there. But again, as you said, E34 M5 prices are rising, and so too are the cost of wheels such as that. Plus, although period correct - I'm inclined to think that although being 17s they still look smaller.

The 2nd pic is of some M-Parallels, which are just beautiful, and already on the one E34 M5 we have here. But these only ever came in 18's, and on our roads I'm not quite ready to take that risk.

Here's a pic of some style 32s I'm quite fond of, and can be found in staggered form:

5302-2.jpg

Edited by esdeez

Yup, the throwing stars (1st pictured) are one of my personal favorites, and are perfect for Sri Lankan roads as they're built with so much strength. Another cool feature of those is the fact that the cover's are designed to funnel air to cool the brakes. Definitely a win there. But again, as you said, E34 M5 prices are rising, and so too are the cost of wheels such as that. Plus, although period correct - I'm inclined to think that although being 17s they still look smaller.

The 2nd pic is of some M-Parallels, which are just beautiful, and already on the one E34 M5 we have here. But these only ever came in 18's, and on our roads I'm not quite ready to take that risk.

Here's a pic of some style 32s I'm quite fond of, and can be found in staggered form:

5302-2.jpg

Now this is more like it!

She looks super already man! About time you put up an AL thread... Any pics of her chasing SLARDAR? :P

Ah yes, of course. Decked out in AutoLanka Livery too. 670kms in 3 days over some truely awesome roads, and some not so great ones too :P Really needed the power to keep up at times, but some of the roads were a bit cringe worthy. A trip to the agents for a check-up since has revealed I need a few new bushes and other suspension components, nothing too serious for now though.

Since you asked, here we are at Foxhill :D

20121027_173927.jpg

there actually is one in lanka??

Damn, she's a definite head turner, the front looks amazing. But IMO those rear LED aren't really mixing with the theme of the car.I would have gone with the stock lights and also would have replaced the rear yellow plates with probably a white! Good luck

Edited by CyRaX

@esdeez, I might be alone here but I think the wheels you have on are very cool. I prefer the original tail lamps though. For me these new ones devalues the look.

Damn, she's a definite head turner, the front looks amazing. But IMO those rear LED aren't really mixing with the theme of the car.I would have gone with the stock lights and also would have replaced the rear yellow plates with probably a white! Good luck

Wheels will probably stay the same for some time me thinks. They've recently grown on me again, but definitely will look at upgrading to 17s at some point. On the subject of the tail lamps, Let me put out a feeler:

2vs5ldk.jpg

Above is a set of original Hella Smoked Tail lamps with the number plate filler. These are very very rare, and quite hard to get a hold of too (in any condition), but for some reason I've always loved it. The Number plate filler alone just fills out the rear end imo, and makes a very nice contrast. Thoughts and opinions?

Another pic:

IMG_00198080808800.jpg

Ahhh, its you. Thought that number plate was familiar, but didn't place it till now :)

Was it you I saw near royal institute at around 2 today? Car is an absolute peach mate. Hats off.

I'm doing a little bit of a project myself. Spoke to supra about starting a new thread for it. But like you said, I'll wait for the parts to arrive before posting... :)

Yes it is I! :P And @komisiripala, indeed I've been hearing a lot about your project from a mutual friend, (who just happened to be driving her at 2ish :P)

Edited by esdeez

Wheels will probably stay the same for some time me thinks. They've recently grown on me again, but definitely will look at upgrading to 17s at some point. On the subject of the tail lamps, Let me put out a feeler:

2vs5ldk.jpg

Above is a set of original Hella Smoked Tail lamps with the number plate filler. These are very very rare, and quite hard to get a hold of too (in any condition), but for some reason I've always loved it. The Number plate filler alone just fills out the rear end imo, and makes a very nice contrast. Thoughts and opinions?

Another pic:

IMG_00198080808800.jpg

GO FOR IT! :action-smiley-035: